Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #992 of 9,320
From time to time, the Brainwavz's price drops to $19. I got two with that offer (second time I saw it). I'm waiting for another drop to get two more.

I'd rather deal with dust than having my earpads compressed that much more.

In fact, the stand didn't compress the pads much. It would be nice if it would help lessen the pads a bit to improve comfort, specially for the Q's, but they don't...

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #993 of 9,320
  +1 .................................................... because the way you can't vertically close together the two cups, allowing dust to fall in.

Good observation and here I thought it was the dirt I was shaking out of my ears!!!
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #995 of 9,320
Are those your pictures with the hd700 and fiio e18? Care to share your thoughts? My current mobile setup (and home setup ha) is microstreamer to fiio e12. Always considering other options.

Yeah, no problem. I got the HD700 very recently. Still evaluating, but I'm building a O2 during the evening today, so at some point this week a will give an update with my thoughts.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #996 of 9,320
Since I bought a simple Fiio HS2, I'm now able to test & compare few stuff I own easily using my HD700.
I can tell you that difference between HRT MS alone vs. HRT MS+O2 vs & Concero+O2 is fairly small, it exists but honnestly it is very small
I guess I don't have those "golden ears" like the vast majority of people here, or HD700 is not responding to the source or HRT has done something REALLY good, or everything in the same time

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #997 of 9,320
  Since I bought a simple Fiio HS2, I'm now able to test & compare few stuff I own easily using my HD700.
I can tell you that difference between HRT MS alone vs. HRT MS+O2 vs & Concero+O2 is fairly small, it exists but honnestly it is very small
I guess I don't have those "golden ears" like the vast majority of people here, or HD700 is not responding to the source or HRT has done something REALLY good, or everything in the same time

That is usually what I find with some of my equipment. I didn't try it yet but I bet the difference between the O2+ODAC and the Fiio E18 is just gonna be a little bit of warmth in the second one. I've honestly found the E18 to be a great improvement over E17 and E07K, with which I was able to find more differences, specially in the bass department.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #998 of 9,320

That is usually what I find with some of my equipment. I didn't try it yet but I bet the difference between the O2+ODAC and the Fiio E18 is just gonna be a little bit of warmth in the second one. I've honestly found the E18 to be a great improvement over E17 and E07K, with which I was able to find more differences, specially in the bass department.

Wait until you hear these headphones with a nice class A solid state or tube amp....you'll be blown away 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,000 of 9,320
Anyone else here also happen to have some AKG 700 series with the bass port mod for comparisons with the HD700s.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod/45#post_10141105

Just did this mod, the comparisons are interesting.
Quote:

Not having another stock K701 on hand I of course had to rush out and get my HD700s for comparison.
Direct comparison obviously showed the differences in tonal characteristic of each manufacturer but after a few minutes either phone was happy on my ears, the Senn HD700 still had the better linear sound stage but the differences were not as great as before, the mod added a bit more body to the AKGs midrange.
Lower bass was also much more in line, where previously the K701s could be slightly disappointing with some music.    
Any definite comment requires long term listening and the ideal would be to have an unmodded on K701 hand, but so far I like what I’m hearing.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #1,001 of 9,320
As good of a deal the o2 may be as a budget amp, it is definitely not a high end amp. Not sure what you're thinking pairing a 1000 dollar headphone with a 130 dollar amp. JMHO.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,003 of 9,320
Yep, I personally don't like the synergy of the O2 with the HD700. 

As good of a deal the o2 may be as a budget amp, it is definitely not a high end amp. Not sure what you're thinking pairing a 1000 dollar headphone with a 130 dollar amp. JMHO.

I don't really care about the synergy. The O2 is a powerful and transparent amp, and that's all I need. I might try in the future some tube amps but honestly, I doubt I need anything else as a solid state. Thank you anyways, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #1,004 of 9,320
The O2 was my first amp for the HD700 and it worked fine. I later upgraded to WA7 and sure it was noticeably better especially with the upgrade tubes. But really it's not as big a difference as a different pair of headphones. For the $2000 I spent on HD700 and WA7, I could get much better sound for even cheaper, such as my current HD800, Quickie, and Crack setup. Or my HE-500, Quickie, Emotiva setup for about half the price. Remember go headphones first, then amp, then DAC, then power and cables. The difference between the headphone and amp there is by far the largest difference.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,005 of 9,320
The O2 was my first amp for the HD700 and it worked fine. I later upgraded to WA7 and sure it was noticeably better especially with the upgrade tubes. But really it's not as big a difference as a different pair of headphones. For the $2000 I spent on HD700 and WA7, I could get much better sound for even cheaper, such as my current HD800, Quickie, and Crack setup. Or my HE-500, Quickie, Emotiva setup for about half the price. Remember go headphones first, then amp, then DAC, then power and cables. The difference between the headphone and amp there is by far the largest difference.

That's what I supposed... Thank you Sonido. Really interesting and valuable thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back