Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #4,698 of 9,318
The likelihood the problem lies with headphones miniscule. He probably doesn't like the sound of the HD 700. Which I don't blame him. I'm hear to read responses of people claiming the HD 700 is amazing when they haven't listened to other headphones to realise what they are missing.

What is the point of this statement that you are in this thread to "read responses of people claiming the HD-700 is amazing when they haven't listened to other headphones to realize what they are missing"?  Most of the posters here seem to have owned or tried many headphones including the HD-700 and are quite knowledgeable.  Also, you should go and read the posting guide that @Koolpep and another posted.

I've acquired over 30+ headphones, DACs and Amps in the last 2-3 years in addition to those that I've had from my high school and college days and have kept most for their different sound signatures because I like the different representations that they provide.  I still say that I'm still a beginner when it comes to headphones but am learning.  I also have a lot of hifi equipment that I purchased over the years (see my profile).  One thing I've found is that everyone hears differently and everyone has their own preference as to what sounds good so the best we can give is a comparison between different headphones and include one that you have heard to give a frame of reference.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #4,700 of 9,318
  Ok.

Just got these.

$400 shipped, used, only stipulation is that the stock cable is shorted. An aftermarket one has been provided as a substitute.

Bass immediately sounds offensive. Rolls off too early. Flabby and thick. Wait, why do these sound dark? Aren't these supposed to be bright? Turn them up a little. Holy ****, nothing could have prepared me for that treble. These sound super metallic. Gross, wow. Everything sounds wrong. Midrange is recessed. Upper midrange is almost absent. Treble is violent and sporadic. Ow.

Resolution is good, clarity is not due to recessed upper midrange. Soundstage is above average. Comfort is absolutely fantastic; almost better than HD800. Build is good. Frequency response appears to be the only massive issue with this headphone.

Bizarrely, these are the most tolerable with electronic music. I was expecting otherwise as most electronica is mixed poorly (brightly). The moment anything recorded comes into play, I want to gingerly rip them off of my skull.

More to come as I get used to them.

That's why you doh'nt buy expensive headphones "Used" because they either sell you the defective ones or there's something wrong with the driver.  

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #4,701 of 9,318
  That's why you doh'nt buy expensive headphones "Used" because they either sell you the defective ones or there's something wrong with the driver.  

In general, I don't think that's the case. I bought my HD-700s new, but my HD-650s were used and it's worked out great. A lot of people on Head-Fi are constantly buying and selling used 'phones as an affordable way to try out different models.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #4,702 of 9,318

In general, I don't think that's the case. I bought my HD-700s new, but my HD-650s were used and it's worked out great. A lot of people on Head-Fi are constantly buying and selling used 'phones as an affordable way to try out different models.

But that's only if you get lucky and get a good "used" headphones.  I wouldn't trust buying a used headphone especially an expensive one.
Most of the time ppl who bought "used" ones don't really know what 's wrong with it.  It might have a little bit off the frequency curve that was originally tuned or there's a bit of harshness somehwere in the frequency response.
And most ppl will think that they just got themselves  a really good deal but they actually not unless they have the right equipment to check.  Like if someone bought a used pair of HD800, and when they first put it on their head and start listening to their music,
they prob go "wow" it sounds amazing, but in reality, there's might be something wrong with the driver without they knowing it.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4,703 of 9,318
ok, guess I'm making a new thread for the modding worklog

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #4,705 of 9,318
The likelihood the problem lies with headphones miniscule. He probably doesn't like the sound of the HD 700. Which I don't blame him. I'm hear to read responses of people claiming the HD 700 is amazing when they haven't listened to other headphones to realise what they are missing.

Then maybe you should read back to the beginning of this thread (and all the way through). Yes, there are people that get rid of the 700's, but you will see a LOT of people that buy them, try them, buy something else, try them, and ultimately gravitate back to the 700's. I would say (without trying to offend) that there are MORE people that find them amazing sounding, than not (and DO realize what they are missing/giving up).

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #4,706 of 9,318
  Then maybe you should read back to the beginning of this thread (and all the way through). Yes, there are people that get rid of the 700's, but you will see a LOT of people that buy them, try them, buy something else, try them, and ultimately gravitate back to the 700's. I would say (without trying to offend) that there are MORE people that find them amazing sounding, than not (and DO realize what they are missing/giving up).

+1
Agreed total. This was me exactly.
:thumbsup:

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #4,707 of 9,318
This thread is for people  to tell others about their impressions of these HD700 headphones. I don't know if there was truly an "appreciation aspect" to the original intent.  I like them very much and hope most will be positive or at least balanced.  It is painful to read juvenile insults cast widely over the product.  I think it should be an appreciation thread, if it is possible to define the "impressions" more finely at this point.

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #4,708 of 9,318
  Ok.

Just got these.

$400 shipped, used, only stipulation is that the stock cable is shorted. An aftermarket one has been provided as a substitute.

Bass immediately sounds offensive. Rolls off too early. Flabby and thick. Wait, why do these sound dark? Aren't these supposed to be bright? Turn them up a little. Holy ****, nothing could have prepared me for that treble. These sound super metallic. Gross, wow. Everything sounds wrong. Midrange is recessed. Upper midrange is almost absent. Treble is violent and sporadic. Ow.

Resolution is good, clarity is not due to recessed upper midrange. Soundstage is above average. Comfort is absolutely fantastic; almost better than HD800. Build is good. Frequency response appears to be the only massive issue with this headphone.

Bizarrely, these are the most tolerable with electronic music. I was expecting otherwise as most electronica is mixed poorly (brightly). The moment anything recorded comes into play, I want to gingerly rip them off of my skull.

Wow!  Polar opposite to my very first impressions. Actually it´s the second time someone mention that HD700 have recessed midrange - really I can´t, just can´t agree on that - I personally like forward mids that´s why I have my Shures and comparing them (right now) to HD700 - NO WAY HD700 mids are recessed. Treble is well extended, natural and never offensive (for me anyways), soundstage is very good, bass is punchy, and extends well enough for me to like it MUCH more than the bass of Fidelio X1, they do not sound wrong to me (only if connected to a 12 year-old laptop: thin and lifeless).  

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #4,709 of 9,318
  Ok.

Just got these.

Looks like you’ve stirred up a hornets nest..well not quite…but from your impressions I’m even wondering if the previous owner did not wire the phones out of phase when he shortened the stock cable…and from experience 
redface.gif
IMHO I'd say it was.... and if the aftermarket cable does the same…I’m equally at a loss.
confused.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #4,710 of 9,318
  This thread is for people  to tell others about their impressions of these HD700 headphones. I don't know if there was truly an "appreciation aspect" to the original intent.  I like them very much and hope most will be positive or at least balanced.  It is painful to read juvenile insults cast widely over the product.  I think it should be an appreciation thread, if it is possible to define the "impressions" more finely at this point.

I totally agree with you here. I DO think it should be impressions (good AND bad). Like takato14. While I totally disagree with his impressions, I think it is important that he share what his thoughts are... When you have people that just offer "I'm hear to read responses of people claiming the HD 700 is amazing when they haven't listened to other headphones to realise what they are missing.", they are admittedly trolling this thread, and I don't want it to get shut down because it gets out of control, like some others I have seen. I personally like reading daily, the chatter about different pairings of amps, best cables, and etc, for these cans. Nuff said!
  Yeah! That would be great. Try out the anaxilus mod.

Is this something new, or tried and true (hey look I rhymed there haha). I will look it up (out of curiosity).
ok, guess I'm making a new thread for the modding worklog

Post back here when you do please? I would like to follow your progress on this project..:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back