Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #6,106 of 9,329

Thanks again.  I'm embarrassed to admit I don't have the computer skills to avail myself of the equalizer. 

Most audio programs have a built in eq. Not real hard to do.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #6,107 of 9,329

Thanks again.  I'm embarrassed to admit I don't have the computer skills to avail myself of the equalizer. 

Well the only way to learn is the snoop around. And the level of importance will dictate the level of commitment.  And you can always find YouTube videos out there showing you how to use/find almost anything on your PC or programs.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #6,108 of 9,329
Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good amp to run through an astro mixamp mostly for console gaming on my xbone for the hd700? I'd like to keep the price around $200. I read good things here about the schiit vali 2, which would be my first tube amp. Any idea how it would work through the mixamp? I am certainly open to any and all reccomendations. Thanks for your time.

I thought about posting this on a gaming thread like MLE's gaming guide, but I'm specifically looking for hd700 owner opinions since I think they will be my next headphone purchase. The giant soundstage and good mids entice me. I miss my 598s and hoping this will be a big step towards what I'm looking for.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #6,109 of 9,329
@rockytopwiz, I don't game much anymore but I used to use a Xonar STX sound card with the HD-700 which was wicked.

I've never used a astro mixamp but after looking at Amazon and the Astro site they don't give any info on how much power output it has, only a useless "100dB SPL at 125Hz (80% at 0dBFS)" which doesn't help much.

After re-reading your post you are taking the output of the Astro mixamp and going to another external amp (Vali 2) then to headphones.  I don't think you want to double amp stuff but since I've never tired this it may work for you.

Good Luck

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #6,110 of 9,329
@rockytopwiz
, I don't game much anymore but I used to use a Xonar STX sound card with the HD-700 which was wicked.

I've never used a astro mixamp but after looking at Amazon and the Astro site they don't give any info on how much power output it has, only a useless "100dB SPL at 125Hz (80% at 0dBFS)" which doesn't help much.

After re-reading your post you are taking the output of the Astro mixamp and going to another external amp (Vali 2) then to headphones.  I don't think you want to double amp stuff but since I've never tired this it may work for you.

Good Luck

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have read it is not good to double amp but several reviews here of people saying it's not too bad with the mixamp. I am guessing this may be due to such a small amp in the mixamp, but that's purely speculation. Plus I am not sure how much of a choice I have for what I am looking for, console gaming.

A little backstory, about a year ago I bought a soundblaster x7 (external dac/amp/surround sound sim) but sold it because at the time I only had low impedance 'phones and the amp in there didn't give the full-bodied sound I was looking for. Not sure how much of this was due to my low impedance phones, or the device itself but I wasnt very impressed. Compared to the Astro mixamp and my Yamaha receiver, the sound seemed comparable to me, thus not justifying the price tag. I've debated getting the x7 again because, spec wise, it would seem to power the hd700. I just don't know if I want to take that same dive, only to be disappointed again (definition of insanity?) So I'm hoping an amp, or tube amp can give me that full dobied sound I'm looking for, while the mixamp still serves as dac/surround sim.

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #6,111 of 9,329
Double amping is less and less of a real issue. Basically, one problem with it is you have 2 amps coloring the sound. There is also the possibility of adding a detrimental amount of noise to the output. I know for me, I'm a huge fan of micro setups, and I've yet to hear about a micro dap that has line out (except using a LOD with ipod nano), so if I want to use my RSA Shadow I typically have to double amp. I have zero complaints going this route.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #6,112 of 9,329
Double amping is less and less of a real issue. Basically, one problem with it is you have 2 amps coloring the sound. There is also the possibility of adding a detrimental amount of noise to the output. I know for me, I'm a huge fan of micro setups, and I've yet to hear about a micro dap that has line out (except using a LOD with ipod nano), so if I want to use my RSA Shadow I typically have to double amp. I have zero complaints going this route.

