Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #8,432 of 9,320
I'm back! Well, sort of. Through serendipitous circumstance I ended up with a pristine HD800.

Oh my. I've heard these before, but now having had a chance to truly listen to them over an extended period, it is almost rivaling my time with the Focal Utopia - and even surpassing in the all important areas of soundstage and comfort.

I just want to say for HD700 owners who might be on the fence that if you love your 700s, primarily listen to classical, jazz, well recorded classic rock, properly engineered ambient / electronica - make the jump.

It is a level up, no question - increased soundstage, depth, layering, extended bass, texture and imaging. Listening to piano on the 800 on a great recording, you can hear the damper pedals, all mechanical interactions, sympathetic resonances and room reverb.

Similarly, the 700 performs well for all the above genres, but I think can be a bit more forgiving, and certainly can be easier to drive.

The 700 is still a great headphone, but the 800 is just more of everything I loved about the 700 - this is what I should have jumped to all those years ago! (I knew it - but was holding off). Surprisingly, my vintage HD540 is even more linear without any harshness (though without the vast soundstage of the 800/700).

Also, I was already in camp neutral with the 700, preferring solid-state - the simple low-distortion and able performance of the O2/ODAC. I truly feel that if your recordings are at the highest dynamic quality (ie. some of the best classical, acoustic, jazz and rock recordings), you won't need to 'warm' up the signature or add harmonics.

That said, I'm also listening out of a Modi 2 (multi-bit which, I can't say is better as a DAC) and Vali 2 - both on loan. Now the Vali 2 is definitely a consideration. This just smooths out the top-end signature and the amp sounds great with the range of tubes I've been trying (especially RCA) . I can imagine this would be the same with the 700. This may help make the headphone more listenable across a range of recordings, a little easier on the ears, and more pleasing without really losing any of the qualities of the 800/700.

I'll get a chance to listen to some other performers, including a Jotunheim, and Eddie Current in the future. I'll probably still keep my humble amp/dac setup though. The 800 is also replacing my fantastic set of LCD2s, something the 700s couldn't quite do. My early revision LCD2 is otherwise excellent, but a bit too congested for my musical tastes - too rolled off and mid-forward. EQ did help the LCD2, but with the other qualities of the 800 - especially soundstage and comfort there is no contest.

Oh, and happy to report that despite how large they are, the 800s are light, and with flat backing, you can still rest your head on a pillow comfortably.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #8,433 of 9,320
I'm back! Well, sort of. Through serendipitous circumstance I ended up with a pristine HD800.

Oh my. I've heard these before, but now having had a chance to truly listen to them over an extended period, it is almost rivaling my time with the Focal Utopia - and even surpassing in the all important areas of soundstage and comfort.

I just want to say for HD700 owners who might be on the fence that if you love your 700s, primarily listen to classical, jazz, well recorded classic rock, properly engineered ambient / electronica - make the jump.

It is a level up, no question - increased soundstage, depth, layering, extended bass, texture and imaging. Listening to piano on the 800 on a great recording, you can hear the damper pedals, all mechanical interactions, sympathetic resonances and room reverb.

Similarly, the 700 performs well for all the above genres, but I think can be a bit more forgiving, and certainly can be easier to drive.

The 700 is still a great headphone, but the 800 is just more of everything I loved about the 700 - this is what I should have jumped to all those years ago! (I knew it - but was holding off). Surprisingly, my vintage HD540 is even more linear without any harshness (though without the vast soundstage of the 800/700).

Also, I was already in camp neutral with the 700, preferring solid-state - the simple low-distortion and able performance of the O2/ODAC. I truly feel that if your recordings are at the highest dynamic quality (ie. some of the best classical, acoustic, jazz and rock recordings), you won't need to 'warm' up the signature or add harmonics.

