Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #4,456 of 9,319
  I'm warming up the ol' credit card for Amazon Hype Day and I'm looking for deals on either Fidelio X2 or HD700.

X2 is normally $299 and HD700 has been trending down to $500 lately (I know about the Massdrop $480 deal). I haven't heard X2 but based on comparisons with HD6x0 I've read, it's very interesting. Innerfidelity review makes it sound like HD600 for the modern age. I've briefly heard the 700 at Best Buy. I really liked its fit and "authoritative" sound. I was listening with (too) loud volume to overcome the background noise in the store and had some reservations about the much maligned top end (Fogerty yodeling on some CCR track).

I currently have HD598 and I'm starting to get annoyed by its limitations. Especially after hearing HD700. I'm after more resolution and better bass.

Any advise, considering X2 is about half the price? Oh, and I'm not at all adverse to EQ. I have Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack hooked up to a PiCorePlayer (and also a Fiio E07K), not very interested in changing that chain. I might get around to building a Bottlehead Crack to enhance the Mad Scientist vibe in my living room, but you won't find me in a tube rolling thread. I'd rather use predictable EQ.

I have the X1, HD-598 and HD-700 and used to use a modi/magni stack before getting a Project Ember, BH Crack and Lyr2.

X1: very easy to drive, sounds good out of Galaxy S5 or Fiio X3ii and X1,  I've tried a friends X2 and its not as fun as the X1 but it is also has a better balanced sound signature.

HD-598: a little bass lite for me, modi/magni works quite well but sounds better with the Ember, but its not a "WOW" difference.

HD-700: for $500 or less its a great buy, pairs great with Ember, and as you noted it has much better resolution and bass but it will also reveal any short comings in your chain.  While the BH Crack is a great amp for high Z headphones like the HD-600/650/800 is does not pair as well as the Ember for the HD-700.  I feel that the lower impedance of the HD-700 (150ohms) is to low for use with the BH Crack.

Tube rolling with Ember: only one tube and very easy to find ones.
Tube rolling with Crack: need to find power and driver tubes so gets a little more costly

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #4,457 of 9,319
A quick update:

For the first time since I bought my T1 in 2010 have a felt like I was listening to music for the first time again. The HD700 has that wow factor to it for sure. This thing oozes detail, transparency, resolving capability, and texture. It's warm and bassy, but the bass is never intrusive in the experience. It's there when needed.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #4,458 of 9,319
X1: very easy to drive, sounds good out of Galaxy S5 or Fiio X3ii and X1,  I've tried a friends X2 and its not as fun as the X1 but it is also has a better balanced sound signature.  
HD-700: for $500 or less its a great buy, pairs great with Ember, and as you noted it has much better resolution and bass but it will also reveal any short comings in your chain.  While the BH Crack is a great amp for high Z headphones like the HD-600/650/800 is does not pair as well as the Ember for the HD-700.  I feel that the lower impedance of the HD-700 (150ohms) is to low for use with the BH Crack.

Thanks DavidA, I appreciate your reply except for re-complicating my thinking :wink:

I had almost convinced myself that X2 was the way to go (cheaper, easier to drive, fairly uniform reviews etc) but this reminded me that yes, HD700 is a level up. On the gripping hand, even a 598 shows how crappy a lot of classic 60/70's rock recordings are. I hope they won't turn unlistenable with a 700. Well, I listen to more modern jazz nowadays anyway.

Anybody want to comment on HD700 with Magni/2/U?

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #4,460 of 9,319

Thanks DavidA, I appreciate your reply except for re-complicating my thinking :wink:

I had almost convinced myself that X2 was the way to go (cheaper, easier to drive, fairly uniform reviews etc) but this reminded me that yes, HD700 is a level up. On the gripping hand, even a 598 shows how crappy a lot of classic 60/70's rock recordings are. I hope they won't turn unlistenable with a 700. Well, I listen to more modern jazz nowadays anyway.

Anybody want to comment on HD700 with Magni/2/U?

Not to confuse you any more but if you listen to modern jazz you may want to see if you can find a SennGrado or build one, I've built 3 so far and for the price they are a bargain.  Only variable is the PX-100ii drivers, the three that I have all sound different but even the worst is really good and the best is really really good, bass like a HE-400, mids like a HD-650 and highs like a HD-800 along with a good soundstage.  Used dynamat and position of drivers within the wood cups to tune it a little.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #4,461 of 9,319

Not to confuse you any more but if you listen to modern jazz you may want to see if you can find a SennGrado or build one, I've built 3 so far and for the price they are a bargain.  Only variable is the PX-100ii drivers, the three that I have all sound different but even the worst is really good and the best is really really good, bass like a HE-400, mids like a HD-650 and highs like a HD-800 along with a good soundstage.  Used dynamat and position of drivers within the wood cups to tune it a little.

That sounds like a fun project... been looking for an excuse a reason to get a little wood lathe :wink:
Have a link to build instructions? What's the cost ballpark? Are you serious about the sound quality?

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #4,462 of 9,319

That sounds like a fun project... been looking for an excuse a reason to get a little wood lathe :wink:
Have a link to build instructions? What's the cost ballpark? Are you serious about the sound quality?

Go to the SennGrado thread, (http://www.head-fi.org/t/738035/senngrado-thread) lots of info there, as for cost: wood cups $70-110 (Walnut, Rosewood, Mahogany are the 3 types of wood cups that I have), headband $15-20 (like MDR-7506 headband), PX-100ii drivers $38-45 (find used ones), dynamat $10, cables $10-35, ear pads $20 (like "L" cushions but "G" is not bad also).
As for the sound quality, yes I'm serious, they are that good, my RS2e and SR-225e don't get much use anymore.  I've also made the cables removable using SMC connectors (HifiMan type) so I can use the cables that I built for my HE-560/400i/400.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4,465 of 9,319
There's also kids talking about a full on Stax 009 set up… means nothing.

Well, it DOES mean something if your point is "not many 15 year olds have X" when... yeah, there are plenty of parents out there who will spoil the crap out of their kids and buy them TOTL gear. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,466 of 9,319

Well, it DOES mean something if your point is "not many 15 year olds have X" when... yeah, there are plenty of parents out there who will spoil the crap out of their kids and buy them TOTL gear. 

Gave my son a HE-560 for his high school graduation which I though was getting away cheap compared to some of my other friends who were on the hook for cars and other $$$$ items.  So yeah there are some parents who spoil their kids, for my son it was getting a 3.8 GPA to get the HE-560.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #4,467 of 9,319
My son is 17 and has a nice hi end system made up of some of my old gear. When we go to audio shows together, he is quickly able to evaluate systems and make comparisons. He notices way more treble issues than I do because my 52 year old ears don't even hear it.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #4,469 of 9,319
My son is 17 and has a nice hi end system made up of some of my old gear. When we go to audio shows together, he is quickly able to evaluate systems and make comparisons. He notices way more treble issues than I do because my 52 year old ears don't even hear it.

Same here, I'm 54 and there aren't too many times I've had problems with treble spikes and such but my son (20) and girlfriend (42) have issues with the HD-700 if not driven properly but with the Ember they both enjoy it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back