Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #676 of 3,545
These better be made in Deutschland!  I hate seeing all these German brands outsourcing recently (AKG in there too Austria not excluded!).  I know the 800s are but other than that they're all made elsewhere now, 598 and down are China, 600/650 are Ireland.  I have the 598s and they're still of good quality, but I'd much rather know that quality electronics are made in house by their respective companies. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #677 of 3,545

Quote:
These better be made in Deutschland!  I hate seeing all these German brands outsourcing recently (AKG in there too Austria not excluded!).  I know the 800s are but other than that they're all made elsewhere now, 598 and down are China, 600/650 are Ireland.  I have the 598s and they're still of good quality, but I'd much rather know that quality electronics are made in house by their respective companies. 

What's wrong with Ireland?

FWIW I believe someone has chimed in saying that these are also made there.  I do not know the accuracy of that statement however.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #678 of 3,545

Quote:
What's wrong with Ireland?

FWIW I believe someone has chimed in saying that these are also made there.  I do not know the accuracy of that statement however.

The HD700 is designed in Germany and assembled in Ireland. 

(http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_audiophile-headphones_504963)

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #679 of 3,545
Which says nothing of where the actual parts are made. "Assembled" just means the parts are put together, "designed" just means where the engineers live.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #680 of 3,545

Quote:
Which says nothing of where the actual parts are made. "Assembled" just means the parts are put together, "designed" just means where the engineers live.

So we should be looking for a made in
ph34r.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #681 of 3,545
Not necessarily. Place of design in important. Kind of like "Designed in Cupertino California but Made in China"

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #682 of 3,545
Well honestly I think where something is made matters less than people think. It can mean something, but quality control and component quality and design is overall far more important than what country does anything. Basically... the end result is all that matters.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #684 of 3,545

Quote:

Just curious, but isn't made in the same thing as assembled in?

"made in" usually refer to the parts and assemble are in the same country.
"assembled in" refer to the parts made on a or various different country then assembled in that country

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #685 of 3,545
Well technically, the components could have been made in 34 different countries and then shipped to a final spot for final assembly (and usually packaging).

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #686 of 3,545

Quote:

Just curious, but isn't made in the same thing as assembled in?

Legally, yes.

And yes, quality control is all the difference.  Contrast QC of Grados versus HD 598s.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #687 of 3,545

Quote:
"made in" usually refer to the parts and assemble are in the same country.
"assembled in" refer to the parts made on a or various different country then assembled in that country

Quote:
Well technically, the components could have been made in 34 different countries and then shipped to a final spot for final assembly (and usually packaging).

Quote:
Legally, yes.

And yes, quality control is all the difference.  Contrast QC of Grados versus HD 598s.

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #689 of 3,545
Nice - I was waiting for these to come.

I have spoken to Sennheiser UK who are hoping they will sell for £599 in the UK (almost half the 800 and fill the gap between the 650 and 800).

I understand that the 700 has a slightly smaller ring driver than the 800.

Maybe I will get a listen at the Bristol Hi-Fi show next month.

Now - all I am waiting for is for Sennheiser to bring out some closed cans at a similar price using the same driver...................  pretty please ..............

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #690 of 3,545

Quote:

The 800 and, I am sure, the 700 are made in Germany.

My HD 25-1 were made in Germany, though current ones are made in Ireland.

Most other headphones are made at Sennheiser's custom-built factory in Ireland - the factory is totally Sennheiser and is in Ireland because the Irish government gave them lots of tax incentives to build it there in a place of high unemployment.

As far as I know it's only the in-ear stuff that is made in Sennheiser's Chinese factory.

Sennheiser do also have a factory and research facility in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back