Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #5,671 of 9,298
@disastermouse Ouch...  I mean, I'm kind of thinking of picking up a dac/amp, but that just might be daydreaming.  At least if I can find a Magnolia that has it in the area, I can give it a try and order one online if I decide to go that route.  Thanks for the heads up on the combo only however.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #5,672 of 9,298
  @disastermouse Ouch...  I mean, I'm kind of thinking of picking up a dac/amp, but that just might be daydreaming.  At least if I can find a Magnolia that has it in the area, I can give it a try and order one online if I decide to go that route.  Thanks for the heads up on the combo only however.

What's funny is that I'm pretty sure the EL-8 is the one planar that's designed to be okay from your phone without a separate DAC or amp.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #5,673 of 9,298
Speaker Cables:

Ok, looking at this from a layman's point of view.  You go to a concert or private session to listen to some great music, and now you want to recreate that experience in your own private setting.

The best thing to do is to get the actual performers into your house - can't do that..
Ok, how about recording them live to maybe two-track - sheesh I'm going to lose something but I'll try.
Ok, it is on an analog tape with noise, but outdoing digital samples.
Well, let's use a tube amp and connect a wire to a Sennheiser headphone like the HD 700.
At this point the sound is already messed up from the original.
What kind of cable should we use.  Maybe I should listen to the cable.  That is if you want to listen
to the best problem that you will settle for.  How about using a computer to measure
the cable to determine it's performance - it's conductive properties for audible frequencies.  The cable
that does the best would be the cable that passes the most, whether you can hear it or not.
So, I think you should always switch up to a better physical cable if you don't have a problem
with paying the money for perfection you can't hear.

When you listen to live music, you not only hear it, you feel bass, mids, and maybe hi's, and it is applied
across your entire body, not just your ears.  You feel what you hear. 

Look at HD TV.  People were so addicted to bad looking movies and TV, that they call the improved
TV as being video like.  Don't know why I threw this out there.

So, if a silver cable sounds harsh, it must mean that it is a better cable, and it just exposed the inadequate headphones, or equipment in the chain somewhere.  Therefore, the quest is for a cable that hides problems the best...

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #5,674 of 9,298
What I use to hold me over from my wish list is CD to itune lossless, an iPod Nano (EQ off), and a FiiO mini amp. E12. (gain 16, bass off)  not a DAC, but sounds pretty great with the HD700, and has some SERIOUS punch.  I noticed that most music was pretty nice, but certain horn blowing CD's that I have seemed to hit the almost falling overboard threshold.  Truthfully speaking, I never attended the real recording, so I don't know if maybe it should be harsh.  Sometimes we are trying to correct a bad recording.  I'm in search of a DAC, oh so many to choose from!!!  I want a house based and portable.  Portable wise I was looking at the Sony PHA-3 I think, but it is Expensive for a portable.  Home I want the OPPO HA-1.
The HD700 has plenty of bass.  I wish there was a such thing as open headphones that can't be heard that loudly externally :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #5,675 of 9,298
   I wish there was a such thing as open headphones that can't be heard that loudly externally :)

It's called the Ether-C.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #5,677 of 9,298
I FINALLY got another HD700. I sold my last one to try other things, but now that I have my higher end headphone (LCD-X) the HD700 won't be traded off to get an upgrade. I'm looking forward to having my large soundstage WITH BASS back! Oh and I am already planning a custom color scheme for the HD700

smile_phones.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #5,678 of 9,298
What's the best way to clean the ear pads of the HD700's? I hadn't used mine in awhile and dust settles pretty easily here. The pads accumulated a bunch of dust. Is there a way to easily take them off or something else someone can suggest?

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #5,680 of 9,298
Anyone have any suggestions for a $300 USD or so Dac/Amp combo for the HD700?  I know it won't be anywhere close to stellar, but trying to weigh my options.  All I'd ask is it can do 24/96, don't need DSD or 192+.  I'll most likely go higher, but would love suggestions!

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #5,682 of 9,298
  Anyone have any suggestions for a $300 USD or so Dac/Amp combo for the HD700?  I know it won't be anywhere close to stellar, but trying to weigh my options.  All I'd ask is it can do 24/96, don't need DSD or 192+.  I'll most likely go higher, but would love suggestions!

ifi Audio nano iDSD and then you can even go mobile.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,683 of 9,298
Won a auction on eBay for a Valhalla 2 a couple of weeks ago to pair with the 700's. Got it last week and it had a broken power switch (I was bummed ). I think it happened in shipping. He offered me refund or send it to Schiit to have it fixed. He sent me a shipping label and it is at Schiit to be fixed. Pretty stand up guy. He even is going to throw in a pair of Pyst cables for my trouble. Now I just got to wait another week. But I should have a amp fixed and checked out by Schiit. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #5,684 of 9,298

I'm personally using Meridian Explorer² DAC and Schiit Vali amp for my HD700. The Explorer² also has built-in amp, but the Vali is better at driving HD700. The cheapest combo would be Modi 2 / Vali 2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back