Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,426 of 9,326
  I love it when Anteaters find each other! The HD700s are definitely worth it at the right price. Whether or not they are better than the HD650s, they are definitely different. The HD650s are my oldest headphones, and I have bought a descent amount since first getting the HD650s, nothing ever really made me doubt where the HD650s stood...until the HD700s the the right equipment showed up!

Hahahah! Wasnt hard to miss a BruinAnteater lol
  I absolutely still love my HD650s. Let me put it in this perspective: At their MSRP of $1000, the HD700s, I feel are a bit overpriced, but at $650, they are priced correctly and I wouldn't mind buying these again. By comparison, I think that at the MSRP of $500, the HD650s are priced correctly, but at $360, which is what I got them for originally, they are a steal and cannot be beat by anything near that price.

I still love my HD650s and would never consider selling them, and I would still prefer them over the 700s for certain genres of music, but now I feel like the HD700s are the better overall headphone. Which they should be, since they cost so much more than the 650s, still the 650s are a much better bargain than the 700s.

I pretty much agree with everything you said here.  I can actually get the HD700 new for under what you feel they are priced correctly at so I may do it next month.  I keep waffling between new computer speakers, a vinyl player, the HD700, or a new IEM.  Last night new speakers were winning, this morning HD700 has made a comeback.  Even if the HD700 is awesome, I wont be selling my HD650.  I still have a feeling, from what I have read, that the HD650 will still be my preferred headphone. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,427 of 9,326
I really need to hear and purchase an HD 650. Considering how much I've loved the HD 600 and HD 700, it just makes sense to own one.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,428 of 9,326
It's funny because a few years ago, the K701, DT880, and HD650 were all mostly spoken about in the same sentence - they were the "Big Three" of mid-fi. Guess which one only went up in price...

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,431 of 9,326
  That's because the HD650s are different. I love my HD650 even after having the HD800 and Beyer T1.  

They are. I actually had the HD800 and T1 as well and went back to the HD650.  Partly due to finances but I tend to prefer to have 1 headphone at a time as I really dont have time to be using more and the hd650 is the one I picked.  Another reason I am looking to upgrade speakers before adding another headphone.  

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,432 of 9,326
I really need to hear and purchase an HD 650. Considering how much I've loved the HD 600 and HD 700, it just makes sense to own one.

I have always preferred the HD600 over the HD650. It is matter of preference but I have sold them both after buying the HD800 and I do not miss them at all. The HD800 rules to me.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,433 of 9,326
  I still love my HD650s and would never consider selling them, and I would still prefer them over the 700s for certain genres of music, but now I feel like the HD700s are the better overall headphone. Which they should be, since they cost so much more than the 650s, still the 650s are a much better bargain than the 700s.

Sennheiser with the HD700s appear to have given more consideration to whole baffle/enclosure with the incorporation of the new driver, maybe not as radical as the HD800s but still enough to differentiate it's overall presentation to that of the HD600 series, and in my opinion a step forward. But the 600s have continued to maintain there place and it’ll be interesting to see where the 700s stand a few years from now

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,434 of 9,326
Hello! New HD700 owner here and I need some advice. Im currently using my senns through Fiio E10, but I want to upgrade dac/amp. I have two setups in mind...

1) Schiit Modi/Asgard2 - about 600$ (incl. shipping + customs)
2) ODAC/Bottlehead Crack with speedball - about 800$ (incl. shipping+customs)

Max I can spend is 800$ (then of course I have to eat instant noodles for two months :D). 

I have heard that Crack pairs very well with senns, but is crack/odac combo 200$ better than schiiit?
Please share your opinions and findings :) 

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,435 of 9,326
  Hello! New HD700 owner here and I need some advice. Im currently using my senns through Fiio E10, but I want to upgrade dac/amp. I have two setups in mind...

Max I can spend is 800$ (then of course I have to eat instant noodles for two months :D). 

I have heard that Crack pairs very well with senns, but is crack/odac combo 200$ better than schiiit?

