Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #2,611 of 9,298
  I am stuck between the oppo HA-1 or the woo audio w7. I have a cirrus dac and also two amps with burr brown dacs. should i go tube crazy cuz i have enough dacs. or max out dacs and then enter tubeland???? I know with the ess sabre 32 dac i will be hearing new things. i have never heard a tube type before.

Oppo HA-1 should do you well it has a ton more features but it's solid state amp too rather than tube and that will be a little bit harsher than the tube amp the question is if you want that. Think about the amp part, HA-1 also has a ton more power to drive bigger headphones, but Sennheisers always love tube amps until you get to the very top where apparently solid state is good enough :wink:

I've used my HD700 with the STX card at first then I added Lyr and then I went to dedicated DAC (Vega) though when I had the Vega I also already had the LCD-3 and even a little bit earlier... I'm actually thinking whether to sell my HD700 or not cause it doesn't have/get much use nowadays.

What you should do actually right now is start with adding a tube amp to your receiver or whatever DAC you're using and later on if you want better overall resolution you would upgrade the DAC. Take notice - Tubes don't last forever.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #2,612 of 9,298
It looks like I will have the hd700 and a standard geek pulse in less than a week. I hope it sounds okay together. I am also hoping that the bass isn't a lot less than an hd650, that being the highest tiered senn I have heard. Time to search the thread for reassurance. Are the mentioned treble spikes more harsh than say, a th600 or akg q701?

I think you'll actually really enjoy them! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuWF7MEpVwk&t=45s

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #2,613 of 9,298
It looks like I will have the hd700 and a standard geek pulse in less than a week. I hope it sounds okay together. I am also hoping that the bass isn't a lot less than an hd650, that being the highest tiered senn I have heard. Time to search the thread for reassurance. Are the mentioned treble spikes more harsh than say, a th600 or akg q701?

I think you'll actually really enjoy them! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuWF7MEpVwk&t=45s

Oh no : (

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #2,614 of 9,298
So far I've only been able to find better equalizers if they come with an audio player. MusicBee (similar to Winamp) seems to have a 15-band EQ.

However since I use Google Play Music (All Access), it's not practical to use it.

Is there a program any of you would recommend to modify the EQ for my PC with 32 bands? It has one built in, but as you can see it's rather plain:

Also in both images I do have the equalizer set to make the HD700 sound tolerable for now. I guess my ears are just sensitive to treble.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2,615 of 9,298
Oh no : (

biggrin.gif
  I've had mine for a few weeks now. I heard them at a meet (MHDT Havana --> Woo7 --> HD700) and I kinda thought they sounded good so I picked a pair up. Of course that's tubes on tubes to really distort the treble down. 

As long as I'm not cranking up the volume, I find these to be somewhat fun and enjoyable for vocals. FWIW I think if you consider the HD800's perfect, these aren't far from it. I think they share many of the same flaws as the HD800, but to a larger extent. 

I've tried some basic mods that have worked out well. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #2,617 of 9,298
MusicBee has a plugin to play Google Play AA through it now, check their site. 

Quote:
  So far I've only been able to find better equalizers if they come with an audio player. MusicBee (similar to Winamp) seems to have a 15-band EQ.

However since I use Google Play Music (All Access), it's not practical to use it.

Is there a program any of you would recommend to modify the EQ for my PC with 32 bands? It has one built in, but as you can see it's rather plain:

Also in both images I do have the equalizer set to make the HD700 sound tolerable for now. I guess my ears are just sensitive to treble.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #2,618 of 9,298
This might help:
Download and install EqualizerAPO at http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
>go to the EqualizerAPO directory
>config directory and open config.txt file
>set DB value(6) to "0", press CTRL+S to save changes
>Select all text in the file and replace it with the following: 

Filter Settings file
Room EQ V5.00
Dated: November 28, 2014
Notes: HD 700 fix
Equaliser: Generic
No measurement
Filter  1: ON  PK       Fc    10.0 Hz  Gain  4.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter  2: ON  PK       Fc    20.0 Hz  Gain  1.2 dB  Q 8.00
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc    31.0 Hz  Gain  3.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc    40.0 Hz  Gain  0.3 dB  Q 8.00
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc    50.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter  6: ON  PK       Fc    62.0 Hz  Gain  3.2 dB  Q 8.00
Filter  7: ON  PK       Fc    70.0 Hz  Gain  0.2 dB  Q 8.00
Filter  8: ON  PK       Fc    80.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter  9: ON  PK       Fc    90.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 10: ON  PK       Fc    100.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 11: ON  PK       Fc    200.0 Hz  Gain  -0.5 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 12: ON  PK       Fc    300.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 13: ON  PK       Fc    400.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 14: ON  PK       Fc    500.0 Hz  Gain  -0.8 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 15: ON  PK       Fc    600.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 16: ON  PK       Fc    700.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 17: ON  PK       Fc    800.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 18: ON  PK       Fc    900.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 19: ON  PK       Fc   1000.0 Hz  Gain  -0.8 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 20: ON  PK       Fc   2000.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 21: ON  PK       Fc   3000.0 Hz  Gain  -2.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 22: ON  PK       Fc   4000.0 Hz  Gain  -1.5 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 23: ON  PK       Fc   5000.0 Hz  Gain  -3.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 24: ON  PK       Fc   6000.0 Hz  Gain  -4.8 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 25: ON  PK       Fc   7000.0 Hz  Gain  -1.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 26: ON  PK       Fc   8000.0 Hz  Gain  1.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 27: ON  PK       Fc   9000.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 28: ON  PK       Fc  10000.0 Hz  Gain  4.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 29: ON  PK       Fc  13000.0 Hz  Gain  8.5 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 30: ON  PK       Fc  16000.0 Hz  Gain  1.4 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 31: ON  PK       Fc  20000.0 Hz  Gain  0.0 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 32: ON  PK       Fc     32.0 Hz  Gain  0.5 dB  Q 8.00
Filter 33: ON  PK       Fc     64.0 Hz  Gain  2.0 dB  Q 8.00

> press CTRL+S to save changes

In my case I have no problem at all with the treble but this equalizer program and settings will probably help you (it affects all).

