Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #5,206 of 9,319

Hmm, interesting. I was not aware that there was a problem with the stock cable, nor did I know that it was as you described. Maybe I got a newer (improved model). My cable neither kinks, nor is it bent to a certain shape. It is straight as an arrow. Now, if you get it twisted and slide your fingers down it to untwist it, it can loop at a certain point, and you have to manually unloop it, but I am not having ANY of the issues you are talking about.

Edit: And, my cable is more like a coating of Kevlar, than memory foam.

Same here

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #5,207 of 9,319

Hmm, interesting. I was not aware that there was a problem with the stock cable, nor did I know that it was as you described. Maybe I got a newer (improved model). My cable neither kinks, nor is it bent to a certain shape. It is straight as an arrow. Now, if you get it twisted and slide your fingers down it to untwist it, it can loop at a certain point, and you have to manually unloop it, but I am not having ANY of the issues you are talking about.

Edit: And, my cable is more like a coating of Kevlar, than memory foam.

Maybe Sennheiser heard all the complaints here and changed them, lucky you
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #5,213 of 9,319
Just got mine yesterday, took the Amazon seller two days to ship it out, but otherwise got here just fine.  Really, really happy with these.

Now, I'm not an experienced audiophile, but I'd like to think I have at least an idea of what sounds good.  So, take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, I don't have a great way to drive these right now, still doing some research on that.  For now, it's either straight out of the iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro, or a fully balanced reference-class Sonic Frontiers tube pre-amp.  FYI, for anyone that has experience with those units, it won't drive the HD700s unless I use the SSP (surround sound processing) and I'd love to figure out why that is.  It auto-mutes when I plug in the HD700s if I use any other input for the source.  Anyway....

First used them on the MBP, just to get a rough idea.  First couple minutes were incredibly harsh, as to be expected.  Just needed to get broken in. However, they immediately softened up.  Despite the utter lack of power, and what I'm sure is a less than stellar DAC in the computer, they did sound pretty great with all my 24/96 files.  I have a few 24/192 files, all of those seem like they were transferred very well, going to listen to some of those tonight.

Listened to a few tracks of U2 - War, as many of those tracks have a way of pushing headphones to the limit.  Sunday Bloody Sunday in particular is a pretty hard-hitting song, this is not a remastered rip, so it's a bit bright, however it sounded great on the HD700s.  Lacking in bass, until I equalized a bit.  Also listened to a few tracks off of Fun's debut album, a few songs off of Bonobo - The North Borders; Jay Z - Black Album; Kid Cudi - Indicud; STRFKR - Miracle Mile, and a couple tracks off of Bridge Over Troubled Water.  All were 24/96.  All sounded great with the computer alone, especially after letting the headphones work for a bit.  Really softened out.  Tons of detail, as expected.  Great soundstage even with the internal DAC.

After this, hooked up the MBP to the Sonic Frontiers tube amp, and tried to see what it would do.  Unfortunately, since I'm limited to SSP input, I didn't have volume control via the amp, just had to settle for the computer.  Even so - wow.  Unreal.  Amazing clarity, plenty of bass, and very full-bodied.  Overall they are slightly bright headphones, but I'm ok with that.  There's nothing I hate more than muddiness or lack of clarity.  These don't have that problem at all.  I think even this amp isn't quite up to the task of driving these things, it's just not made for this application.  Also, again was using the SSP input, not sure how that affected the signal, and was also using the stock DAC and volume control of the computer, so I'm sure that didn't help.  I actually wanted a little more driver control under 100 hz or so, but now I'm stretching.  Not practical to listen like this all the time, as the amp is in a stereo cabinet for the other hi-fi stuff, but it's fun right now.  All I can say is - with anything like a proper headphone amp and DAC, these should be stunning.  They're already stunning with the Sonic Frontiers unit.

Straight out of the iPhone, I actually think they sound better than straight out of the MBP.  Less power to drive them, but IMO, a better DAC and more accurate sound.  Also less bright, although maybe by the time I got to that test, they were worked in even more.  Hard to say.  All they need is more power, for more volume and harder-hitting bass.  Clarity and accurate is still great.

