Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,656 of 9,327
Any song suggestions where these cans shine? I'm having hard time hearing differences between this and 100 euro wireless headset. Sure there is slightly more depth (soundstage?) and detail but I'm bit disappointed at this point. Coming from closed headphones keyboard clicking is annoying as these don't muffle it at all. These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn though.

I think you will either hear the difference depending on your equipment and sound source files. With your current setup, if you can't hear the difference but still satisfied with the music, it might not be worth the upgrade.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #2,657 of 9,327
Going to be pulling the trigger on the WA7 for these bad boys? Good idea?? :D 

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2,658 of 9,327
  God dammit

WA7 $999. Might stretch for that. How much does it cost delivered to Europe? 1100€
Oppo HA-1 $1199. In Europe? 1499€

Honestly at this point I'm just thinking about getting Audio GD NFB15. Or are there any better options for europeans? I hear Crack is good but honestly it looks atrocious.

+1 on the WA7. Pairs beautifully with the HD700. HA-1 I heard is quite bright which won't pair as well with the HD700 in particular.

Going to be pulling the trigger on the WA7 for these bad boys? Good idea?? :D 

Do it. You're gonna love it! Are you getting the TP version as well?

dL

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,659 of 9,327

+1 on the WA7. Pairs beautifully with the HD700. HA-1 I heard is quite bright which won't pair as well with the HD700 in particular.

Do it. You're gonna love it! Are you getting the TP version as well?

dL

I was not aware of the TP version! I might have to check it out then. Is there much difference really?

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #2,660 of 9,327
  I was not aware of the TP version! I might have to check it out then. Is there much difference really?

According to the people on this thread, yes: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715375/woo-audio-wa7tp-tube-power-supply-impressions-thread 

I went all-in with the TP and the upgraded tube and it's absolutely amazing, but I can't comment on how it sounded without the TP. Make sure you invest in a good power cable to complete the package. I was never a believer until I got one.

dL

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #2,662 of 9,327
It's just sounds weird after using closed headphones for years. Brain tells me I'm wearing headphones yet I hear everything like I'm not wearing headphones. Openness isn't my main gripe about these. I was waiting for night and day difference in sound quality. Sure it'll improve when I get more listening time and then return to my old headphones. Going from 100 euro speakers to 500 euro speakers is huge difference. Even room acoustics make huge difference.

I'm currently listening FLAC files and the headphones are in my av receiver's headphone jack. I know that AV receiver headphone jack sucks but currently I don't have other options until my amp arrives.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2,663 of 9,327
So some interesting observations lately with the HD700 and the Schiit Fulla.

I was really bummed that I didn't hear much in differences between the Fulla and my on-board sound. Though this was actually because of hooking it up incorrectly I guess. My PC is a bit away from me, and I wanted to have it closer. So I hooked it up to my monitor instead of the computer. It worked, however didn't sound much different, if at all from the on-board sound. I was curious, and decided to move it to the computer. All of a sudden the sound hit me. So many details just exploded out of the music I have never heard before. These tiny details that I never knew existed were now loud and vibrant! On a side note, the treble seems to be much sharper now, so much sharper in fact the "SSS" sounds almost don't seem as bad any more. Like if they have the detail in them, it doesn't feel painful.

I have no idea why different USB ports would cause that, but it feels like I just got the HD700 today and am experiencing it for the first time! My only guess would be the monitor's power via USB was too limited or something.

Also the Fulla seems to act strangely with other devices in the house. Sometimes when someone turns on a vacuum cleaner, or I turn on/off a heater it may turn off then back on. I read a while ago someone had this happen with his refrigerator. It doesn't affect the device besides having the sound go out for a moment.

I'm glad I can finally hear the potential of the HD700, as I was starting to have my doubts about all this headphone stuff.

EDIT: An example I just found was in the song Teardrop from Massive Attack. Throughout the song there seems to be this vinyl-sounding distortion in the background. Did not hear this as loud and clear before. It's so apparent now it's almost distracting.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #2,668 of 9,327

Got mine today. Running it fro my Fiio E12A right now. Very nice first impressions.... Ipod Classic 120 GB Apple lossless > E12A> HD700. Treble is much better than what I was afraid of. In fact it did not bother me till now.
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2,669 of 9,327
So I plugged this hd700 into the standard pulse and even after eq I was underwhelmed. These have the Anax mod and I didn't know it. I tried to eq the bass to thump and failed. Then! I plugged it into my affordable pioneer sa-6500 and viola. Even with the mod and the treble knob all the way down on these things there are still harsh moments. What the freak?! But otherwise they sound great and the bass is lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back