Hello Klots. I can give you some direction on your first option. Other than the fact that it's not upgradable and the specs aren't anything to run home about, the Schiit Modi will do just fine as a DAC. The Asgard2, on the other hand, does not pair very well with the HD 700 at all. In my opinion, it makes it sound far too bright and introduces some small levels of distortion. Not a desirable pairing at all for my ears. If you want to keep with Schiit, I have had amazing results with the Lyr. Seems like a good budget favorite for the HD 700 around here, as well. You can get that and the Modi for $550 ($450 + $100, not including shipping or customs) and you'd be good for a while. In time, as you save money through your instant noodles purchase, you can replace the Modi with a Bifrost Uber which is a worth-wild upgrade.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,436 of 9,326
  Quote:
  Hello Klots. I can give you some direction on your first option. Other than the fact that it's not upgradable and the specs aren't anything to run home about, the Schiit Modi will do just fine as a DAC. The Asgard2, on the other hand, does not pair very well with the HD 700 at all. In my opinion, it makes it sound far too bright and introduces some small levels of distortion. Not a desirable pairing at all, in my opinion. If you want to keep with Schiit, I have had amazing results with the Lyr. Seems like a good budget favorite for the HD 700 around here, as well. You can get than and the Modi for $550 ($450 + $100, not including shipping or customs) and you'd be good for a while. In time, as you save money through your instant noodles purchase, you can replace the Modi with a Bifrost Uber which is a worth-wild upgrade.

How come no one talks about the Valhalla? Also a tube amp, and is supposed to be warm and tubey sounding. That said, I have no experience with Asgard2, Valhalla, or Lyr.

Also, Speedball isn't required to sound good for the Crack. The $275 you spend on the stock Crack is obviously better per dollar than the $125 on the Speedball. Also, idk how customs work or if there's an amount where they don't charge custom fees if valued less than, but if there is, you might be able to avoid custom fees if the parts fall below that amount. I'd say Modi and stock Crack is a great economical option.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,437 of 9,326

How come no one talks about the Valhalla? Also a tube amp, and is supposed to be warm and tubey sounding. That said, I have no experience with Asgard2, Valhalla, or Lyr.

That is a really good question. I think it's because no one has any real experience with it here (at least, I have read very little about it being paired with an HD 700). I'm guessing because they are priced so close together, it's easy to say, "Well I'll just go bigger for only $100 more." I do, however, remember reading somewhere that Schiit themselves recommend the Valhalla over the Lyr with the HD 700.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,438 of 9,326
  That is a really good question. I think it's because no one has any real experience with it here (at least, I have read very little about it being paired with an HD 700). I'm guessing because they are priced so close together, it's easy to say, "Well I'll just go bigger for only $100 more." I do, however, remember reading somewhere that Schiit themselves recommend the Valhalla over the Lyr with the HD 700.

I have heard my HD600 and 650 on the Valhalla and they both sound real good over that amp, I would think the 700's would too.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,439 of 9,326
The Valhalla is a fine amp, but I'd never describe it as warm.  The v.1 was bright if anything.  V.2 can be made neutral and slightly warm of neutral with certain tubes, but overall it's just a linear and neutral amp.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,440 of 9,326

Also, Speedball isn't required to sound good for the Crack. The $275 you spend on the stock Crack is obviously better per dollar than the $125 on the Speedball. Also, idk how customs work or if there's an amount where they don't charge custom fees if valued less than, but if there is, you might be able to avoid custom fees if the parts fall below that amount. I'd say Modi and stock Crack is a great economical option.

Customs in Estonia work like this. When the price is over ~30$ I have to pay 20% VAT (from item price + shipping). So, when crack is 279$ and shipping is 72$ it makes 350$ total. Now we add 20% and that makes 420$ total. When the item price is over 200$ they also might add customs tax, depending on what item it is. But I think that it should be 0%, because they are just electronic parts and not a complete unit. Also the 12$ for paperwork in customs.

Now the Modi. When I purchase just the Modi the shipping is still ~80$. So the Modi will cost to me 180$ + 20% VAT = 204$ (+12$ for paperwork).

Usually everything I would like to order comes from US, so customs are happy to take my money I guess
biggrin.gif

650$ for Modi/Crack. Yesterday I thought that the total sum was larger
biggrin.gif
But for 50$ more than modi/A2 combo, I think it is worth it.

Just in case.What to think about HRT Music Streamer II (not the plus edition)? I can have that in Estonia for the same price as Modi.

Thanks everyone who answered
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back