That said, I'm also listening out of a Modi 2 (multi-bit which, I can't say is better as a DAC) and Vali 2 - both on loan. Now the Vali 2 is definitely a consideration. This just smooths out the top-end signature and the amp sounds great with the range of tubes I've been trying (especially RCA) . I can imagine this would be the same with the 700. This may help make the headphone more listenable across a range of recordings, a little easier on the ears, and more pleasing without really losing any of the qualities of the 800/700.

I'll get a chance to listen to some other performers, including a Jotunheim, and Eddie Current in the future. I'll probably still keep my humble amp/dac setup though. The 800 is also replacing my fantastic set of LCD2s, something the 700s couldn't quite do. My early revision LCD2 is otherwise excellent, but a bit too congested for my musical tastes - too rolled off and mid-forward. EQ did help the LCD2, but with the other qualities of the 800 - especially soundstage and comfort there is no contest.

Oh, and happy to report that despite how large they are, the 800s are light, and with flat backing, you can still rest your head on a pillow comfortably.

Is this s model? If its a non s model i suggest you give it longer time to showcase its character to you fully. Allow the brain burn in to be complete, around 1-2 weeks then make a decision.

Vali might help you in liking it i suppose. I have heard hd800 and compared it to my HD700. My main setup is solid state, and I don't think I can use hd800 on it.

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #8,434 of 9,320
Is this s model? If its a non s model i suggest you give it longer time to showcase its character to you fully. Allow the brain burn in to be complete, around 1-2 weeks then make a decision.

Vali might help you in liking it i suppose. I have heard hd800 and compared it to my HD700. My main setup is solid state, and I don't think I can use hd800 on it.

I've already made my decision! :wink: I love it - the HD800.

Brain 'burn-in' can happen much faster. Took a day. Also, having owned the 700 and the brilliant HD540 - I was prepped. There is nothing objectionable about the 800 whatsoever. I was only offering the Vali 2 as an alternative for others who may be interested in something that imports a bit more flavour. I also am testing the LISST 'tube' for the Vali 2 to make it solid-state.

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #8,435 of 9,320

Brain 'burn-in' can happen much faster. Took a day. Also, having owned the 700 and the brilliant HD540 - I was prepped. There is nothing objectionable about the 800 whatsoever. I was only offering the Vali 2 as an alternative for others who may be interested in something that imports a bit more flavour. I also am testing the LISST 'tube' for the Vali 2 to make it solid-state.

It might work out for you, I cannot comment on that.

In my personal experience, I was blown away by hd800 on my first audition. I was surprised how much extra detail / resolution 800 had. Also the huge soundstage.

But over time, its treble peak showed itself. So much so that even warmest dacs amps I had couldn't do anything about it. Only tubes could tame it.

It belonged to a friend. He modded it and now he is able to listen to it.

I rather invested in electronics and now I feel my system with hd700 matches detail level of hd800 when I heard it for first time on entry level setup.

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #8,436 of 9,320
Hello! I just purchased the HD700 and a Chord Mojo. I've used Tidal in the past, but gave it up because I had too many streaming problems, so I'm currently using Apple Music (don't judge me.) :)

So, I've got a number of questions:

How best to take advantage of this combo (HD700 and Mojo)? I know some people will say it's too bright, but I think that will work for me. With my stereo system (JBL Studio 590 towers attached to a Marantz 5011), I'm constantly using EQ on iTunes to bump up the treble and bass (like with the Loudness preset). So my hope is that the HD700/Mojo combo will allow me to listen to music without EQ, but come in pretty close to where I would normally get with my speakers and EQ.

So, should I go back to Tidal? I remember being impressed with their sound quality, especially on Masters material. I've since improved my internet speed to Gigabit fiber, so maybe I wouldn't have the streaming problems anymore. If I use the Tidal app out of my MacBook, that will get me the first couple of "unfolds" from MQA, and then the Mojo can improve it from there. Sound right?

Finally, how do I break in these headphones? Any particular recommendation? I'm going to get the headphones delivered today, but won't get the Mojo for a couple more days. So I'm thinking I should run pink noise or random music through the headphones nonstop while I wait for the Mojo.

