Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #5,311 of 9,320

I'm taking a close look at the Ember. Would you recommend it over pretty much any solid state amp? (For use with the HD700, of course.)

Also, have you found a particular vacuum tube that you like best with the HD700?

At the under $500 range the Ember is hard to beat but if you can get the HA-501 it is a slightly cleaner sounding amp IMO.   I only got to try the HA-501 for a few days last month and it was used with a few high end DACs so they may have had a impact on the sound also but being all SS if would come out cheaper in the long run.  I still like the idea of being able to have fun with different tubes so I'll stay with the Ember for now.
As for tubes, most on the tube rolling thread for the Ember like 6SN7 types but I still like my Telefunken 12AU7, and new issue Mullard, Gold Lion and Tung Sol, much cheaper and easy to find.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #5,312 of 9,320
For all who have the Ember, does it make the 700 slower? One of the best qualities of the 700, especially combined with a SS amp is its speed, which pairs very well with my EDM collection. I would like to have its treble toned down a bit, but would not want to lose its speed.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #5,313 of 9,320

I'm taking a close look at the Ember. Would you recommend it over pretty much any solid state amp? (For use with the HD700, of course.)

Also, have you found a particular vacuum tube that you like best with the HD700?

At the under $500 range the Ember is hard to beat but if you can get the HA-501 it is a slightly cleaner sounding amp IMO.   I only got to try the HA-501 for a few days last month and it was used with a few high end DACs so they may have had a impact on the sound also but being all SS if would come out cheaper in the long run.  I still like the idea of being able to have fun with different tubes so I'll stay with the Ember for now.
As for tubes, most on the tube rolling thread for the Ember like 6SN7 types but I still like my Telefunken 12AU7, and new issue Mullard, Gold Lion and Tung Sol, much cheaper and easy to find.

OK, thank you, SSN2015, Kerouac, and DavidA. I just pulled the trigger on an HA-501. On eBay, Hi-Fi Heaven had two  store display models for sale, $500.00 each, so I grabbed one. (The other one is still available, as of right now, in case anyone else is interested.)

I should be able to give you my impressions in a week or so...

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #5,314 of 9,320
Originally Posted by kevinq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK, thank you, SSN2015, Kerouac, and DavidA. I just pulled the trigger on an HA-501. On eBay, Hi-Fi Heaven had two  store display models for sale, $500.00 each, so I grabbed one. (The other one is still available, as of right now, in case anyone else is interested.)

Congrats! And that's a great price too...
Here (EU) the HA-501 costs new almost $900, so I was happy when I found one (also new) for around $670 some months ago => $500 is imo a real bargain
rolleyes.gif

Hope you'll like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #5,315 of 9,320

Congrats!!! Great Price.I hope you enjoy them. Looking forward to your review.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #5,316 of 9,320

Originally Posted by kevinq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats! And that's a great price too...
Here (EU) the HA-501 costs new almost $900, so I was happy when I found one (also new) for around $670 some months ago => $500 is imo a real bargain
rolleyes.gif

Hope you'll like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, Kerouac and SSN2015. Funny thing, Hi-Fi Heaven just e-mailed me and said they're all out of the display units, and offered me a new, sealed unit for 10% more. I said OK.

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #5,318 of 9,320

Congratulations!! lt seems that you got an amazing price for the unit... Enjoy it and let us know of your impressions! 
o2smile.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #5,319 of 9,320

Congratulations!! lt seems that you got an amazing price for the unit... Enjoy it and let us know of your impressions! 
o2smile.gif

Will do!

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #5,321 of 9,320

I would recommend a JJ 6922 gold pin tube, they add a significantly more lively experience to any cans I feel. As far as the critics go for HD700s...I don't understand it. At first, I didn't really like them. It felt as though they were too open and too treble heavy After listening to them for 10 hours that changed really quick. Upgrading to a Schiit Valhalla 2 changed that even further. It's definitely a problem with the critics and not the engineers. I would say the critics are downright stupid for saying they are bad. I would get lost in the music with mine...they were just spectacular.

Just want to thank you for the JJ 6922 recommendation. I ordered one from Cryoset. I actually like it better than the Telefunken PCC88 / 7DJ8. It has less grain, stronger base, better detail and good placement on the sound stage. And you are right it does add more excitement.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #5,322 of 9,320
New HD700 owner here. After my HD600 break down on me, I got HD700 as my next. Initially, the phone sound horrible. Muffled low and sharp top. It is getting better day by day as I feed it with various type of music every day for 3 hours each day for the last 3 weeks. Hopfully it will get even better as I use it. For those who return their , I am not sure how long do they burn their phone before making the decision ? It amazed me if any shop allow user to return phone after 100+ hours. It is not going to happen in Taiwan. If this is trun, maybe I should buy your returned item for low and safe my time burning in phones.

The only thing not getting better is the stock cable. Too hard to manage and easily twisted. End up I got some 22awg copper cable (Descartes Audio) to braid myself a 3 meter with Furutech phone jack which is so soft and flexible. I am running mine using Pro-Ject CD Box paired with Burson HA160. Thinking if TEAC UD503 will be better ?

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #5,323 of 9,320
It's extremely unfortunate that today I had to return my HD 700. 
It was very hard to let go, but the reason I had to part with them was because I was getting intermittent sharp pain in my ears. Maybe it was just my ears being very picky. I don't think it has anything to do with HD 700s, I've had similar issues in the past with Shure and Beyer models.

Except for those painful incidents, I was having a blast with these HPs. They are a wonderful pair given their price point. (Just get a cable that doesn't annoy you :))
You guys in this thread have been very helpful. I'll still be around in the forums, just don't have a 700 with me anymore that's all :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,324 of 9,320
  It's extremely unfortunate that today I had to return my HD 700. 
It was very hard to let go, but the reason I had to part with them was because I was getting intermittent sharp pain in my ears. Maybe it was just my ears being very picky. I don't think it has anything to do with HD 700s, I've had similar issues in the past with Shure and Beyer models.

Except for those painful incidents, I was having a blast with these HPs. They are a wonderful pair given their price point. (Just get a cable that doesn't annoy you :))
You guys in this thread have been very helpful. I'll still be around in the forums, just don't have a 700 with me anymore that's all :)

Picked up MrSpeakers Ether to replace them.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #5,325 of 9,320
Picked up MrSpeakers Ether to replace them.

Nice choice!
The HD700 are pretty good (I heard the spike of treble glare too but it wasn't enough to bother me), but side-by-side the Ether is a bit cleaner, sharper bass impact, and slightly more even soundstage & more precise imaging. Flavor preferences (and budget) always rule the day, but objectively... Nice upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back