Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,643 of 9,326
Just to post my own un-asked-for mental meanderings on "Night and Day Difference!"

Obviously many people say that coming from an emotional place... The same place where they might say "it's like a lightbulb turned on, Eurika!" and it sinks in that they are hearing hi-fi music rather than hearing it diluted by the equipment. If music is important to the person and they... just... NEED to express the feeling that it's the same song but hearing it this way wakes up something inside, then I feel it's appropriate and fun to read them trying to express what's causing that huge grin. Audio should be magical and fun!

From a more metaphorical/logical reason why "Night and Day" might be appropriate, picture your front yard in the night and day. At night, there's still all the same grass and trees and road and poles, all the different instruments that make up your landscape. And usually there will be some moonlight and maybe a streetlight and some neighbor's lights, so it's not like you can't see, but perhaps some things are in the spotlight. I've had audio setups where I didn't feel a lacking of details, but definitely parts of it in the spotlight. Nighttime is also pretty subdued, most people and animals sleeping and the feeling that time is frozen. In the daytime, now your whole landscape is lit up, you can more easily make out the dimension and little details of it all. Typically sunlight also makes us feel more awake and alert, and clinically proven to elate your mood. Daytime is also when you're more likely to see people and animals active, there's more movement and change that happens during the day.

So, beyond just hyperbole and a bit of a cliché, "Night and Day" is also a very fitting metaphor. So go ahead and set the stage, but after that please go into more detail and share what's making you smile... from ear to ear!

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #2,646 of 9,326
I got the HD700 + WA7. NO RAGRETS!! Absolutely love this combo.

That's IT!
I'm gonna hook up my tube amp (uses 6DJ8 tubes as well, but just one) to my X7, check out my fun times playing CoD tonight (overkill for the overkill score!!!).

RAAAAAAAW!!!

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #2,648 of 9,326
  I purchased my HD 700's today and even though I am currently only hooking them up to my Realtek 1150 audio they sound very good. I love the bass response on these headphones, not nearly as impact as my m-100's (obviously) but they are very very good in there own right. I am noticing the treble spike that everyone speaks about but it is not really bothering me and I've already EQ'd it out with recommendations from this post.

I know that I am probably only getting 50% of what this headphone is capable of as it is not hooked into a very good source and I am already happy with my purchase (New Under $400 USD). Now I need some help on what dac/amp to get without breaking the bank under $300 USD. I want the combo to not any more to that treble spike and possibly warm the headphone up slightly without sacrificing sound stage and obviously no matter what it will be clearer then my on-board. Using this for Gaming, Hip-Hop, EDM, Rock, Pop. 

Vote now:

-Aune T1 MK2 

-Vali/Modi 

-JDSLABS Objective2 + ODAC

-Fiio E10k

-Other (Name it)

Sound is fantastic from the HD800 and HD700 on this combo. Takes off the edge of the HD800, makes the HD700 sound more rich and natural.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #2,649 of 9,326
Any song suggestions where these cans shine? I'm having hard time hearing differences between this and 100 euro wireless headset. Sure there is slightly more depth (soundstage?) and detail but I'm bit disappointed at this point. Coming from closed headphones keyboard clicking is annoying as these don't muffle it at all. These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn though.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #2,650 of 9,326

You will hear the clicks with every open headphone, else it is not open. For you the Bose QC25 would be the better choice. You will not even hear your worst enemy coming from behind knifing you, that's for sure. So if you want an open can, you will still be aware of your surroundings.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,651 of 9,326
Any song suggestions where these cans shine?

Well I like alt rock and stuff like that, but I'd recommend "The Only Hand to Hold" by Prefuse 73, pretty much the whole "Random Access Memories" album by Daft Punk, "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" and "Nude" by Radiohead, "I Can Fly" by Miss / Mister. Just to name a few... Usually you notice better with songs you know well, sometimes it takes your brain a few listens to learn how each headphone might handle things, and then switch to the other headphone.

I agree with Pietux, open headphones mean they don't block external noise at all. If you can get used to hearing yourself type while using speakers, you can get used to the same with open headphones.

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #2,652 of 9,326
Are you deaf or something lol. The new D'Angelo album sounds amazing. Try that. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #2,653 of 9,326
  Any song suggestions where these cans shine? I'm having hard time hearing differences between this and 100 euro wireless headset. Sure there is slightly more depth (soundstage?) and detail but I'm bit disappointed at this point. Coming from closed headphones keyboard clicking is annoying as these don't muffle it at all. These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn though.

Hi Lancer

Given the music, source and amplification many may… or may not… benefit from higher end phones…IMHO most headphones over the last twenty years or so do a fairly decent job of conveying the music.
Just remember that with audio as with many things in life we’re dealing with the “law of diminishing returns” but as you’ve noted there does appears to be more soundstage depth and detail with your HD700s…as they say the “devils in the details”..is it worth the extra expenditure.. only you can say.
 And why are you typing when you should be laying back enjoying the music.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #2,655 of 9,326
That's IT!
I'm gonna hook up my tube amp (uses 6DJ8 tubes as well, but just one) to my X7, check out my fun times playing CoD tonight (overkill for the overkill score!!!).

RAAAAAAAW!!!

Yeh I was thinking about gaming with my setup as well. I was on AKG Q701, but I think I found a new favorite. Movies are quite nice on this setup as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back