Any help much appreciated!

Apr 30, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #8,437 of 9,320
Hello! I just purchased the HD700 and a Chord Mojo. I've used Tidal in the past, but gave it up because I had too many streaming problems, so I'm currently using Apple Music (don't judge me.) :)

How best to take advantage of this combo (HD700 and Mojo)? I know some people will say it's too bright, but I think that will work for me. With my stereo system (JBL Studio 590 towers attached to a Marantz 5011), I'm constantly using EQ on iTunes to bump up the treble and bass (like with the Loudness preset). So my hope is that the HD700/Mojo combo will allow me to listen to music without EQ, but come in pretty close to where I would normally get with my speakers and EQ.

So, should I go back to Tidal? I remember being impressed with their sound quality, especially on Masters material. I've since improved my internet speed to Gigabit fiber, so maybe I wouldn't have the streaming problems anymore. If I use the Tidal app out of my MacBook, that will get me the first couple of "unfolds" from MQA, and then the Mojo can improve it from there. Sound right?

Finally, how do I break in these headphones? Any particular recommendation? I'm going to get the headphones delivered today, but won't get the Mojo for a couple more days. So I'm thinking I should run pink noise or random music through the headphones nonstop while I wait for the Mojo.

You are going to get many opinions on the matter. Mine, is that Tidal high-quality is not required. While I prefer FLAC files for archival reasons, compressed music formats can sound very good, and in the majority of cases concerning high-quality compression - indistinguishable from lossless (flac,wav,aiff) formats.

Test for yourself:

Tidal test here:
http://abx.digitalfeed.net/

other format tests here:
http://abx.digitalfeed.net/list.html

Personally, if you enjoy Apple Music, stick with it. Convenience is important. The quality is very good, and will sound fine out of your Mojo. Most important is the quality of the recordings of which there are many original master recordings available to listen to via Apple.

The 700 and Mojo isn't too bright imo. Was recently testing a Mojo this past weekend, and it was seemed transparent and powerful enough. Nothing 'special' which is usually a good sign as far as an amp/dac goes.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #8,438 of 9,320

Wow its exact same setup i have. Be prepared for goosebumps, depending on your previous exposure to high end gear.

Mojo is as good a match to hd700 as a dac can be. Hd700 has what is typically referred to as v shaped signature. Mojo has mids forward signature so balance it out very well.

Tidal or cd quality will do wonders. I have not used apple music but if its like itunes download, I can make out some dullness in music compared to cd quality using hd700.

I also use a good transparent amp between mojo and hd700. I think it brings very good benefits to the table and realise both mojo and hd700 potential. But you should start thinking about it 1-2 yrs later, if at all.

Apr 30, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #8,439 of 9,320
You are going to get many opinions on the matter. Mine, is that Tidal high-quality is not required. While I prefer FLAC files for archival reasons, compressed music formats can sound very good, and in the majority of cases concerning high-quality compression - indistinguishable from lossless (flac,wav,aiff) formats.

Test for yourself:

Tidal test here:
http://abx.digitalfeed.net/

other format tests here:
http://abx.digitalfeed.net/list.html

Personally, if you enjoy Apple Music, stick with it. Convenience is important. The quality is very good, and will sound fine out of your Mojo. Most important is the quality of the recordings of which there are many original master recordings available to listen to via Apple.

The 700 and Mojo isn't too bright imo. Was recently testing a Mojo this past weekend, and it was seemed transparent and powerful enough. Nothing 'special' which is usually a good sign as far as an amp/dac goes.
I've done some of those tests. I definitely can tell a quality difference between 128 and 256 recordings. For 256 vs lossless, I can sometimes tell a difference, though even when I do hear the difference, I'm not always consistent in which I find to sound better. But my understanding is that high end headphones are often more revealing than speakers. So I'm wondering if I'll start to have a significant preference for lossless in headphones, even though I don't have a consistent preference when listening through speakers. It's encouraging that perhaps I wouldn't have to switch back to Tidal. I have my whole family on Apple for $5 less per month than just myself on Tidal HiFi. And I haven't had nearly as many streaming problems with Apple.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #8,440 of 9,320
Wow its exact same setup i have. Be prepared for goosebumps, depending on your previous exposure to high end gear.

