Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #7,351 of 9,327
I like to make my own cables so it is hard for me to drop that kind of coin on a cable but after hearing this talk I might give one a try . I know that a cable can change the sound a bit as I made a balanced silver plate hybrid cable for my HE 400S and since it also works with the 700's gave it a try. A word of warning don't if you thought they were bright before just throw some silver plate at them and they are really bright. As of right now the wallet needs a little rehabilitation first as I just got a pair of AKG K872's so the wallet is in rehab for now.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #7,352 of 9,327
^^congrats on the AKG's. 

Feel free to give us a comparison with the HD700 :) 

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #7,353 of 9,327
^^congrats on the AKG's. 

Feel free to give us a comparison with the HD700 :) 
It is going to take a bit as I'm still trying to determine what amp it likes better. Right now I think it likes the Liquid Carbon a bit more than my Kenzie but I need to put THe stock tubes back in to tell for sure. Going to be taking them to CanJam SoCal in April in search of a amp maybe . What I can say right now the mids and bass are fairly close as can be between a open and closed can. The soundstage is also very close but the 700 has it on that one. Such a different presentation as the 872 is more balanced than the 700's hard to compare between the two.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #7,354 of 9,327
I like to make my own cables so it is hard for me to drop that kind of coin on a cable but after hearing this talk I might give one a try . I know that a cable can change the sound a bit as I made a balanced silver plate hybrid cable for my HE 400S and since it also works with the 700's gave it a try. A word of warning don't if you thought they were bright before just throw some silver plate at them and they are really bright. As of right now the wallet needs a little rehabilitation first as I just got a pair of AKG K872's so the wallet is in rehab for now.

IIRC, you heard the DanaCable Lazuli Reference on my Abyss and Liquid Crimson at the last Chicago meet, right? Though it's not as if I had the stock cable ready to go for an A/B comparison.

I'd love to learn to make my own cables, but I'm all thumbs, man!

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #7,355 of 9,327
IIRC, you heard the DanaCable Lazuli Reference on my Abyss and Liquid Crimson at the last Chicago meet, right? Though it's not as if I had the stock cable ready to go for an A/B comparison.

I'd love to learn to make my own cables, but I'm all thumbs, man!
Yes they were great. The Abyss takes a bit of getting use to to say the least. Hope to make it up there again great people and fine gear. Maybe next time get to a/b the cables.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #7,356 of 9,327
Just want to say HD700 is still one of my fav headphone to date alongside with LCD X and it's baby brother HD650. The choice of DAC and cable for this headphone is really critical if you want to get the most out of it. I make a killer cables for these headphones. In some cases HD700 could out performed LCD X in term of sound stage and dynamics using the same cable.

cheers

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #7,357 of 9,327
  Just want to say HD700 is still one of my fav headphone to date alongside with LCD X and it's baby brother HD650. The choice of DAC and cable for this headphone is really critical if you want to get the most out of it. I make a killer cables for these headphones. In some cases HD700 could out performed LCD X in term of sound stage and dynamics using the same cable.

cheers

You think the Modi 2 Multibit is good for the HD 700?

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #7,358 of 9,327
Jan 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #7,360 of 9,327
Several years ago, I would never think to spend around £1000 on an audio setup. Now look what you guys made me do, haha :)
No body is making you do anything but "These are not the droids your looking for and you must buy the Yggy".

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #7,362 of 9,327

You think the Modi 2 Multibit is good for the HD 700?

If you can swing the Bifrost Multibit that would be better than the Modi.  (I have the standard Bifrost)

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #7,363 of 9,327
Jan 13, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #7,364 of 9,327
Jan 14, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #7,365 of 9,327
When it comes to DAC, audition is a must ! This is where things go long way on your journey. Sensitive headphone like HD800 or 700 is excellent to detect if there's any harshness and discrepancies on all spectrum, turn it out loud as much as you can handle and listen for peakiness, distortions and how clean everything is especially the low end region. You shouldn't cringe, shouldn't get fatigue or headache you should at this point shake your head and jump off your feet haha. If something doesn't feel right then it's not right. If you're happy then everything else is gravy 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back