Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #9,001 of 9,326
Try modhouse hd700 mod kit for the hardness.It's reversible and requires no tools. There are two mods in there and each one affects the sound in diffferent ways.
Or do your own with a couple of Herbies Grungebuster dots for $5 and <15 minutes effort. Work great and you end up with world class headphones. I still love mine, even though I own various other Senns (580, 600, 650), and a very special, very pricy pair of audeze lcd-x, the hd700 always sound unique, especially soundstage, and give MUCH pleasure. A bargain at the used prices I’m seeing.

Attachments

• F580DACE-6C04-4756-9EF9-DBB0C659FF5A.jpeg
    F580DACE-6C04-4756-9EF9-DBB0C659FF5A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #9,002 of 9,326
Looking for some advice on earpads!
I got my HD700's last year from ebay, and I immediately had to ditch the stock headpad and earpads as they stunk my house out. I'd read a lot of posts online cautioning against using the 700's at all, mainly citing problems they'd had with the treble, so I opted to get some dekoni hybrid pads as a way around that. And while generally I find the headphones to sound good, I do have some issues with the sound that I'd like to iron out.
First off when putting them on, even without anything playing, its like listening to 'the sea' from inside a seashell, which can take anywhere from 6-8 tracks of an album for me to get used to... and that just doesn't seem quite right.
Secondly, even after adjusting to that shell echo thing, there is the inescapable impression of there being too much bass, like there is a solid shelf of bass being elevated artificially high in the mix, which is tiring to listen to and seems to mask and muddy some of the upper bass/lower midrange detail, which I particularly struggle with in rock or metal, though it can add some nice lower end presence in classical.
So far I've never found the treble to be too harsh or sharp, so perhaps I'm not too sensitive in that area, or maybe the pads are helping with that, but I cant confirm that yet. My gut is telling me that the hybrid pads are too deep/thick, and maybe being made of leather is also making things worse.
I'm wondering whether trying some new stock pads is worth a go, and might work better for me. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these?
Update, just got some official HD700 pads. This is the first time I've listened to how nature intended these headphones to sound.
Listened to some stuff on them with the dekoni elite hybrid pads first before swapping. It took quite a long time for my brain to wrap itself around the changes, which were more profound than I had expected.

Initial observations
Straight away I noticed a significant reduction in pressure around the back of my jaw/under my ear( probably because the hybrid pads are exactly twice the depth/height) which makes them much more comfortable to wear. The volume is also much higher, had to turn down by around 6 decibels before it was comfortable.
The openings in the pads themselves are appreciably wider than those on the hybrids. Fortunately the odd seashell effect has disappeared.

Sound
The strange feeling that there was an artificial elevation in the bass has gone, which is a relief. I had expected that solving this problem would have reduced the amount of bass overall, but much to my surprise, there is actually more bass, and also a lot more punch to it than before. Attack is more aggressive throughout the frequency range now. The bass timbre seems more natural, and richer now. In fact, there is a more natural timbre to the mids and treble too.

The soundstage has changed to the point of this feeling like a different headphone. Things are more forward now, where they had been quite distant before. The width is reduced, and with it there is a loss of space and 'blackness' surrounding each individual element. When using the hybrid pads, the effect of widening the soundstage was so extreme that elements on some tracks were pushed so far out to the edges that they rolled off and were barely discernable... a bizarre effect I've not had with any other headphone, and so far I haven't experienced this with the official pads. With the lack of the black space around the individual elements, it initially suggests that the midrange is less clean. The longer I listen, however, it becomes clear that the overall soundstage is much more coherent as a result. Interestingly, even though the general width seems to be reduced, some stereo effects now properly sound like they're coming from outside the earcups. Generally seems like the soundstage and imaging just works better, as time goes on.

Subjective feelings
Whenever I used the dekoni hybrid pads in the past, I could never quite suspend my belief that I was listening to headphones. There was always an awareness that I was relying on my brain compensating to make them work. I very rarely wanted to nod my head or tap my foot. And while I had intended this purchase to be where I stopped, I found myself searching for other headphones. Using the official pads, everything feels natural at last, I'm relaxed, and I'm moving to the rhythm. So, the official pads seem to work a lot better for me.

