Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #5,281 of 9,326
Answering several guys at once, thank you for the DAC/amp recommendations. I'm taking close looks at everything suggested.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #5,282 of 9,326

I know I'm being redundant, basically repeating what I said in my long post above, but yes, in my experience, the HD700 has a better soundstage, both more spacious and more precise. I'm thinking that the angled drivers, plus the more-prominent higher frequencies (I believe higher frequencies are more directional; i.e., in a standard speaker setup, placement of the subwoofer isn't as critical as the placement of the tweeters) contribute to this.

Before getting the HD700s, I thought my HD650s were wonderfully spacious-sounding. However, they actually sound quite congested in comparison with the HD700s. That is is what I'm experiencing, at least, and I've heard several others comment similarly. And this is using the same, mid- to lo-fi amps that I have.

Sorry, you absolutely covered it in your awesome write-up/review. After I made my post I went back and re-read your review and I found it there. I am bit paranoid since I haven't had a chance to listen to the 700s (the local stores only have 650s). Hence my post. I liked what I heard on the 650s but I also loved the comfort on the 800s. I am really hoping the 700s are as comfortable as the 800s and doesn't sounds as bright as the 800s. The latter is important as highs on the 800s bother me a lot.

Bonus Question: How does the HD 700 compare to say the  Oppo PM-1 or PM-2 ? It looks a toss-up between the 2 and the 700 is in the lead right now :)

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #5,283 of 9,326

I know I'm being redundant, basically repeating what I said in my long post above, but yes, in my experience, the HD700 has a better soundstage, both more spacious and more precise. I'm thinking that the angled drivers, plus the more-prominent higher frequencies (I believe higher frequencies are more directional; i.e., in a standard speaker setup, placement of the subwoofer isn't as critical as the placement of the tweeters) contribute to this.

Before getting the HD700s, I thought my HD650s were wonderfully spacious-sounding. However, they actually sound quite congested in comparison with the HD700s. That is is what I'm experiencing, at least, and I've heard several others comment similarly. And this is using the same, mid- to lo-fi amps that I have.

Sorry, you absolutely covered it in your awesome write-up/review. After I made my post I went back and re-read your review and I found it there. I am bit paranoid since I haven't had a chance to listen to the 700s (the local stores only have 650s). Hence my post. I liked what I heard on the 650s but I also loved the comfort on the 800s. I am really hoping the 700s are as comfortable as the 800s and doesn't sounds as bright as the 800s. The latter is important as highs on the 800s bother me a lot.

Bonus Question: How does the HD 700 compare to say the  Oppo PM-1 or PM-2 ? It looks a toss-up between the 2 and the 700 is in the lead right now :)

I purchased the HD700's without hearing them first, and am very pleased with them. The HD700's are definitely brighter-sounding than the HD650's. It was a few months ago that I heard the HD800's, so it's hard for me to compare them with the HD700's. I mainly remember that the HD800's were really spacious-sounding, and the HD700's definitely have some of that flavor. I don't remember being bothered by the highs on the HD800's, so if they do bother you, that's something for you consider when thinking about the HD700's. However, I thought I preferred the "darker" sound of the HD650's, until I  heard the HD700's. Now, the HD650's seem too dark to me.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Oppo's. Perhaps someone else can comment on those.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #5,284 of 9,326
I own the HD650 and the HD800 and I love them both.

I just got my new amp and have been tossing the idea around about maybe picking up an HD700.

Anybody listen to the blues as their main genre....how are these cans with the blues ?

Thanks for any info.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #5,285 of 9,326

I just got my new amp and have been tossing the idea around about maybe picking up an HD700.

Anybody listen to the blues as their main genre....how are these cans with the blues ?

Thanks for any info.

I don't listen to blues but the HD-700 is more musical than the HD-800 but not as lush as the HD-650 IMO.  I love all three since they are so different in their sound signatures.  I know you just got that sweet looking Glenn amp so the HD-700 will be well driven with it.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #5,286 of 9,326

Thanks for any info.
thats what I have been tossing around lately. I also own the 800, 650, & 600. Guess I"ll complete the family and grab the 700's sometime soon. I've been reading good things lately

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,287 of 9,326
Just pulled the trigger on HD-700, they should be here in the next day or two.
Thanks everyone for your inputs. A lot of you played a part in the decision.

The decision making process was tough, it started out being 650 vs 700, then PM-2 vs 700 and finally X2 vs 700. Then I finally settled on the 700s (at least for now :))

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #5,288 of 9,326
  Just pulled the trigger on HD-700, they should be here in the next day or two.
Thanks everyone for your inputs. A lot of you played a part in the decision.

The decision making process was tough, it started out being 650 vs 700, then PM-2 vs 700 and finally X2 vs 700. Then I finally settled on the 700s (at least for now :))

Cool! Please let us know your impressions, when you get them.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #5,289 of 9,326

Thanks for any info.

thats what I have been tossing around lately. I also own the 800, 650, & 600. Guess I"ll complete the family and grab the 700's sometime soon. I've been reading good things lately

It is pretty tempting.

What is a good price for a new pair. ?

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #5,293 of 9,326
  I picked up mine from Amazon for $567. But if you are not in a hurry you could get them for $500-520 online. (USD)

That is a great price. I bought mine about 6 months ago for $750. I noticed a few weeks after that, most of the retailers I would go through (B&H Photo, and etc...) had lowered the price to $550, but recently, I have noticed that they are now $750 again. So, if you can get them (new) for $500 - $550, you are getting a good deal IMO. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #5,294 of 9,326
Thanks for the info , guys.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #5,295 of 9,326
My HD 700 was delivered this morning.

Was listening to it for a few hours ... the few things that obviously stood out for me were the soundstage, the airy-ness in the presentation and the control over bass notes. This HP is very detailed at the same time not sounding "analytical". Well recorded acoustic music sounded great. I was worried about the treble being too bright (because the treble on the HD 800 is bright for me), but that wasn't the case. I was not bothered by the treble at all.

I still love my LCD-3s powered by Mjolnir 2 (the setup I've at home), but the HD 700s driven by the modest HF2A (Mullard tubes) was no slouch in comparison. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 hours or so of listening I did today.

These are just my quick/initial impressions. I'll try to do a detailed post when I've had a chance to spend more time with it.
So far happy with my choice (also scratching my head about all the bad press out there about these headphones - that made my decision making process unnecessarily hard :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back