Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #1,021 of 9,320
Yeah, in looking at the two, I think I would be more interested in the NFB-11.32 over the Compass 2 simply because desk space is a premium at this point. It's probably something I should have called out when I was listing specification originally. $340 is a very reasonable price and the reviews look very good. We are thinking it plays well with the HD 700 then?

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,023 of 9,320
  I think this is what the kids call trolling. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Now back to my topic you jerks! We all good with me ordering an amp/dac for the HD 700 in the form of the Audio-GD NFB-11.32? Anything else I should be looking at within this price range?

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on good pairings to DACs & Amps as well.

Additionally, portable DACs and Amps that don't need to be plugged in (battery powered, and/or USB powered).

I have an HRT MicroStreamer and a FiiO E12. I like it, but it is also pretty much all I've known. I've never heard any other amp, so my liking this is with no comparison to, well, anything except straight from phone/computer onboard jacks.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,024 of 9,320
  I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on good pairings to DACs & Amps as well.

Additionally, portable DACs and Amps that don't need to be plugged in (battery powered, and/or USB powered).

I have an HRT MicroStreamer and a FiiO E12. I like it, but it is also pretty much all I've known. I've never heard any other amp, so my liking this is with no comparison to, well, anything except straight from phone/computer onboard jacks.

The E12 isn't a bad SS amp for the HD700, especially with the bass boost.   

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,025 of 9,320
I am happy to agree that the HD-700 is not perfect, and yet still convinced no other headphone under 1k will make me happier at the moment, though I have always been interested in trying the HE-500 and now even more interested in both the new HE-560 and the forthcoming PM-1.

Bestbuy.com has the HD-700 currently at $849 and I am guessing that is the new MSRP for these headphones going forward.  Not sure how much pressure, if any, that Sennheiser puts upon their dealers to hold at certain advertised price points and if that pressure changes over time, but I guess time will tell.  Looks like the HD-800 is holding firm at $1499 also.

Also, I spent years with the Q701 before moving up to the HD-700, and "lifeless" is the second to last word I would ever use to describe the sound, "unlistenable" being the absolute last word.  I agree they can sound a bit hot in the treble in some situations, but much less so than the Q701.  The HD-700 does lack any appreciable sense of sweetness or a lush midrange sound for me, but I am just using a Dragonfly for now and perhaps that may change a little bit when I am ready to move up to a serious amp.  I can't remember where I saw this, but some poster/reviewer commented that they thought Sennheiser may have been a bit inspired by the Grado sound, the sense of immediacy and liveliness that Grado fans are always talking about, and that shows up a bit when you compare HD-700 to HD-650.  I have no doubts that the HD-700 are technically superior to HD-650, maybe not as pleasant in some situations, but definitely better detail, stage, pace, timbre, transparency... IMHO.  I think vocals sound fluid and textured, but maybe not quite as breathy and airy as some might prefer.  I like the balance, I think the HD-700 has a sound signature that is essentially both feet firmly planted in the ground, not exactly neutral, but not playing games by being euphonic either, I think it just has it's own way of getting you a bit closer to the microphone in the studio if you will.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,026 of 9,320
I fully agree with the above.

For me the HD700 at 500 euros was a real bargain. During the burn in (it had about 50 hours now) I didn't really want to make a final judgement but it has really settled nicely.

Im pairing it with a hotrodded Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 and a DIY DDDAC1794 dac. Great synergie.

Perhaps my combo doesn't have engough bite to enjoy metal fully but I like it that way. No listening fatigue what so ever.

I also own a HD650 and a K701 as a reference.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,027 of 9,320
i got mine for just over 500 euros 
smily_headphones1.gif
 while it was on sale on Christmas here in Germany.
I'm really happy with it although i dont listen to any classic or acoustic  (which are obvious strengths) it still shines. Most comfy HP i ever bought. I have not burned it in though just kept listening (around 15-20hours in 3-4 days).
Any advice if i can still burn it in and if yes what should i let it listen to ? Just my normal music ?

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,028 of 9,320
Alright, so I think the Compass 2 may be the front runner in its default form for my amp and DAC. Any others I should be looking at?

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,030 of 9,320
Guy's, I've deleted a page of non-appreciation of the HD700s. Like the Posting Guidelines state, please do NOT reply to thread-craps or trolling (or spam or anything else that would be delete-worthy). 
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,032 of 9,320
Hi, can the cable be terminated with 4 pin Xlr? Thanks.

Yes

I was thinking of doing mine or using this one which  is found for a around $40.00 on ebay.

If the stock HD700 cable is anything like their other cables the individual strands may need to have a coating removed before soldering.
The 3rd party cable may be easier to work with, just a thought.

Not the HD700 but the HD800 as an example
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-appreciation-thread/6840#post_10057020
  Yes. I have done this very thing with my stock cable.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #1,033 of 9,320
I've decided I could care less about the need for preouts. Does this open any doors with my updated specifications?

1. Total budget of $300-500. This is not a hard number. If I can be convinced to go higher, I will as long as it meets my needs. Just no $1000 solutions. I just don't the money for that right now.
  2. Will be running the HD 700 off of my home computer.
  3. Currently have a Fiio E09K and E07K that is running my HD 600, HE-400, and K702 AE on that home computer.
  4. Would like to have preouts since I use an external 2.1 system on this station from time to time, but it's not entirely needed. I could simply unplug the USB cable to the DAC every time I want to use the 2.1 system, but I would like a more elegant solution.
  5. Not looking to change the signature very much. Just power it properly. Close to neutral, detailed, and spacious have always been my preferences.
  6. 6.3mm input
  7. Flexibility is more important than something so incredibly specific to the HD 700. I would like to still run my HD 600, HE-400 (and eventual HE-500 or HE-560), K702 AE and others on it without too much fuss. I don't imagine using IEM or other low impedance headphones with my home station.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,034 of 9,320
  i got mine for just over 500 euros 
smily_headphones1.gif
 while it was on sale on Christmas here in Germany.
I'm really happy with it although i dont listen to any classic or acoustic  (which are obvious strengths) it still shines. Most comfy HP i ever bought. I have not burned it in though just kept listening (around 15-20hours in 3-4 days).
Any advice if i can still burn it in and if yes what should i let it listen to ? Just my normal music ?

I think there was a typo yesterday. It said 300 euros. I was like...
frown.gif
 oh no. My 500 wasn't a bargain after all. I'm glad you made a mistake 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, there isn't a magic burn in ritual IMHO. Just play a lot of music through it, any music. If you like schlager... be my guest.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,035 of 9,320
I think there was a typo yesterday. It said 300 euros. I was like...:frowning2:  oh no. My 500 wasn't a bargain after all. I'm glad you made a mistake :D .

Anyway, there isn't a magic burn in ritual IMHO. Just play a lot of music through it, any music. If you like schlager... be my guest.

lol are you sure it was a typo? I got mine for 370 euro, so 300 is still possible :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back