Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #6,751 of 9,320
MKiii should be able to get there but it may take some rolling of course. 700's present so much detail and space that, for me, it was just a matter of making sure that they had the warmth to tame the highs and thicken things up a bit.

I powered them with a Vali 2 fed by a dragonfly 1.2 which didn't sound great off the bat. Then I rolled in an EH 6CG7 (which is, I believe, getting close to the warmest/tubiest that amp can sound) and it really changed for me. The 700's were always an interesting, revealing and exciting listen but I had usually  found them emotionally lacking. The warmer tube actually closed in the space a little bit which seemed to bring a coherence that had been missing. Suddenly I was listening to music instead of lots of little sounds coming at me from every different direction.

In the end, for my musical tastes, the mids were a bit too recessed to be my primary cans. I realized that I was often bringing the volume up to fatiguing levels in order to listen to vocals and I got rid of them. Wouldn't mind owning them again though. Some of my jazz and instrumental albums have never sounded better. 

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #6,753 of 9,320
  MKiii should be able to get there but it may take some rolling of course. 700's present so much detail and space that, for me, it was just a matter of making sure that they had the warmth to tame the highs and thicken things up a bit.

I powered them with a Vali 2 fed by a dragonfly 1.2 which didn't sound great off the bat. Then I rolled in an EH 6CG7 (which is, I believe, getting close to the warmest/tubiest that amp can sound) and it really changed for me. The 700's were always an interesting, revealing and exciting listen but I had usually  found them emotionally lacking. The warmer tube actually closed in the space a little bit which seemed to bring a coherence that had been missing. Suddenly I was listening to music instead of lots of little sounds coming at me from every different direction.

In the end, for my musical tastes, the mids were a bit too recessed to be my primary cans. I realized that I was often bringing the volume up to fatiguing levels in order to listen to vocals and I got rid of them. Wouldn't mind owning them again though. Some of my jazz and instrumental albums have never sounded better. 

It depends on the genre of music and like you if there are a lot vocals then the HD-700 might not be my first choice to listen with, more likely I'd reach for SRH-1840, HD-650 or HE-560.  For classical, jazz and blues then the HD-700 would be one of the first that I reach for.

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #6,754 of 9,320
  It depends on the genre of music and like you if there are a lot vocals then the HD-700 might not be my first choice to listen with, more likely I'd reach for SRH-1840, HD-650 or HE-560.  For classical, jazz and blues then the HD-700 would be one of the first that I reach for.

Agreed.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #6,755 of 9,320

Metalhead and hip hop fan checking in. Rap is a little harsh with the 700s but not too bad, and metal is friggin' delicious. Just to add to the pot of "genres that work".

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #6,757 of 9,320

Metalhead and hip hop fan checking in. Rap is a little harsh with the 700s but not too bad, and metal is friggin' delicious. Just to add to the pot of "genres that work".

I've very rarely ever listened to rap so not a big issue for me, but good to know
biggrin.gif

So far I've tried classical, blues, country, and I guess vocial pop(Celine Dion). And they all sound quite nice to me.

Haven't listened to Celine in a while, guess I'll put of her songs in my play list for tonight

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #6,758 of 9,320

I agree. Metal is absolutely awesome on the hd700. Jazz and prog too. But metal is wonderful. Open, layered sound that just presents the complex messiness of metal in all its glory!

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #6,759 of 9,320
I agree. Metal is absolutely awesome on the hd700. Jazz and prog too. But metal is wonderful. Open, layered sound that just presents the complex messiness of metal in all its glory!

Gotta give mad respect to a Spectral Lore fan!!

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #6,762 of 9,320
I'm big into that sort of post-black types, man. Heard Illyria? Damn good release.

I am listening to gnosis right now on the hd700. I don't think I have done so on the 700 before. The detail, layering, instrument separation and positioning make the guitars (I think 3) sound open and clear. Very impressive.

I will check Illyria out, thanks for the recommend!

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #6,763 of 9,320
I am listening to gnosis right now on the hd700. I don't think I have done so on the 700 before. The detail, layering, instrument separation and positioning make the guitars (I think 3) sound open and clear. Very impressive.

I will check Illyria out, thanks for the recommend!

And I'm ALSO listening to Gnosis!

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #6,764 of 9,320
Indian Classical music sounds absolutely wonderful on these. Violins sound so real, and with percussion instruments there is all the subtlety and micro nuances that the musician himself could ever dream of.
Check out "Who's to Know" by L Shankar, one of the best albums to showcase carnatic music,

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #6,765 of 9,320

Have you tried "Elegant... and Dying" by Virgin Black?
I'm not really a metal-head but it's a great album. Sounded great on my DT880, I'm yet to try it on my HD700.
The song "Our Wings Are Burning" sounds terrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back