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,621 of 9,298

Hey mate,

Instead of eqing on my fiio e17, I've been using a system wide equalizer from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ . It works with with Windows 8 and you can set as many bands as you want and it works on ALL programs spotify, foobar, you name it. I'm only using 13 bands and I've just eq'd 6khz down by -6db and it really tames the treble.You will also need a GUI for it as well which you can get from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/ just place the .exe into the same folder as the apo equalizer and you're good to go :D

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #2,622 of 9,298
God dammit

WA7 $999. Might stretch for that. How much does it cost delivered to Europe? 1100€
Oppo HA-1 $1199. In Europe? 1499€

Honestly at this point I'm just thinking about getting Audio GD NFB15. Or are there any better options for europeans? I hear Crack is good but honestly it looks atrocious.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #2,623 of 9,298
  God dammit

WA7 $999. Might stretch for that. How much does it cost delivered to Europe? 1100€
Oppo HA-1 $1199. In Europe? 1499€

Honestly at this point I'm just thinking about getting Audio GD NFB15. Or are there any better options for europeans? I hear Crack is good but honestly it looks atrocious.

I really want an Audio GD NFB-15 but I don't want to wait for it to come from overseas. I will have my 700's tomorrow or Thursday and I would like a dac/amp ASAP as I have nothing to plug this headphone into until then. Oh the decisions. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #2,624 of 9,298
Maybe some EQ

Dont worry you will luv them!!! just dont get greedy and blast your eardrums. you will hear the base the way it was created from the studio. if you want more just use equalizer.

Yea, I'm not trying to be a Debby downer, but I just don't want you to be so shocked. Just don't expect a dark headphone 
biggrin.gif

Has there been any big mod efforts? I saw someone tried a few HD800 mods on these some time ago, but can't find much new.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #2,625 of 9,298
Wow, just put back on the M50's to see what they are like after two entire days of HD700 listening. At first when I used the HD700 I had trouble telling the difference. Though I was determined to push through any doubts. It paid off!

With the HD700, I wasn't really picking up the soundstage. This may be because of my average sound card. Though maybe I was thinking of soundstage a bit wrong. I was under the impression that the sound would seem to come from around me. While it doesn't seem like the sound comes from inside my head, it still seems to come from just around my ear, barely. This might be something I have to get used to, or just need a better setup to notice it more.

However (this may be more of what people mean by soundstage?) when I went back to the M50 everything sounded flat. Not like a neutral flat, but completely lacking depth. All the sounds it was capable of producing were all mashed together. Instrument sounds may come from different directions, but none felt like they were further back or forward from each other. The HD700, while the sound still felt like it came from right around my ears, has a sense that everything is masterfully layered in their correct places. Even if those places were much further back. I felt like it was easier to experience the soundstage if I closed my eyes.

Sounds that felt uninteresting and weak on the M50, now seem to have a body to them with the HD700. It's as if these sounds that used to be paper thin, have a more tangible quality to them. I would call it realism in the sound. If I listen to Pink Floyd on my M50 it sounds great, but it sounds like I'm listening to sounds. The HD700 feels like I'm in the recording studio listening to it live as it was recorded. When the guitar starts in the song Wish You Were Here, it seems like it's being performed right in front of my face. Again like I stated before, the soundstage here doesn't seem large, but it feels real, like he's standing right in front of me singing to my face.

The rapid speed/decay (Is this the right term?) of sounds was not something I was familiar with before. Though on the song Clouds Cross Skies (Urbandawn Remix) - Fred V & Grafix when the drums are hit at 23 seconds in, you can understand how fast this hits compared to the M50. On the HD700 it's like you can hear the clear separation between each drum hit. If you haven't checked them out, and you like non-vocal electronic music that has a very "happy" kind of theme to it, I'd highly recommend them. Especially their song Denmark Road. Nothing lightens up my day like that song.

I can see now why people recommend well mastered tracks. Lots of my music can sound incredible if it's made well, while others sound like I'm still using my M50, even with the HD700. Perhaps the quality isn't bad, but it's just how it was recorded. For instance, I find Outro by M83 sounds pretty similar to my M50, and doesn't boast that excellent mastering some music does. I am however still using Google Play Music All Access (320kbps). I'll probably give TIDAL a try eventually.

Here's to hoping the Schiit Fulla will bring out even more of the excellence the HD700 has, and hopefully not make the bright treble worse, not exactly a fan of EQ'ing.

I still feel that I want an HD800 though, and I definitely have the means to get one soon. I'm confident after the next 3-4 months I'll be running with an HD800/Modi 2 Uber/Valhalla 2. Also, once I get home from work I will try out your EQ software. If that definitely fixes the treble spikes, I will have no intention of leaving the HD700 behind.

One more thing I'd like to add. Even with the volume on high, these don't seem to leak a lot of sound. I expected it to be a lot worse. I was worried at night the sound would be loud enough to go through my paper thin doors and bother everyone. This isn't the case.

EDIT: Alright, got home and installed the EQ software. Works perfectly, thank you! Had a bit of an issue with things sounding muffled, but that fixed itself when I re-arranged the sliders to have the 6k near the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back