What is a "micro setup" and "micro dap" ?  Is it just something small?

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #6,114 of 9,329
  never heard a hd700, hd 800 is nice though.

You should try the HD-700, it might surprise you
eek.gif
 or like many others the sound signature is just not to your liking
rolleyes.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #6,117 of 9,329
Several days later...

I have read the entire 408 pages thread - Hooray!
(ok, I have jumped over some pages, but only few. You should know - there is great redundancy here).

I have prepared some list of keywords (I came up with the idea to start taking notes from 250 page onward) so what a reader can find info about here:

- Headphones comparison: HD700 vs 6xx, HD700 vs 5xx, HD700 vs rest of the world and ... the never ending HD700 vs HD800!
- Many, many: "These headphones are comfy!"
- A lot of: "That cable is too long!" and "It's kinky one (the cable)"
- OMG! The treble! OMG!
- "What about the bass?"
- The undying mantra: "Everybody hears differently"
- Trolls, quarrels, clash of opinions...
- $pecial cable tales
- For what applications and genres these are good/bad for
- Very, very popular: amp/dac, ss/tubes
- For what price and where you can find them cheapest
- Formulas for EQs -2db here, +X db there, and so on...
- What to do if you have damaged phones
- Workshop: Mod your cans
- Frequency response / loudness graphs/war
- What throne I use to put my headphones on? (i.e. stands)
- Who are you or "Are you an engineer"? (I'm an engineer, btw)
- Chatting about women
- Even a sections dedicates to painting

Of course, a myriad of people going, leaving, returning back and etc...

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #6,118 of 9,329
  Several days later...etc

Wow, going over > 6K posts is quite a reading job and I certainly admire your perseverance...
So, this was an interesting summary imo => still curious about your personal HD700 conclusion though
wink.gif

Edit: Oh wait...I just realized that you are the ''jaw dropping'' guy => your conclusion was clear!
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #6,119 of 9,329

Actually all the FiiO DAPs have LO. The X5 first gen, and all the newer ones (I think) also have SPDIF out too. Matter of fact there are a LOT of micro setups nowadays that have LO. Some even have balanced connections. 

Wow, going over > 6K posts is quite a reading job and I certainly admire your perseverance...
So, this was an interesting summary imo => still curious about your personal HD700 conclusion though
wink.gif

Edit: Oh wait...I just realized that you are the ''jaw dropping'' guy => your conclusion was clear!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, when I first bought mine, I read them all too (albeit shorter then), but I commend for adding some (searchable) cliff notes. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #6,120 of 9,329
  Several days later...

I have read the entire 408 pages thread - Hooray!
(ok, I have jumped over some pages, but only few. You should know - there is great redundancy here).

I have prepared some list of keywords (I came up with the idea to start taking notes from 250 page onward) so what a reader can find info about here:

- Headphones comparison: HD700 vs 6xx, HD700 vs 5xx, HD700 vs rest of the world and ... the never ending HD700 vs HD800!
- Many, many: "These headphones are comfy!"
- A lot of: "That cable is too long!" and "It's kinky one (the cable)"
- OMG! The treble! OMG!
- "What about the bass?"
- The undying mantra: "Everybody hears differently"
- Trolls, quarrels, clash of opinions...
- $pecial cable tales
- For what applications and genres these are good/bad for
- Very, very popular: amp/dac, ss/tubes
- For what price and where you can find them cheapest
- Formulas for EQs -2db here, +X db there, and so on...
- What to do if you have damaged phones
- Workshop: Mod your cans
- Frequency response / loudness graphs/war
- What throne I use to put my headphones on? (i.e. stands)
- Who are you or "Are you an engineer"? (I'm an engineer, btw)
- Chatting about women
- Even a sections dedicates to painting

Of course, a myriad of people going, leaving, returning back and etc...

Yaaaaayyyyy... You summarized a thread! Good on you.

Nothing to see here, keep moving folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back