Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #8,461 of 9,298
One reason I think the X3 sounds better is the Wolfson DAC chip, to me its smoother and more dynamic than the PCM chip in the X5 and many of the newer DAPs.
While I don't have a Solstice to do any comparisons my Ember has never lacked transparency and is quite dynamic (depends on tubes used-Telefunken CCa, Siemens CCa and Amperex SQ/PQ) to me but it doesn't have as good soundstage and imaging as my BH Crack, headphone jack of UD-301 or old Sony ES HT receiver.

One of the best reasonable tube amps I've tried is the Elise but since its price ($1300, includes shipping) has gone up a lot over the past year I don't consider it as good a bargain as it price from when it was first introduced ($600 which included shipping IIRC) but they have made some improvements (I haven't heard the latest version) so maybe the price increase is justified. Others in this price range: WA2, Icon HP-8 mk2, MicroZOTL2 and Mainline.

Yeah, I've never though about the Ember lacking transparency or dynamics either. Like you say the tubes used will of course make a major difference here as well as the DAC you feed it from. I've only ever used my Ember connected to the DAC out on the Burson Conductor V2+, which is probably the most transparent DAC I've ever heard. My preferred tube with the HD700 is a Sylvania 6SN7 WGTbut I also enjoy it a lot with a Amperex 6dj8 orange globe. I can easily see the Ember (and any other tube equipped amplifier) perform a lot worse with subpar tubes or dac's. As always matching will also matter.....

May 2, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #8,462 of 9,298
I mentioned before that I fear my HD700s were a return, because there were a couple of adapters included that nobody else talks about receiving (a right-angle 3.5mm and a Lightning). Now I'm wondering if the previous owner messed up my pair.

From all the reviews online, the HD700s should be a big step up from my HD598. "Cleaner and clearer" was what I thought I should expect. I certainly didn't find that to be the case when running straight out of my MacBook Pro, but that's not too surprising. The HD598 are easier to drive. So I waited to hear the difference when played through a proper DAC/amp. Well, I've now got a Chord Mojo. My HD598s now sound pretty great, and these HD700s are still decidedly muddier.

Should I return them for a replacement HD700? Or do I just need to burn these headphones in a whole lot more? I've only got about 20 hours on them. Or is it possible my HD598's could actually sound cleaner and clearer?

May 2, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #8,463 of 9,298
I mentioned before that I fear my HD700s were a return, because there were a couple of adapters included that nobody else talks about receiving (a right-angle 3.5mm and a Lightning). Now I'm wondering if the previous owner messed up my pair.

From all the reviews online, the HD700s should be a big step up from my HD598. "Cleaner and clearer" was what I thought I should expect. I certainly didn't find that to be the case when running straight out of my MacBook Pro, but that's not too surprising. The HD598 are easier to drive. So I waited to hear the difference when played through a proper DAC/amp. Well, I've now got a Chord Mojo. My HD598s now sound pretty great, and these HD700s are still decidedly muddier.

Should I return them for a replacement HD700? Or do I just need to burn these headphones in a whole lot more? I've only got about 20 hours on them. Or is it possible my HD598's could actually sound cleaner and clearer?
If you can still send them back without getting nailed any fees, I would, it sure sounds like someone returned them with the extra stuff. And there is no way the HD 700 should sound muddy compared to the HD 598. Is there anything stuffed inside the ear pads, like toilet paper or foam? You should see the Sennheiser emblem inside the cups.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #8,464 of 9,298

If you cannot differentiate hd700 from hd598, then you need some brain burn in. Difficult to differentiate at first cause of similar house sound.

If hd700 is decidedly worse, then their is definitely a problem.

May 3, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,465 of 9,298
If you can still send them back without getting nailed any fees, I would, it sure sounds like someone returned them with the extra stuff. And there is no way the HD 700 should sound muddy compared to the HD 598. Is there anything stuffed inside the ear pads, like toilet paper or foam? You should see the Sennheiser emblem inside the cups.
Nope, nothing stuffed in there. I can see the Sennheiser emblem.

May 3, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #8,466 of 9,298
If you cannot differentiate hd700 from hd598, then you need some brain burn in. Difficult to differentiate at first cause of similar house sound.

If hd700 is decidedly worse, then their is definitely a problem.
Oh, it's a very noticeable difference. My wife, who is no audiophile, was able to articulate the difference, too.

Sounds like I need to return them.

May 3, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #8,469 of 9,298
Any chance I would hear a significant improvement if I purchased the Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amp? I found a really good price on one. I could use my Chord Mojo as a DAC to feed it.

How good is the deal?

I would suggest you slow down a bit. First see if you enjoy hd700 with mojo. If its right hp for you. Then try both tubes and ss to see what you prefer. Then make the investment.

I personally prefer enjoy both good tube amps as well as ss. I would get hdvd600 down the line if I got a deal and finances were not an issue.

May 3, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #8,472 of 9,298
Does anyone have a good driver tube upgrade recommendation for HD700s with a WA6? I'm on stock tunes (drives and rectifier) right now but I have enjoyed the sound signature for half a year now and want to purchase a Sophia Princess 274B mesh plate. I've heard this rectifer improves the soundstage and doesn't have any negative effects on depth or detail. I want to keep as "solid-state" of a sound as possible haha. I've heard good things about Mullard NOS tubes (don't know which specific tube though, just getting into researching).

May 4, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #8,474 of 9,298
I found some Beyerdynamic Custom i Pro headphones I got a few years ago. They sound pretty awesome through Mojo. Much better than the HD700. So I'm definitely sending the HD700's back.

Any other headphones I should try out in that price range, with better synergy with Mojo? (Sorry: Maybe I should ask that question in another thread.)

May 4, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #8,475 of 9,298
I found some Beyerdynamic Custom i Pro headphones I got a few years ago. They sound pretty awesome through Mojo. Much better than the HD700. So I'm definitely sending the HD700's back.

Any other headphones I should try out in that price range, with better synergy with Mojo? (Sorry: Maybe I should ask that question in another thread.)

My first choice would be hd700 only. Get them replaced. Out of mojo they dont have any flaws that you would notice or be bothered by in long term.

I think these would be my main hps for some years to come. With few complimentary hps here and there. They have a sense of naturalness that I have not heard elsewhere except other sennheiser hps. These are only ones I can imagine listening for 10 yrs and not get bored with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back