Mojo is as good a match to hd700 as a dac can be. Hd700 has what is typically referred to as v shaped signature. Mojo has mids forward signature so balance it out very well.

Tidal or cd quality will do wonders. I have not used apple music but if its like itunes download, I can make out some dullness in music compared to cd quality using hd700.

I also use a good transparent amp between mojo and hd700. I think it brings very good benefits to the table and realise both mojo and hd700 potential. But you should start thinking about it 1-2 yrs later, if at all.
I've got HD598 straight out of my MacBook Pro today, so this will be a big jump up for me!

I have seen articles saying Apple Music streaming is 256. It's definitely pretty good.

What kinds of benefits do you get from adding an amp to the mix? Is the Mojo's amp not adequate? Or does it get you, say, 90% of what you get by adding an amp in the chain?

Thanks for the feedback!

Apr 30, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #8,441 of 9,320

@Malfunkt I've followed your impressions on Head-Fi for a while now and I seem to lag behind you in getting some of the same cans you had or have ... HD 700, and I just traded for the HD 250 Linear II (waiting for them to come in!), and the HD 630VB is on my list, too... but having you, whose impressions I trust, tell me that I need to make the jump from the HD 700 to HD 800 isn't good for my wallet, man... :beyersmile:

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #8,442 of 9,320
I'll second this. There is a perceivable gain when you move from Apple Music to Tidal, but you need the mastering to be good to notice it. In the end it is up to each one to decide.

Regarding the HD700 and HD800, I'm on the fence. I bought the HD700 looking for a headphone for classical music and Iove its pairing with the Schiit Magni (I have the HD700 modded). I would like to compare them and make my own call, because as evidenced by the comments of @vaibhavp and @Malfunkt, everyone's ears are different and some may not perceive a substantial gain that justifies the $$ from the HD800

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #8,443 of 9,320
I'll second this. There is a perceivable gain when you move from Apple Music to Tidal, but you need the mastering to be good to notice it. In the end it is up to each one to decide.

Regarding the HD700 and HD800, I'm on the fence. I bought the HD700 looking for a headphone for classical music and Iove its pairing with the Schiit Magni (I have the HD700 modded). I would like to compare them and make my own call, because as evidenced by the comments of @vaibhavp and @Malfunkt, everyone's ears are different and some may not perceive a substantial gain that justifies the $$ from the HD800

Good point on the HD 700 to HD 800 re: $$ and whether the jump in price is justified by the jump in sound quality. I don't doubt that the HD 800 are better -- or even that I'd like them better -- than the HD 700 if I had the right amp synergy for the HD 800, but besides the substantial price difference between the HD 700 and HD 800 alone, while I joked that Malfunkt's exhortation that people jump to the HD 800 could hurt my wallet, in all seriousness, I am very unlikely to make that jump any time soon since I would also need a better amp than the very budget amps I have presently (Magni 3, Vali 1st gen, Samson QH-4, iFi iCAN 1st gen).

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #8,444 of 9,320
Agreed with @trellus, the HD800 is more amp picky that the HD700 to sound to its best. I'm also un budget (but very competent amps, Magni 3 and Vali2) and both are good pairings with the HD700, particularly the Magni3 in the case of classical music

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #8,445 of 9,320

I'm not sure when you were using Tidal or what problems you had (you're not specific) but starting last summer, I had a number of problems with Tidal's Windows app (and their customer support was particularly unhelpful). Primary problems were the app would often not advance at the completion of a track in HiFi mode, but would buffer endlessly. Master recording had their own peculiar problem: often they would skip a track when advancing or a track would play as electronic sludge unless manually restarted. After a couple of months, updates to the app fixed all these problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back