Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #8,881 of 9,329
Wow the sonarworks eq is something else...better than the auto harman ones for sure.
It certainly is! I've not been as impressed with it on the 58X, 6XX, HD800, or Elear (for Elex) in terms of it totally transforming the sound.

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #8,882 of 9,329
It is very strange to me to see the widespread acceptance of the harman target for measurements, whilst also accepting that a headphone measuring completely flat on the target will sound bright in the low and mid treble, with way too much treble energy overall. Seems like an inaccurate target that should be adjusted.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #8,883 of 9,329
It's been quite a long time since I've listened to my HD700 and I've noticed it's time to replace the pads and I was wondering what people think of the Dekoni Velour pads? I have them on a few of my other headphones but compared to the stock 700 pads they seem quite large and I was wanting to know how that affects the sound because I don't want it to really change too much if any.

Have you seen the Dekoni measurements of the HD 700 pads? I got to hear them while doing photography for Dekoni (full disclosure, I am a consultant, and I take photos and record videos for Dekoni, and I was helping them with graphs at one point), and I felt like the impact on the HD 700 with Dekoni velour pads was a positive one. It evened out some of the dips in the upper midrange. Of course personal taste is often important in pad swaps, and not all pad swaps are clear winners (especially when changing materials), but I really feel like the HD 700 in particular is worth hearing with the velours. Have a look at the (raw) graphs, and see if it looks appealing (though let your ears be the final judge!):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dekoni-audio-and-better-measurements.887247/#post-15179923

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #8,884 of 9,329
Wow the sonarworks eq is something else...better than the auto harman ones for sure.
Their compensation curve isn’t targeting perfectly flat, IIRC. I heard they were actually targeting something close to the HD 650, but I can’t verify that.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #8,885 of 9,329
It looks like the elite velour pads decrease 3.5k but increase the 6k spike over stock. I'll have to give them a try someday.

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #8,886 of 9,329
It looks like the elite velour pads decrease 3.5k but increase the 6k spike over stock. I'll have to give them a try someday.
Wait, I’m actually thinking of the fenestrated sheepskin 😂
The treble spike and midrange are closer to eachother, and I feel it sounds more balanced. Not flat, not dull, but more balanced. Dekoni aligns (“volume matches”) each pad based on a 300 Hz tone, but if you think about them as volume matched at 2 kHz or 4 kHz, you can see the treble still has the expected spike but it’s not as much “louder” dB relative to the midrange. I don’t listen to frequency sweeps (at least, not usually, not for fun), but the smoother transition from the mids through the treble does seem to result in a more cohesive signature.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #8,887 of 9,329
Well, my impressions of the sound are great. But after a litte more than two years of not heavy usage (too many cans:scream:) the headband started to dissolve:

Senn 700 Headband dissolving.jpg

I know I have oily skin, but it can't be that corrosive…

May 25, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #8,888 of 9,329
Well, my impressions of the sound are great. But after a litte more than two years of not heavy usage (too many cans:scream:) the headband started to dissolve:

Sorry for the bad luck. After more than three years of careful but pretty heavy use (while I almost never use the HD700 for music any more, it remains my primary TV headphone and I'm retired and watch a lot of TV) my headband padding appears to still be perfect. I did recently find a small tear in the seam of one of my earcup pads. A little black tape seems to do the trick until I get around to replacing it, probably with Dekoni.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #8,890 of 9,329

Senn 700 Headband dissolving.jpg

Gosh...the same thing is happening to mine, though to a lesser degree. Not sure if it's because i left it too long in the box. I've already replaced the earpads but can't find a replacement for the headband pad in stock anywhere... :/

May 29, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #8,891 of 9,329
Gosh...the same thing is happening to mine, though to a lesser degree. Not sure if it's because i left it too long in the box. I've already replaced the earpads but can't find a replacement for the headband pad in stock anywhere... :/

Same problem here, although one might think in Germany a replacement should be available. But no…

For the time being I scraped off all the excess material an now I think about what kind of cover I can pull over the headband. Some kind of sock maybe… Strangely my earpads show no kind of wear anywhere btw.

May 29, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #8,892 of 9,329
May 30, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #8,893 of 9,329
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #8,895 of 9,329
I have an R70x. Is it worth upgrading to the HD700s or should I jump straight to the HD800's or HD660S? Also, why does everyone hate the HD700s (like Z Reviews)?

Hd700 is incredibly source sensitive and can sound very harsh on the wrong setup. If your setup pairs well you won't have any issues.

Comparing against r70x is hard for me since I haven't heard r70x yet, but hd700 would more or less of a less technical headphone than r70x, with impressions from my friends on r70x. But hd700 has a unique coloration that sounds very engaging with the right setup, hear one before you buy.

If you're trying to move up from r70x, hd800 may be a good choice but there is no guarantee you'll like it.

Before jumping up anywhere, I'd recommend to try a good amp on your r70x if you haven't yet. Something like the fiio k5 pro is like only 150$ and should give a big improvement over most cheap setups.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back