Please bear in mind that this is based on a single listening session, and its been quite challenging to adjust to the changes, so I will have to come back later and add to this if I start to perceive needles digging into my ears from an overly sharp treble... :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #9,003 of 9,326
Update, just got some official HD700 pads. This is the first time I've listened to how nature intended these headphones to sound.
Listened to some stuff on them with the dekoni elite hybrid pads first before swapping. It took quite a long time for my brain to wrap itself around the changes, which were more profound than I had expected.

Initial observations
Straight away I noticed a significant reduction in pressure around the back of my jaw/under my ear( probably because the hybrid pads are exactly twice the depth/height) which makes them much more comfortable to wear. The volume is also much higher, had to turn down by around 6 decibels before it was comfortable.
The openings in the pads themselves are appreciably wider than those on the hybrids. Fortunately the odd seashell effect has disappeared.

Sound
The strange feeling that there was an artificial elevation in the bass has gone, which is a relief. I had expected that solving this problem would have reduced the amount of bass overall, but much to my surprise, there is actually more bass, and also a lot more punch to it than before. Attack is more aggressive throughout the frequency range now. The bass timbre seems more natural, and richer now. In fact, there is a more natural timbre to the mids and treble too.

The soundstage has changed to the point of this feeling like a different headphone. Things are more forward now, where they had been quite distant before. The width is reduced, and with it there is a loss of space and 'blackness' surrounding each individual element. When using the hybrid pads, the effect of widening the soundstage was so extreme that elements on some tracks were pushed so far out to the edges that they rolled off and were barely discernable... a bizarre effect I've not had with any other headphone, and so far I haven't experienced this with the official pads. With the lack of the black space around the individual elements, it initially suggests that the midrange is less clean. The longer I listen, however, it becomes clear that the overall soundstage is much more coherent as a result. Interestingly, even though the general width seems to be reduced, some stereo effects now properly sound like they're coming from outside the earcups. Generally seems like the soundstage and imaging just works better, as time goes on.

Subjective feelings
Whenever I used the dekoni hybrid pads in the past, I could never quite suspend my belief that I was listening to headphones. There was always an awareness that I was relying on my brain compensating to make them work. I very rarely wanted to nod my head or tap my foot. And while I had intended this purchase to be where I stopped, I found myself searching for other headphones. Using the official pads, everything feels natural at last, I'm relaxed, and I'm moving to the rhythm. So, the official pads seem to work a lot better for me.

Please bear in mind that this is based on a single listening session, and its been quite challenging to adjust to the changes, so I will have to come back later and add to this if I start to perceive needles digging into my ears from an overly sharp treble... :o2smile:
Hey that treble issue and unclean midrange can be significantly reduced by applying the totally reversible no tools modhouse audios HD700 mod kit. If you use both parts, you will have a lot stronger bass, but personally I didn't care for the tone. But using just one (i forgot which one it was) I got the tone and overall experience to be much better.

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #9,004 of 9,326
Not trying to tempt you, but eBay currently has a few Certified Refurbished HD800S (directly from Sennheiser) in the US with a 2 year warranty for $1200. Personally, I'mma wait until I hear some headphones from CanJam and see if the HD8XX are a hit or a miss before deciding to change headphones or not. I might buy that mod later for the HD700.
Guess what... I'm listening to the HD800S !! It's a bit of a mixed bag.

