Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #5,686 of 9,320
I have the Modi/Vali combo with the Wyrd. Great combo. A step use would be the Massdrop Grace m9xx which I also have. Works well with the HD 700. Has more detail and more botom end grunt.

The new Vali 2 can tube roll. Interesting.

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #5,687 of 9,320
I appreciate all the suggestions so far.  If I want to save a little money, a Schiit stack sounds like a great option.  I'm also a little curious about the SMSL M6 which someone has reported is roughly equivalent to a modi/magni 2 stack, and costs $169.  OR...  and this is a big or, I could just get a Chord Mojo and call it a day.  I'd also be able to use my Fiio X5 as a transport with it.  The only issue with it is I worry I don't have good enough ears to justify spending $600 on a dac/amp...  which means finding a place for an audition might make sense.

For now though, I'm using a Fiio X5 as DAC going to a Cayin C5, and I love the combo with my HD700, just absolutely love it.  So, I suppose I really do have some time to make a decision, although I really do wish Chord Mojo sold for $600 on Amazon, where I have some credit...  it'd make the decision a bit easier.

Oh yeah, also, I'll have to make sure whatever I do end up getting will be fine with a Senn IE800 too.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #5,688 of 9,320
  I appreciate all the suggestions so far.  If I want to save a little money, a Schiit stack sounds like a great option.  I'm also a little curious about the SMSL M6 which someone has reported is roughly equivalent to a modi/magni 2 stack, and costs $169.  OR...  and this is a big or, I could just get a Chord Mojo and call it a day.  I'd also be able to use my Fiio X5 as a transport with it.  The only issue with it is I worry I don't have good enough ears to justify spending $600 on a dac/amp...  which means finding a place for an audition might make sense.

For now though, I'm using a Fiio X5 as DAC going to a Cayin C5, and I love the combo with my HD700, just absolutely love it.  So, I suppose I really do have some time to make a decision, although I really do wish Chord Mojo sold for $600 on Amazon, where I have some credit...  it'd make the decision a bit easier.

Oh yeah, also, I'll have to make sure whatever I do end up getting will be fine with a Senn IE800 too.

Go for the Mojo if you can. I am using it, brilliant little device and it paired well with HD700. I even tried line out to my HiFi separate system which delivered detailed and great sound stage. Plus it gave my old laptop another life. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #5,690 of 9,320
  Is this headphone good for rock and electronic music?

Listening to lot of genres, including the two you mentioned.
I would say: YES
L3000.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5,692 of 9,320
  I was debating between getting the K712 or these. With no concerns about price, is the HD700 truly the overall better headphone?

I just switched from an HD700 to a K712.

The HD700 sounds amazing in a lot of ways but if you are sensitive to harsh treble do not buy it.  I mean it.  Like seriously don't buy it.  

I ignored a lot of advice to the contrary and regretted it.  The 712 is not as super detailed and not quite as wide which is a shame because for me gaming is a big priority and both those two traits are very important to me but I could just not listen to the HD700 for long listening sessions.

Also I really like the 712 anyway.  Retains a lot of traits I like about the HD700 just to a slightly lesser level and it's not quite as harsh.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #5,693 of 9,320
i'm using geek pulse x balanced out with pure silver i/c to little dot mk 8 and got myself some custom made pure silver balanced cables for my HD700. wouldnt believe the performance it brings. my friend who used to listen to HD700 with stock cable single ended couldnt believe my HD700 could perform so well. basically everything just sounds upgraded. sound was much more musical. sub-bass extended much deeprr. however the occasional treble spike still occurs on some tracks and it cant really bring out the 'ting' of a triangle in some of my music as well..
for the record i listen to most genres of music from classical to rock

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #5,694 of 9,320

The HD700 sounds amazing in a lot of ways but if you are sensitive to harsh treble do not buy it.  I mean it.  Like seriously don't buy it.  

I ignored a lot of advice to the contrary and regretted it.  The 712 is not as super detailed and not quite as wide which is a shame because for me gaming is a big priority and both those two traits are very important to me but I could just not listen to the HD700 for long listening sessions.

Also I really like the 712 anyway.  Retains a lot of traits I like about the HD700 just to a slightly lesser level and it's not quite as harsh.

I'll be trying out the HD700 soon and share my feelings. I've listened to the AD700 for years without fatigue which is a rather bright headphone, but not very bright like the DT990 for example. I think as long as it's not as bright as the DT990 I should be fine, but we'll see.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #5,695 of 9,320

I'll be trying out the HD700 soon and share my feelings. I've listened to the AD700 for years without fatigue which is a rather bright headphone, but not very bright like the DT990 for example. I think as long as it's not as bright as the DT990 I should be fine, but we'll see.

Unfortunately for you I consider the HD700 a direct upgrade to the DT990. Same signature overall, just more clarity.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #5,697 of 9,320

Unfortunately for you I consider the HD700 a direct upgrade to the DT990. Same signature overall, just more clarity.

Doesn't it have less bass than the DT990?

I'd say it's a little more refined, but it's still very good and elevated with a solid state amp.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #5,698 of 9,320
  Is this headphone good for rock and electronic music?

I would say 'No' to rock and 'Yes' to some electronic music. The HD-700 really excels with classical and some jazz, IMO.

For Rock, consider the HD-650, if you mean classic rock.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #5,699 of 9,320
While I'm still very much tempted to just bite down and get the Chord Mojo, I was curious if anyone here has any experience with the xDuoo TA-01 with the HD700?  I'm still considering the other suggestions of course.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #5,700 of 9,320

I would say 'No' to rock and 'Yes' to some electronic music. The HD-700 really excels with classical and some jazz, IMO.

For Rock, consider the HD-650, if you mean classic rock.

I'm the opposite in my opinion. HD700 is great for rock and not good for electronic music or rap. I do agree it excels at classical and jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back