Overall, I can't say if they're worth the price, as I don't have much to compare them to apart from my TF10s with a custom cable and Comply tips.  However, I feel happy with the price I paid, and I really enjoy listening to them.  I'm thinking of picking up a Fiio E17K in the short term, just to have something portable, inexpensive, and effective.  Long-run...I'm going to save my pennies for the ALO Dual Mono, if I can.  That thing  looks amazing.  For now, I'm happy with how they sound, as I knew I'd be in this situation going in.

Comfort is amazing, build quality is also pretty damn good.  I suppose for the original $1k asking price, it's a lot of plastic, but it's some of the nicest plastic you can use, so I have no problem with it.  Have to get a headphone stand next as well.  My cable has some kinks in it from being packaged, but has enough weight that you can lay it straight and it's fine.  Not having any problems with it at the moment at least.  FYI, using a Grado 1/4 -to- 1/8 adapter, very well-made, I'm sure it's not affecting the sound in any material way.

Overall, despite my worries about bass, I can tell that with a proper amp, they'll be outstanding and will have more bass than anybody could need.  I'd say overall I made a great decision with this.

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #5,214 of 9,319
So I have had my pair of 700s for a little over a month now. Powering them with a standard Objective 2, from the isolated audio output on an Asus Maximus VII Hero. Since my first listen and up to now the most amazing thing to me is the imaging. I feel like I know exactly where everything in every song is placed down to the last centimeter- whether that be in gaming or in music. I am a big electronic music lover along with most other genres, and they certainly don't disappoint there. Super crisp, articulated bass, beautiful smooth mids that make female vocals sound fantastic, and extremely detailed highs, albeit they are sometimes sibilant, but ONLY if it is a flaw in the recording. Anything well mixed will be a joy on these. All in all I am blown away, and at $430, this was a steal.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #5,215 of 9,319
Although I'm pretty new to this site and modern headphones, I was an obsessed audiophile a couple of decades ago. I recently bought a pair of HD700s because the price drop made it possible for me to try what many seem to consider to be a high-end phone. I'm running it USB out of PC to Aune T1 Mk II DAC section only to relatively new Little Dot Mk IV SE with stock tubes. Source is primarily Tidal HD FLAC files. My music taste is extremely eclectic so I seek that elusive DAC, amp, headphone combination at which I "can throw anything" ))),

I can't really compare the HD700s to other comparable phones (only other cans right now I have are the HD589 and Sumsung Level Over I use for travel). But what I love about the HD700s is they provide me with hours of musical enjoyment without physical or sonic fatigue. It seems to me the HD700s are capable of greatness but source is all important. With a 6922 Gold Lion tube in the Aune's buffer section, the music is detailed with fairly good sound state, but a little harsh and no soul.

The only other tubes I have right now for the Aune are 2 Electro-Harmonix 6922s. One with gold pins, other without. There is a significant difference between the two EHs. The one with the gold pins is clearly superior. It improves the sound stage and detail over the Gold Lion and adds "soul" to the music without any harshness. Maybe the HD700s do have those infamous spikes but with the right combination in front of them I just don't hear it.

I'm waiting for a platinum grade, cyroed Telefunken PCC88 / 7DJ8 from Upscale Audio (I know-pretty obsessive for my lowly Aune!!!). I have also ordered the test extender, adapter and C3G tubes to try in the LD.

What baffles me is how could the company that produced such great phones (according to what many have said) as the HD600, HD650 and HD800 have gotten it so wrong with the HD700s - as many critics here seem to feel? Did all the Sennheiser engineers die or quit, and they had to start all over with a new crew???

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #5,216 of 9,319
  Although I'm pretty new to this site and modern headphones, I was an obsessed audiophile a couple of decades ago. ...................

But what I love about the HD700s is they provide me with hours of musical enjoyment without physical or sonic fatigue. ..............
but a little harsh and no soul.

.......................... have gotten it so wrong with the HD700s - as many critics here seem to feel? Did all the Sennheiser engineers die or quit, and they had to start all over with a new crew???

Well .....first welcome and thanks for posting...

So do you like the 700s or do you not...hard to follow...?

