Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #5,656 of 9,319
I am using the Surfcable 4 pin XLR balanced cable and play HD700 with Stoner Acoustic EGD and EGA in full balanced mode (With Bughead) software, such an audio Nirvana! and no teble peak as I observed, just an elegant and smooth sound

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #5,657 of 9,319
  Between the Sennheiser HD700 and Shure SHR-1840, which has the edge in soundstage and imaging?

I've never heard the 1840's but the HD700 is wiiiiiide.  Like my 598's which have a decent soundstage themselves sounded almost closed goinog back and forth.

Instrument placement is top notch as well.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #5,658 of 9,319
  Between the Sennheiser HD700 and Shure SHR-1840, which has the edge in soundstage and imaging?

The HD-700 is slightly wider and higher, its like you are sitting 1st row center and are below the level of the orchestra, for some music its too wide, the SRH-1840 images better IMO, like you are sitting 10th row level or slightly above and can take in more of the orchestra.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #5,660 of 9,319
I know this is like comparing a Lexus to a Toyota, but for gaming purposes has anyone done a direct comparison of the AT-AD700x vs the HD700. I'm auditioning both now for gaming, and I'm contemplating the trade-offs but I'd love to hear if anyone's compared the sound stage for positional audio. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #5,661 of 9,319
I'm interested in getting the HD700s; I'll be pairing them with a Fiio X1 > Fiio E12A. In the past, I've liked Grados for the excitement, yet Sennheisers for smoothness and soundstage. I've heard the HD700 may be the sweet spot between the two. I'm looking for something that is a little aggressive and forwards with good midrange, bass that isn't light, and treble that isn't too bright. I'm using SR80is right now and enjoying them, though a little bit more bass might be nice. Am I correct in saying that the HD700 is similar to a Grado in some ways? Would the HD700 fit what I've described, or would I be better going with an RS2e, SR225e, or some other headphone? My budget is $500; thanks for any help.

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #5,662 of 9,319
  I'm interested in getting the HD700s; I'll be pairing them with a Fiio X1 > Fiio E12A. In the past, I've liked Grados for the excitement, yet Sennheisers for smoothness and soundstage. I've heard the HD700 may be the sweet spot between the two. I'm looking for something that is a little aggressive and forwards with good midrange, bass that isn't light, and treble that isn't too bright. I'm using SR80is right now and enjoying them, though a little bit more bass might be nice. Am I correct in saying that the HD700 is similar to a Grado in some ways? Would the HD700 fit what I've described, or would I be better going with an RS2e, SR225e, or some other headphone? My budget is $500; thanks for any help.

I have a HD-700, SSR-225e, RS2e and a few other headphones, my suggestion:

If you can DIY, take the drivers from your SR-80 and install them in wood cups like the RS2e.  Install a ¼” ring of dynamat just behind the driver, this should give you nice solid bass and keep the mids/highs of the Grado that you like.  I did this with my SR-60 and to me the bass is much better than the RS2e but the highs are not quite as smooth and extended.  Also built 3 SennGrados (Grado style wood cup with Sennheiser PX-100ii driver), the different types of wood and style of the cup influences the sound a little and the PX-100ii driver is not the most consistent so YMMV.  See SennGrado thread for more info.  I’m thinking of taking my SR-225e drivers and install them in some wood cups but haven’t found cups that I like yet.

If you don’t want to DIY, the HD-700 will give you better bass than the RS2e but the treble is different from the Grado, it can be harsh with some genres of music, I only use them at home but my GF uses the HD-700 when she walks the dog, she uses a Fiio X3 which is a little warmer than the X1.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #5,663 of 9,319

I have the HD700 and had the RS2 (original version) for some months, just sold it 2 weeks ago. Imo the RS2 had a wonderful clean and natural sound, very good details & instrument separation, but for my musical taste (which can be found under my profile) I found it also realy too bass light => I would always pick the HD700 over it myself.
Another Grado which I still have and enjoy very much is the PS500
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #5,664 of 9,319

If you don’t want to DIY, the HD-700 will give you better bass than the RS2e but the treble is different from the Grado, it can be harsh with some genres of music, I only use them at home but my GF uses the HD-700 when she walks the dog, she uses a Fiio X3 which is a little warmer than the X1.

I don't believe I'm quite ready to DIY headphones just yet, but thank you for your suggestion. I'll be going to an audio store sometime soon and I know they carry Grado, so I'll check out the RS2e's bass and see if I need something like the HD700 instead.

Quote:
I have the HD700 and had the RS2 (original version) for some months, just sold it 2 weeks ago. Imo the RS2 had a wonderful clean and natural sound, very good details & instrument separation, but for my musical taste (which can be found under my profile) I found it also realy too bass light => I would always pick the HD700 over it myself.
Another Grado which I still have and enjoy very much is the PS500
smily_headphones1.gif

I would likely use the bass boost on my E12A with the RS2E if it is a bit bass light; however, I believe the E series was supposed to add a little warmth to the Grado line (at least that's what I've heard with other headphones). As I mentioned above, I'll be headed to a music store that carries Grado gear and generally has them out for testing, so I'll hopefully get to try a few pairs with my own gear. If I dislike what I hear, I'll look more into the HD700 and try to test it out at some point. Thanks for everyone's help!

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,665 of 9,319

I would likely use the bass boost on my E12A with the RS2E if it is a bit bass light; however, I believe the E series was supposed to add a little warmth to the Grado line (at least that's what I've heard with other headphones). As I mentioned above, I'll be headed to a music store that carries Grado gear and generally has them out for testing, so I'll hopefully get to try a few pairs with my own gear. If I dislike what I hear, I'll look more into the HD700 and try to test it out at some point. Thanks for everyone's help!

I just noticed your avatar. Such a great pop album!

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #5,666 of 9,319
What's the likelihood Sennheiser will release an HD700S? It'd make sense with how cheap the HD700 has been getting lately. I'd hate to buy these and then see that get released. Although it could be a lot more expensive, making these still worth the price.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #5,668 of 9,319
I just auditioned these at a Magnolia in a Best Buy. It was hooked up to a McIntosh system. I was sort of stunned at how distant I felt from the music. Technically, all the details were there and the sound stage was very large, but I couldn't feel engaged.

They had an EL-8 too. Pretty good sound stage for a planar. Also, it has some bass slam that my HE-500 lack.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #5,670 of 9,319
Huh, didn't know Magnolia would carry an EL-8...  I might want to check if any around me do.

The downside is that the salesman told me that Audeze doesn't let them sell the EL-8 without the Audeze DAC/amp. That effectively doubles the price to $1400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back