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #9,005 of 9,326
Hey that treble issue and unclean midrange can be significantly reduced by applying the totally reversible no tools modhouse audios HD700 mod kit. If you use both parts, you will have a lot stronger bass, but personally I didn't care for the tone. But using just one (i forgot which one it was) I got the tone and overall experience to be much better.
I gave myself a day off from listening to music, then came back to them last night. I have to say that coming in fresh helps, and I stand by my initial thoughts, this is so much better to listen to now. With the dekoni pads I could only managed to listen to one album, maybe two at a reak push, before I was completely mentally exhausted, but I was able to listen easily for multiple hours without issues using the stock pads. Also experienced a nice 3D effect from time to time, where some instruments or voices would step way forward from the ensemble for a passage before stepping back again, something I'd not experienced on any headphone prior.
Also I tried all sorts of genres, better and worse recordings, but I haven't found anything so far which made me feel the treble was too harsh or too sharp. I would describe the treble as filling in the gap, as compared with other headphones that roll the treble off; its actually pleasant to be able to hear what I normally dont get presented in other phones. Midrange clarity does seem to change, not only between tracks, but also during different parts of a track, but it seems to be exclusively tied to vocals, which is interesting. I dont feel like I need any additional bass, its pretty good as it is, but I would be interested in seeing if a mod can give me a slight improvement to the vocals!
The only 'problem' I encoutered so far, is that I get a slight pressure in one ear, almost as if I can perceive the vibration of the live elements of the earcup... is this a known issue, or just me?

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #9,007 of 9,326
Final update: Decided to give the HD700 mod kit a shot. Messed with just a tad bit of EQ after that. Pretty happy with them now :
Very nice! The HD700's gave me tons of great sound. Hope you are still enjoying them. I have since moved on to the HD800S coupled with a Garage 1217 analog kameleon eq and a Schiit Loki mini plus eq (just for a touch of bass boost). I am thoroughly liking the upgrade . However, I feel the HD700's sit a lot more comfortably on one's head.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #9,009 of 9,326
Has anybody tries Feiyen or MiCity cables which are on Amazon. Or do you recommend another cable for the he 700s. not too expensive. Thanks.
I'm not familiar with the cables you mention. I use a balanced XLR cable from Periapt for my HD700s. You don't indicate what you consider expensive (that is a very subjective term in this hobby where some people drop four figures for a custom cable without blinking), but Periapt is pretty cheap for an after market cable manufacturer. IIRC, a five foot cable for the HD700 costs $50-something for a 1/4 inch termination, another $10 for XLR. I have another Periapt XLR cable on my Focal Elex. Nothing fancy, no solid silver cables (they offer one grade of copper with no options) but they appear well made and have proved (for me at least) to be more durable than some more expensive cables. And they are very nice people to deal with. When the initial cable they built did not fit the Elex (its cup jacks are recessed and require long, thin jacks) they rectified the problem with grace and speed.

Update: Sorry, but after posting the above, I noticed you are from the UK. I checked and Periapt, which is in the US, does ship internationally but I have no idea how much shipping, taxes, or customs will cost. These cables may not be the good deal they are here when those are factored in.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #9,011 of 9,326
Dec 27, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #9,013 of 9,326
Most likely a $50 cable would be noticeable Sonic downgrade from stock, but you might like a different length or different touch-feel to the cable. Ymmv, but for me a $50 third party HD 700 cable is a great way to throw away $50.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #9,015 of 9,326
It’s true, the HD700s soundstage is more set back but IMHO very linear and executed with excellent separation and perceived depth but of course in the “headphone way”, therefore still emulating from within and around the head, those of us with a stereo set-up would say “set behind the plane of the speakers”, without focusing on or bringing forward the centre image if it has not been recorded as such, which is correct and one of the HD700’s strong points.
It’s a given that all headphones are with regards to, horizontal and vertical staging, therefore width, height and depth,….. a poor compromise to a properly dialed in audiophile speaker set-up ….. due to the close proximity of the drivers to the ears and the shape and length of ones ear canal the staging is quite often either too convex or too concave, there have been some attempts at trying to create a realistic sound stage but the rules of physics/psychoacoustics apply and except for binaural recordings proper staging with headphones will always be a contentious issue.
So if one’s preference leans toward always having for example the centre image/performer high-lit and thrown forward, even if it has not been recorded as such, the 700s could be perceived as “Something about the mid range on the HD700's is missing. Vocals are distant, behind a wall type of sound.”, but for me Sennheiser, as far as headphones go, have achieved something special with the 700s, they're not perfect but still the best compromise I've found, and not a bad one at that, when I'm unable to listen to my speaker set-up.
smily_headphones1.gif

To quote myself. : )

(AKG sound signature)

(with regards to the HD700s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back