Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,456 of 9,298
  Really? To me, it was so blatantly bad when compared to the Lyr. What about the A2 did you like with the HD 700?

I'll tell you why I liked the A2. The main complaints heard about the HD700 is: a) some harsh highs b) lacking bass. I tend to agree with that...with the wrong equipment. When I first got the HD700s I picked them up at the post office on my way to work, so I only had my X3, and E12 in my car. I tried the HD700s on both of them and thought they sounded awful: highs were extremely harsh, and the bass and overall sound was just very thin. When I got to my office, I plugged them into my E9, and they sounded a little better, but I was still feeling big time let down by the 700s.

I go home and try them on the Oppo 105's direct headphone jack, and they sounded good, but not worth their price. Now keep in mind, I've used the HD650s on all these devices and they have always sounded fine. In fact, I had used the HD650+E9+"whatever source I preferred" combo for over 2 years, with really no complaints, and completely loving it. The HD700s just did not sound great on any of these devices. FInally, I saved the best for last and I plug them into the A2. Now things were beginning to get better: the highs were starting to get tamed, and the the overall sound was starting to fill out, after a few more weeks of break in and use with the A2, the headphones were really starting to shine. When I added the UberBifrost to the mix, it was over: the cans were truly spectacular.

I don't know how how the HD700s perform with the Lyr+Uberfrost, they might well be better, but I do know that for me the HD700s didn't start to shine until they got to the A2. I have no first hand experiance with the Lyr, but from what I've read on Head-Fi, the A2 is actually the 'warmest' of the 3 mid-level Schiit amps, and that is exactly what (I think) the HD700s need: a warm amp to tame the highs and fill in the sound and give the bass a little more thump. Of course, the idea that the A2 is warmer than the Lyr is purely hearsay for me, and you would know better than me about that since you've had first hand experience with both amps and the HD700

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,457 of 9,298
  I'll tell you why I liked the A2. The main complaints heard about the HD700 is: a) some harsh highs b) lacking bass. I tend to agree with that...with the wrong equipment. When I first got the HD700s I picked them up at the post office on my way to work, so I only had my X3, and E12 in my car. I tried the HD700s on both of them and thought they sounded awful: highs were extremely harsh, and the bass and overall sound was just very thin. When I got to my office, I plugged them into my E9, and they sounded a little better, but I was still feeling big time let down by the 700s.

I go home and try them on the Oppo 105's direct headphone jack, and they sounded good, but not worth their price. Now keep in mind, I've used the HD650s on all these devices and they have always sounded fine. In fact, I had used the HD650+E9+"whatever source I preferred" combo for over 2 years, with really no complaints, and completely loving it. The HD700s just did not sound great on any of these devices. FInally, I saved the best for last and I plug them into the A2. Now things were beginning to get better: the highs were starting to get tamed, and the the overall sound was starting to fill out, after a few more weeks of break in and use with the A2, the headphones were really starting to shine. When I added the UberBifrost to the mix, it was over: the cans were truly spectacular.

I don't know how how the HD700s perform with the Lyr+Uberfrost, they might well be better, but I do know that for me the HD700s didn't start to shine until they got to the A2. I have no first hand experiance with the Lyr, but from what I've read on Head-Fi, the A2 is actually the 'warmest' of the 3 mid-level Schiit amps, and that is exactly what (I think) the HD700s need: a warm amp to tame the highs and fill in the sound and give the bass a little more thump. Of course, the idea that the A2 is warmer than the Lyr is purely hearsay for me, and you would know better than me about that since you've had first hand experience with both amps and the HD700

The true is the Lyr is the 'warmest' and A2 is the 'brightest' of the three mid-level Schiit amps. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,458 of 9,298
HD700 brilliantly paired with TEAC UD-501's own amp. The best sound of HD700 I've ever heard. DSD and hi-res content.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,459 of 9,298
Hi guys. I just picked these up.

I'm looking in to buying a custom cable and I was wondering if I should go with OCC Copper, Silver Plated OCC copper, or silver.

The reason why I ask is because on certain headphones like Ultrasone Pro 900, I personally like silver plated OCC copper better than OCC Copper or silver, in terms of sound. I suppose for some headphones it depends.

I listen to EDM on my Pro 900 which has strong bass. The HD700 will be used for positional audio ("imaging") in FPS games as well as some vocal/bassy music.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,460 of 9,298
  Hi guys. I just picked these up.

I'm looking in to buying a custom cable and I was wondering if I should go with OCC Copper, Silver Plated OCC copper, or silver.

The reason why I ask is because on certain headphones like Ultrasone Pro 900, I personally like silver plated OCC copper better than OCC Copper or silver, in terms of sound. I suppose for some headphones it depends.

I listen to EDM on my Pro 900 which has strong bass. The HD700 will be used for positional audio ("imaging") in FPS games as well as some vocal/bassy music.

I would go for OCC Copper for the HD700.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,463 of 9,298
Anyone know of any good dac and amp combo in one box for these headphones? Also is it possible to buy new pads somewhere?

Probably WA7 or HDVD800 but I recommend against amp/DAC combos. Usually one component is weaker (the DAC in the case of both those two I mentioned are $200 DACs) than the other and you end up upgrading one and part of the combo is unused and not sellable.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,464 of 9,298
Anyone know of any good dac and amp combo in one box for these headphones? Also is it possible to buy new pads somewhere?

What's your budget?

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,465 of 9,298

I would go with O2+Odac any day. I also very much like Musical Fidelity's M1HPAP which unfortunately costs a lot more. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,466 of 9,298
Question for everyone. The guys in the HD 800 thread are raving about the Matrix M-stage as a great entry level integrated amp/DAC that pairs extremely well with the HD 800. There's a line of thinking out there that what pairs well with the HD 800 pairs well with the HD700. What are people's thoughts on the Matrix M-stage for the HD 700?

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,467 of 9,298
What's your budget?

Around 600dollar maybe? Also if you have good suggestions for standalone dac and amp, feel free to suggest them, only reason i mentioned a all in one box is because i wanted to keep it as clean as possible, less boxes on the table :p

Edit: Am from Norway btw, so i guess i would have to order from other countries as there isn't a big selection of amps/dacs here in stores. And that O2+ODAC does look nice i must say, doesn't look to be big either.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,468 of 9,298
  Question for everyone. The guys in the HD 800 thread are raving about the Matrix M-stage as a great entry level integrated amp/DAC that pairs extremely well with the HD 800. There's a line of thinking out there that what pairs well with the HD 800 pairs well with the HD700. What are people's thoughts on the Matrix M-stage for the HD 700?

I heard the M-stage/HD700 pair but "I" preferred the Lyr over M-stage for the HD700. To me the M-stage was at the same level of the Asgard 2 for the HD700.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,469 of 9,298

I heard the M-stage/HD700 pair but "I" preferred the Lyr over M-stage for the HD700. To me the M-stage was at the same level of the Asgard 2 for the HD700.

And just for understanding some context, do you like the A2 and HD 700 pairing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back