Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,326 of 9,298
@Evshrug Thank you Sir !
In addition to the detail, soundstage and imaging you mentioned. It's extremely comfortable (much like the 700s). Another thing I noticed was that it doesn't leak as much as the 700s, I know it's not a big deal but might be for some if they are planning on using it in a work setup. Although it's unfair to compare them considering the 700s are only half the price :)

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #5,327 of 9,298
are flagships that much better over hd700?

I am thinking of making it highest level of hp i will get. will sidegrade hence forth, maybe beyer t90 or hifiman he400i.

i am rather happy with performance of my akg k550 against hd700. it gives me complete look of recording and i dont think much is being left out. less detail but not lacking, like say a $100 pair feels like.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #5,328 of 9,298

I am thinking of making it highest level of hp i will get. will sidegrade hence forth, maybe beyer t90 or hifiman he400i.

i am rather happy with performance of my akg k550 against hd700. it gives me complete look of recording and i dont think much is being left out. less detail but not lacking, like say a $100 pair feels like.

Well, it's always incremental upgrades and the law of diminishing returns. I found the HD800 to be quite a bit different to the HD700. I don't own both, but had the HD800 for some time borrowed from a friend and heard the HD700 on meets.

I do however, have the T90 and the HE400, HE560. The T90 needs the right amp to shine in my eyes. It's a bit picky, I love it to bits with the Botttlehead Crack & Speedball. 

Anyhow, since you have the HD700 and you want to add something to the "collection" then the T90 is to a certain degree in the similar sound signature range (extended accentuated treble), I would rather try the HE400S or the Oppo PM-3 to add some Planar magic to your listening experience.

Cheers,
K

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #5,329 of 9,298

Are flagships that much better than the HD 700? Thats a really hard question to answer. The only way to know for sure is to find out for yourself. The best way is to go to ONE good head-fi meet. Even after one, you should be able to answer that for yourself. My opinion is that it really depends on what kind of flagship you are talking about. The HD 700 is probably pretty close to the Beyerdynamic T1, but not even remotely close to the Stax SR 009. 

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #5,330 of 9,298
  Are flagships that much better than the HD 700? Thats a really hard question to answer. The only way to know for sure is to find out for yourself. The best way is to go to ONE good head-fi meet. Even after one, you should be able to answer that for yourself. My opinion is that it really depends on what kind of flagship you are talking about. The HD 700 is probably pretty close to the Beyerdynamic T1, but not even remotely close to the Stax SR 009. 

i did heard lcd 3 and lcd x on one of the meets. they were slightly more solid and defined sounding than hd700, especially lcd 3. 

but i doubt i value that little upgarde worth it. i will rather have more variety in my collection. 

the thing is I am getting the way artist intended me to hear it via HD700. Its offering complete presentation into music without adding too much colouration (it absolutely does colour the sound but not to an offensive degree) . I dont think going for a bit more defined sound is going to be of much benefit. 

I would rather mix and match it with amps and go for new music.

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #5,331 of 9,298

i did heard lcd 3 and lcd x on one of the meets. they were slightly more solid and defined sounding than hd700, especially lcd 3. 

but i doubt i value that little upgarde worth it. i will rather have more variety in my collection. 

the thing is I am getting the way artist intended me to hear it via HD700. Its offering complete presentation into music without adding too much colouration (it absolutely does colour the sound but not to an offensive degree) . I dont think going for a bit more defined sound is going to be of much benefit. 

For some people the improvement is worth it, for some it isn't, that's totally cool.

I also like variety and love to hear "new" headphones with  new signatures and rediscover my music every now and then.

Headphones in general get better and better for lower prices. The Philips X2, HD650, Oppo PM-3, NAD Viso HP50, etc. are pretty great offers for mid-fi prices. 

Cheers,
K

Oct 11, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #5,332 of 9,298

I have never actually cared for the Audeze line personally. I would much rather have an HD 700 than an LCD 2 rev 1, LCD 2 rev 2, or the LCD X. I personally think there are flagships that are worth the extra money over the HD 700, but if you are happy with it then more power to ya. Examples of these include Stax SR 009, HD 800, the Ether, TH 900, and although its not technically a flagship I did think the LCD-XC was really damn good out of a Schiit stack...its literally the only Audeze I liked.

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #5,334 of 9,298
Anyone here who could describe difference between HD 700 and HD 800 in term of soundstage? I loved HD 700 sound when I first heard it and it's available a lot of times for as cheap as $400 here, I might buy it one day.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5,335 of 9,298
Anyone using a lint roller to remove the dust on the earpads? I'm trying to pick it with hand but fear that I might accidentally tear something

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #5,336 of 9,298
  Anyone here who could describe difference between HD 700 and HD 800 in term of soundstage? I loved HD 700 sound when I first heard it and it's available a lot of times for as cheap as $400 here, I might buy it one day.

The HD 800's sound stage is significantly wider than the HD 700, but it doesnt seem like that when I'm actually wearing the HD 700. The sound stage on the HD 700 is still pretty good, regardless of how rediculous the HD 800 is. The biggest difference between the two is found in the detail. Theres no contest here, the HD 800 slam dunks on the HD 700 in that regard. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #5,337 of 9,298
HD800 is more for listening critically, while HD700 seems to focus more on enjoyment, IMO
I figured that out after doing demo on audio store on HD800s.
kinda sucks the MSRP is still $1499 though (though i do find 800s on $1000 range)

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #5,338 of 9,298

The soundstage on the HD800s is quite a bit different. It's not only wider, but done much better. The soundstage on the HD700s bring out a tinny and hallow sound, you won't really hear it unless you've heard LCD-2s or HD800s, but it's definitely there. Everything about the HD800s is better compared to the HD700s. If you were to compare T90s to T1s the T90s are X amount of the T1s, same thing here but it's not that subtle of a difference. If you like the HD700s, you'll love the HD800s. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,339 of 9,298

Sound stage on HD-800 is wider and more detailed than the HD-700 but it is also dependent on what amp that I am using.  For the HD-800 it sounds best on my BH Crack but the BH Crack does not create the widest sound stage that the HD-800 is capable of but the sound is about as good as it gets for me.  The HD-700 is best driven by my Ember which I think has a better sound stage presentation than the BH Crack so it evens out the sound stage some what.  I have noticed that what DAC/AMP is used for either the HD-800/700 will influence the experience that one has listening to them.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #5,340 of 9,298
I know this has probably been covered in the past, but I thought I'd ask again just to see what current opinions are.

I've had my 700s for a few weeks now, after some proper burn-in they sound amazing.  I think much of it is psychological, however at least the first few hours really opens them up.  I have no regrets at all.  Been driving them straight out of my MBP and iPhone for now, because I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to drive them with.

I've been looking heavily at the Oppo HA-2, as it seems many say it performs like a far more expensive amp/DAC.  It seems to have enough power for the 700s, but not 100% on that.  As far as I can tell, the DAC section is about as good as it gets at that price point.  I'm mostly worried about the amp...strong enough to drive the 700s with authority and to maintain driver control all the way down to 20 Hz?  I listen to a lot of electronic music, so I need something that's going to keep them fun and impactful without robbing them of detail. Basically, I need power and accuracy.  Will the HA--2 give me this?  Anyone have decent experience driving 700s with this unit?

Thanks in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back