Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #8,281 of 9,298
I ordered a pair from ebay and they don't fit correctly and it looks like the same one from AliExpress. If you look at the mounting hooks of the OEM version it has a ridge which is missing on the knock-offs and I could never get them to clip on. If anyone has found ones that work other than OEM ones I'd like to know where to get them since $82 is a bit much and almost as bad as OEM Grado G-pads ($40) which is only a piece of foam and they don't seem to last more than a year and a half. See the picture below:
HD700 Ear pads-compare.jpg
Original on the left, knock-off on the right

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #8,282 of 9,298
If you look at the mounting hooks of the OEM version it has a ridge which is missing on the knock-offs and I could never get them to clip on.

That's not a ridge, that's a mounting ring. It's a separate part that does not come with replacement pads (neither knock-offs nor Sennheiser). You should detach it from the original pad and attach it to the new pad.

I'd be really weary due to how much pads can effect headphones like the HD700 or HD650.

Well, I used RS160 pads with HD700 and they're much thicker and made of different materials - standard velour, probably different foam. They didn't change the sound much but they were definitely less comfortable due to having less space around the ears.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #8,283 of 9,298
That's not a ridge, that's a mounting ring. It's a separate part that does not come with replacement pads (neither knock-offs nor Sennheiser). You should detach it from the original pad and attach it to the new pad.

Wait, so you can buy the mounting rings separately from Sennheiser, or from anyone for that matter?

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #8,284 of 9,298
Yes, from Sennheiser. The exact name is "acoustic baffle ring", part number 549057. You have to make a special order to get it (distributors usually do not have this part and have to order it from the manufacturer), the waiting time was about 2 weeks in my case. But I live in Poland, it could be longer for the US. The cost is about $15 for 1 ring (not for 1 pair, they're sold separately, you'll have to order 2, so in total it's about $30). But if you do have these rings, ordering them does not make much sense, you can easily take them off your old pads and attach them to your new ones.

I know all this because I had to order them. I bought my HD700 used without pads and unfortunately the rings were missing too.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #8,285 of 9,298

I didn't look at DavidA's picture closely enough; this clarified it. I learned all about the baffle rings when I installed the Mod House mod (since removed). They snap into the earcup independently and the actual pads attach to them. It's easy to believe them to be an integral part of the pad since both pieces will almost invariably snap out together when you remove the pad. But $15 each for these rings? They must cost Sennheiser all of a few cents apiece.

BTW, I've heard some indications that Dekoni (who recently introduced replacement pads for the HD600/650/6XX) may be developing pads for the HD700. They should be high quality and cheaper than the Sennheiser replacements but a lot more expensive than the Ebay knockoffs. I have no idea of when or if this will actually occur, but keep it in mind if you pads do not need immediate replacement.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #8,288 of 9,298
@rlisin, Thanks for correcting me, yes the rings come off and the knock off pads fit well. Man I feel like an idiot :laughing:

No problem, I learned that the hard way, having bought these headphones after the previous owner removed and probably threw away the (presumably damaged) original pads together with these rings. Fortunately I managed to get them via Sennheiser distributor, and even after adding the cost of these rings and new original earpads I still got my HD700 for less than $300.

BTW, the ebay knock offs are cheaper than original pads but not exactly cheap (about $30). The $10 knock offs are on AE. They might be from a different source (but also China).

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #8,289 of 9,298
No problem, I learned that the hard way, having bought these headphones after the previous owner removed and probably threw away the (presumably damaged) original pads together with these rings. Fortunately I managed to get them via Sennheiser distributor, and even after adding the cost of these rings and new original earpads I still got my HD700 for less than $300.

BTW, the ebay knock offs are cheaper than original pads but not exactly cheap (about $30). The $10 knock offs are on AE. They might be from a different source (but also China).
I paid $24 on ebay but I don't see the seller anymore so I might try the ones from AE. My originals are still in decent condition but there is a small tear on one and its why I took a chance with the ebay one. After doing some listening with both pads (it takes awhile to change pads due to the mounting ring) I actually like the knock-off ones better due to the better seal and what I feel is a touch more energy in the mid range since the knock-off are slightly thinner (1-2mm) than the OEM pads but the soundstage is also very slightly less expansive as well.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #8,291 of 9,298
So i decided to try hm5 hybird pads I had lying around and they are 10x better then stock pads.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #8,293 of 9,298
Got some pictures on how you mounted the HM5 pads? And why are they 10x better? sound? comfort?

right now I just took off the hd700 pads and loosely have the hm5 pads attached by pressure of the headphone. The comfort, sound.. everything is better. I am tempted to rip the hd700 pads off and mount the hm5 pads to the hd700 base.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #8,294 of 9,298
right now I just took off the hd700 pads and loosely have the hm5 pads attached by pressure of the headphone. The comfort, sound.. everything is better. I am tempted to rip the hd700 pads off and mount the hm5 pads to the hd700 base.
The stock pads come off quite easy after you remove the mounting ring that I missed :confounded:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back