Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #226 of 9,298
Quote:
I would seriously suggest staying away from the HD700. Wait for Senn to release an HD750. The HD700 has caused tinnitus for some people (hearing damage). 

I think you're talking absolute rubbish myself but think for others you should substantiate this claim.

I have a long standing relationship with slight tinnitus in my left ear and listening through my HD700's hasn't exacerbated the problem just as not listening to them for several days hasn't made it go away either.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #227 of 9,298
Hearing damage is caused by sound pressure levels. We say "hurts our ears" when we hear a sound frequency we don't like and might even get a headache from straining our hearing around it, but I seriously doubt any specific headphone is more likely to produce tinnitus than another.
Very silly.

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #228 of 9,298
I would seriously suggest staying away from the HD700. Wait for Senn to release an HD750. The HD700 has caused tinnitus for some people (hearing damage). 

Fyi I bought them and I absolutely love their sound, warm and transparent at the same time. Cannot hear any harsness, at least with my Asgard, but I can agree that some pop track may sound a bit too thin. Hearing damage can occur for eccessive sound pressure, but surely not from how are voiced headphones: plz do not spread such misinformation, just don't buy them if you don't like.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #229 of 9,298
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm saying that's what happens. The treble is incredibly harsh and peaky.

Somehow I doubt you ever heard the HD700,  or my pair is faulty 
rolleyes.gif

I'm saying what I've seen on this thread. Go back a few pages. Judging by what has been said in this thread I will not ever be buying one.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #230 of 9,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The hd700   have lot of treble peaks:
- it can be fatiguing, and even induce tinnitus for some people
- it can give a fake sense of  "more" details
- treble can sound harsh
- can still sound more "exciting" on some tracks, and depending of people taste
- so much treble peaks as such price, is a blasphemy for some.
That's surprising when  you compare with the very smooth treble of hd800.
If you enjoy treble peaks, it seems you can spend less on other headphones, such like grados.

This.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #232 of 9,298
Nov 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #234 of 9,298
My HD700's do have a peak at about 6khz, but on my many recordings, that doesn't present much of a problem.
Are there times I feel the need to turn them down?  Yes.  Am I happy with them?  Pretty much.  I find they
are much more revealing of various rectifiers and power tubes in my WA6.  I also find that there is quite a
bit of detail to be heard without high volume levels.  The soundstage width and depth is excellent and the
bass, while not "abundant" is certainly adequate.  When I want a more "fun" tonal palette I use my Denon
D7000.

I've been in the audio hobby for 40 years and by far the most opinionated group and those most given to 
hyperbole are those in head-fi.   It's such a personal hobby and one person's "unbearably bright" is another's
"analytical and revealing".  Opinions are like noses...everyone has one.  Spouting opinion without experience
is the bane of the 'net, but alas, a common practice.  Listen before you buy...if at all possible.  If not, read the
posts of those you have come to trust and who have similar tastes in music...et. al...that you do.  I doubt that
any particular headphone "causes" tinnitus...regardless of who posted the comment.  OTOH, high volume
levels will...and do cause long term damage.  I have experience here...both with a wife who is an audiologist
and having been a long term H-D rider with loud pipes.  I thought it made no difference.  Now I'm living with
the results.

YMMV,
Hibuck.....

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #235 of 9,298
It is not dependent on the treble peaks but on how sensitive your hearing is. If you are really sensitive to harsh trebles and peaks in the upper region of the spectrum, you will find it very uncomfortable to listen to music.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #236 of 9,298
I had to get rid of the Beyerdynamic T1 because I didn't like the slightly piercing treble. It is personal. I've felt that using a "darker" phone (HE-500, HD650) is better in the long run. Though will have to test the HD800 someday.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #237 of 9,298
Hi everyone, this is my first post on head-fi.
Just got my HD700 5 minutes ago and they sound amazing even from the sound card I have at work(Xonar DX). Treble is a bit harsh from my first impression and crystal clear. Overall they are way past my HD 598. Got them for 620$ due to a price mix-up. Can't wait to see what they sound like with proper amplification. Next month I will place an order for a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade that will run from my Titanium HD.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #238 of 9,298
Quote:
Hi everyone, this is my first post on head-fi.
Just got my HD700 5 minutes ago and they sound amazing even from the sound card I have at work(Xonar DX). Treble is a bit harsh from my first impression and crystal clear. Overall they are way past my HD 598. Got them for 620$ due to a price mix-up. Can't wait to see what they sound like with proper amplification. Next month I will place an order for a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade that will run from my Titanium HD.

Initially I noticed too some harshness on certain pop tracks, where sound was a bit thin and sibilants were too much intrusive.
However, after few hours of burning in (about 15) treble feel a lot smoother and the same tracks do not annoy me anymore.
I read on Headphonia that Bottlehead Crack is a perfect match for HD700 but, even if I bet they really love tubes, I'm enjoying them very much with Asgard + iStreamer. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #239 of 9,298
Hey all,

newbie here! I love listening to lossless music and watch a lot of films and do some serious gaming. Instead of wasting money on garbage gaming headphones I've decided to buy the Sennheiser HD 700. I will do a clip on mic for voice chat during gaming. So I have a few questions

1) I have a asus xonar essence stx sound card in my pc with a built in headphone amp. Will this be suitable to get the best sound out of my HD 700's while using my pc?

2) I need help finding the right amp to allow me to run a mic, my HD 700, and hookup to a ps3 & pc. 

3) Should I be buying an amp specifically for gaming to enable sound profiles that identify directional effects more so than background noise?

4) What do you personally hook up to your HD 700 to use them and for what scenario / type of listening is happening when you are?

Thanks so much for your time!

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #240 of 9,298
Quote:
Hey all,

newbie here! I love listening to lossless music and watch a lot of films and do some serious gaming. Instead of wasting money on garbage gaming headphones I've decided to buy the Sennheiser HD 700. I will do a clip on mic for voice chat during gaming. So I have a few questions

1) I have a asus xonar essence stx sound card in my pc with a built in headphone amp. Will this be suitable to get the best sound out of my HD 700's while using my pc?

2) I need help finding the right amp to allow me to run a mic, my HD 700, and hookup to a ps3 & pc. 

3) Should I be buying an amp specifically for gaming to enable sound profiles that identify directional effects more so than background noise?

4) What do you personally hook up to your HD 700 to use them and for what scenario / type of listening is happening when you are?

Thanks so much for your time!

If you want a gaming headphone the HD700 is a bit overkill, but if you're gonna use it for other things I guess not.

1: I don't think the Asus can handle the HD700.
2: N/A
3: I doubt such a thing exists, just use the same amp you normally would.
4: N/A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back