Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #6,376 of 9,300
  While the Eidolic connectors will fit I've found that the correct HD-700 connectors work better, there are 2 types from Luna shops, pretty good connectors and there was one on flea bay that was good but I don't see the merchant listing anymore.
For Luna shops do a search for "HD700"

Are you thinking of ELA Audio on flea bay?

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #6,378 of 9,300
I have no problems with Eidolics. I broke a connector off of my HE-400S cable and replaced it with them and now I have a HD-700 cable to listen from my QP1R with. Also made a balanced cable to listen from the Liquid Carbon using them with no issues.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #6,379 of 9,300
I have no problems with Eidolics. I broke a connector off of my HE-400S cable and replaced it with them and now I have a HD-700 cable to listen from my QP1R with. Also made a balanced cable to listen from the Liquid Carbon using them with no issues.

For those like you who have the new 2.5mm connector in their Hifiman headphones the Eidolic makes more sense, all of my Hifiman headphones have the older SMC connectors, which I like better than the 2.5mm, its more secure and for modding other headphones (Grado, TH-600, TH-900, K553) the female SMC jack is much smaller and fits where the 2.5mm female jack will not fit without major cutting.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #6,380 of 9,300
I guess you do a lot of moving about when listening I have no problem at all with the 2.5. The Smc is just a pain in the arse for me but I can see for modding in a tight spot it would be advantageous.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #6,381 of 9,300
I guess you do a lot of moving about when listening I have no problem at all with the 2.5. The Smc is just a pain in the arse for me but I can see for modding in a tight spot it would be advantageous.

My preference for the SMC came from using a 3.5mm jack in the old M50 and MDR-7506, the jacks just didn't last very long in them, had to change them out within a year.  So far I haven't had any SMC jack fail, same with the mini-XLR.

To attach and remove the SMC is quite easy once I found a way to do it, spin the wire clockwise, hold the nut while twisting the wire counter clockwise, then twisting clockwise again and at that point the nut should be snug with no tension in the wire causing them to come loose.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #6,382 of 9,300
I already have the larger connector. But I think the barrel hits the side of the HD700 frame. I can't seem to make a solid connection. The left channel falls out from time to time. I will try the smaller connector. Thanks.

Yes, I have the exact same problem with one of the connector can''t remember which side. I just give it a good push in there and most of the time it's good. 
The Eidolic small barrel works pretty much like the original connector but the downside is they are a little too short and if you want to plug or unplug there's not enough length for your finger.  So you will want to create an extra support with a longer heat shrink tubing.

The one at luna looks great but the shipping is like what ..45 days ??

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #6,383 of 9,300
Yeah I do the same with the Smc connectors still a pain for me I like the 2.5mm connectors just so easy to deal with. Haven't had these long enough to know the durability of the connectors maybe a year but that could change. Still have a set of Smc's that I was going to make set of balanced cables for my 400's still might do it as they are fun to listen to time to time.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #6,384 of 9,300

Yes, I have the exact same problem with one of the connector can''t remember which side. I just give it a good push in there and most of the time it's good. 
The Eidolic small barrel works pretty much like the original connector but the downside is they are a little too short and if you want to plug or unplug there's not enough length for your finger.  So you will want to create an extra support with a longer heat shrink tubing.

The one at luna looks great but the shipping is like what ..45 days ??

They get to me in Hawaii about 14 days, not that long and faster than MassDrop from NY for some strange reason.  My K7XX to just over a month
eek.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #6,386 of 9,300
  Just ordered a set off Amazon.  Should be here tomorrow.  REALLY looking forward to giving these a go.  Most expensive cans I've ever owned.  Hope I'm blown away.  :)  

Congrats on getting a HD-700, hope you enjoy them as much as I've enjoyed mine.  Curious as to what DAC and amp you will be using to drive them?  If you read through this thread there are many different amps that have been used, some with great results and others not so great.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #6,387 of 9,300

Congrats on getting a HD-700, hope you enjoy them as much as I've enjoyed mine.  Curious as to what DAC and amp you will be using to drive them?  If you read through this thread there are many different amps that have been used, some with great results and others not so great.

Thanks David.  To tell you the truth I haven't given it much thought.  I do own a FiiO Mont Blanc E12 that I'd use on occasion to kick up my X2's and DT 770's.  I'd imagine I may need a little something more for the 700's?.  I'm hoping the 700's blow my mind, then most likely I'll part ways with my X2's then look further into a better combo to better drive the 700's. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #6,388 of 9,300

Thanks David.  To tell you the truth I haven't given it much thought.  I do own a FiiO Mont Blanc E12 that I'd use on occasion to kick up my X2's and DT 770's.  I'd imagine I may need a little something more for the 700's?.  I'm hoping the 700's blow my mind, then most likely I'll part ways with my X2's then look further into a better combo to better drive the 700's. 

E12 should be enough at least in terms of power/volume for the HD700. (I've had good results with the headphone being driven by less powerful amps.) However, since I don't own the E12 I can't exactly whether the quality is the best you can get.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #6,389 of 9,300

E12 should be enough at least in terms of power/volume for the HD700. (I've had good results with the headphone being driven by less powerful amps.) However, since I don't own the E12 I can't exactly whether the quality is the best you can get.

That sounds promising; thanks Chow. I prefer not to spend an addition couple hundred right off the bat to get the most out of the 700's at this point.  Hopefully the E12 will satisfy me at least in the short term. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #6,390 of 9,300

I don't know how they will sound out of the E12 but my GF uses her HD-700 with a Fiio X3 when she walks our dog and the sound from this combination is quite good.  The HD-700 is much easier to drive than the HD-6XX and HD-800/S so using it with a DAP is not bad.  I've been using 3 different amps to drive the HD-700, Lyr2, Project Ember and BH Crack, they all drive the HD-700 well but there are slight differences in the sound, more a matter of preference than good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back