Me I've been out of the loop here as I'm getting acquainted with a pair of Audeze LCD-2.2s....interesting phones and so far a nice compliment to the HD700s...which I still greatly appreciate..and the ones IMHO Sennheiser got right.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #5,217 of 9,319
  Well .....first welcome and thanks for posting...

So do you like the 700s or do you not...hard to follow...?

Me I've been out of the loop here as I'm getting acquainted with a pair of Audeze LCD-2.2s....interesting phones and so far a nice compliment to the HD700s...which I still greatly appreciate..and the ones IMHO Sennheiser got right.
wink.gif

Thanks so much for the welcome, and I'm sorry for the lack of clarity ))

I really love the HD700s. They seem well balanced tonally and musically pretty accurate from top to bottom, with good extension at both ends. With good recordings, I feel a personal connection with the performance not totally unlike I think I would feel if I were actually there. Above all, they are providing me hours of musical enjoyment, and for me that's what it is all about. I started by going back and listening to a lot of music from my distant past, but they are now leading me to explore all kinds of more current music I didn't even realize exists.

I've read very good things about the LCD-2 and think I understand why you find them a good compliment to the HD700s. Will keep them in mind )))

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #5,218 of 9,319
  Although I'm pretty new to this site and modern headphones, I was an obsessed audiophile a couple of decades ago. I recently bought a pair of HD700s because the price drop made it possible for me to try what many seem to consider to be a high-end phone. I'm running it USB out of PC to Aune T1 Mk II DAC section only to relatively new Little Dot Mk IV SE with stock tubes. Source is primarily Tidal HD FLAC files. My music taste is extremely eclectic so I seek that elusive DAC, amp, headphone combination at which I "can throw anything" ))),

I can't really compare the HD700s to other comparable phones (only other cans right now I have are the HD589 and Sumsung Level Over I use for travel). But what I love about the HD700s is they provide me with hours of musical enjoyment without physical or sonic fatigue. It seems to me the HD700s are capable of greatness but source is all important. With a 6922 Gold Lion tube in the Aune's buffer section, the music is detailed with fairly good sound state, but a little harsh and no soul.

The only other tubes I have right now for the Aune are 2 Electro-Harmonix 6922s. One with gold pins, other without. There is a significant difference between the two EHs. The one with the gold pins is clearly superior. It improves the sound stage and detail over the Gold Lion and adds "soul" to the music without any harshness. Maybe the HD700s do have those infamous spikes but with the right combination in front of them I just don't hear it.

I'm waiting for a platinum grade, cyroed Telefunken PCC88 / 7DJ8 from Upscale Audio (I know-pretty obsessive for my lowly Aune!!!). I have also ordered the test extender, adapter and C3G tubes to try in the LD.

What baffles me is how could the company that produced such great phones (according to what many have said) as the HD600, HD650 and HD800 have gotten it so wrong with the HD700s - as many critics here seem to feel? Did all the Sennheiser engineers die or quit, and they had to start all over with a new crew???

I would recommend a JJ 6922 gold pin tube, they add a significantly more lively experience to any cans I feel. As far as the critics go for HD700s...I don't understand it. At first, I didn't really like them. It felt as though they were too open and too treble heavy After listening to them for 10 hours that changed really quick. Upgrading to a Schiit Valhalla 2 changed that even further. It's definitely a problem with the critics and not the engineers. I would say the critics are downright stupid for saying they are bad. I would get lost in the music with mine...they were just spectacular.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #5,219 of 9,319

Consider applying a little Deoxit to the pins on the non-gold version and see if that doesn't make a difference. These pins may just be oxidized a bit. I have done this will all of my tubes and it really cleans a lot of gunk off, allowing for a better electrical connection with the tube socket.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,220 of 9,319

I would recommend a JJ 6922 gold pin tube, they add a significantly more lively experience to any cans I feel. As far as the critics go for HD700s...I don't understand it. At first, I didn't really like them. It felt as though they were too open and too treble heavy After listening to them for 10 hours that changed really quick. Upgrading to a Schiit Valhalla 2 changed that even further. It's definitely a problem with the critics and not the engineers. I would say the critics are downright stupid for saying they are bad. I would get lost in the music with mine...they were just spectacular.

Thanks. I have ordered one and will give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back