Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #7,261 of 9,326
The only thing that worries me about the new 's' model is how the soundstage may be affected by the dampening? I love the air and space on both the HD700 and HD800. But like most, I would also welcome a smoother top end sometimes. Suppose that's the compromise. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #7,262 of 9,326
  The only thing that worries me about the new 's' model is how the soundstage may be affected by the dampening? I love the air and space on both the HD700 and HD800. But like most, I would also welcome a smoother top end sometimes. Suppose that's the compromise. 

It's been a long time since I heard the regular HD800 so I can't comment on that. HD800 S uses something called Helmholtz Resonator to prevent treble peaks so it's not like they put some felt or other material inside the cups. HD800 S definitely has lots more air and space than HD700. No contest.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #7,263 of 9,326

It's been a long time since I heard the regular HD800 so I can't comment on that. HD800 S uses something called Helmholtz Resonator to prevent treble peaks so it's not like they put some felt or other material inside the cups. HD800 S definitely has lots more air and space than HD700. No contest.

Looks like the S type is going to be my next purchase then :) Be a few months yet though. Thanks for help. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #7,264 of 9,326
I just received my HD700 a few days ago and I really like them so far! Extremely comfortable, sound great, and they even look pretty awesome.

I'm still new to headphones and this is the only open back pair I've tried. I'm impressed, especially when listening to orchestral music. I'll be interested to see how they do once I get an amp since right now I'm just plugging them straight into my MacBook Pro.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #7,265 of 9,326
I just received my HD700 a few days ago and I really like them so far! Extremely comfortable, sound great, and they even look pretty awesome.

I'm still new to headphones and this is the only open back pair I've tried. I'm impressed, especially when listening to orchestral music. I'll be interested to see how they do once I get an amp since right now I'm just plugging them straight into my MacBook Pro.

Congrats!

Yes they are indeed great with orchestral music. They will no doubt sound even better with an amp. Tubes seems to be the way to go with these hp's. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #7,266 of 9,326
  Looks like the S type is going to be my next purchase then :) Be a few months yet though. Thanks for help. 

I wish I could be of more help but nothing beats auditioning yourself. 
smile.gif
 Audio Sanctuary in London probably has a demo pair. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #7,267 of 9,326
Has anyone had experience pairing the HD700 with a nobsound ns-08e amp?

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #7,268 of 9,326
Just reicived my HD700 and been listening to them all them.
Previously ive used the X2 but i've been on the lookout for another pair since i know there is better stuff out there. Bitten by the hifi-bug i suppose.

With the HD700 i can say im happy and that ive found a balance. Next step up (hd800(s)) is a bit to pricey for me and with that i would also need a decent amp. 
I was worried since ive read alot of negatives about the 700s, but i enjoy everything. Comfort, sound, bass, looks (!) is excellent. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #7,269 of 9,326
  Got to try the HD-700 on some nice amps yesterday:

Liquid Carbon, Micro ZOTL, Feliks Elise, all end game amps for the HD-700 IMO.

Very nice... glad to read you consider the Liquid Carbon as end-game.

I came very close to getting one for myself for Christmas, but decided on a new turntable, instead 
eek.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #7,270 of 9,326
Previously ive used the X2 but i've been on the lookout for another pair since i know there is better stuff out there. Bitten by the hifi-bug i suppose.

With the HD700 i can say im happy and that ive found a balance. Next step up (hd800(s)) is a bit to pricey for me and with that i would also need a decent amp. 
I was worried since ive read alot of negatives about the 700s, but i enjoy everything. Comfort, sound, bass, looks (!) is excellent. 

Like someone posted earlier, you actually heard one before commenting on the sound based on what others say.  The amp used goes a long way in the enjoyment of the HD-700 just like with the HD-800 where many owners search for an amp with good synergy.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #7,271 of 9,326

I believe there was so much negative said about them when they cost $999 USD. Well under half they are not so bad.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #7,272 of 9,326
I believe there was so much negative said about them when they cost $999 USD. Well under half they are not so bad.

They really are great, I can understand qualms for $999 but since they're not too popular I was able to get an open-box for $320. Very nice, beats my he-400i in a lot of ways, though not as forgiving. I don't mind, to me, they have great detail and dynamics and sounstage, and sound especially good on my Lyr2 and Geek Pulse. That is to say, my budget amp/dacs do seem a bit lacking. Vali and modi don't feel like a good pair or a good standalone amp or dac for these. Maybe they're just really picky

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #7,273 of 9,326

I have totally tamed these beasts. Phase reversal mod, Akiko stick mod. Custom cable. My rig is pretty tweaked so I do have to disclose that. These are way better than the HD650's. To me they are way too polite. Have a set modded just the same.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #7,275 of 9,326
Um a destroyed Venom audio phased reversed and 4 pin XLR'd and a cardas custom pigtail to 1/4 inch with external ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back