1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, May 31, 2012.
First

Back
439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448
450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459
Next

Last
  1. DavidA
    I don't know much about the LD Mk2 but the Mullards that you were looking at are warmer sounding in general so it might be what you are looking for. 

The Telefunken is a very clear and resolving tube but its also on the bright side of neutral, reason to pair with TS 5998 for the BH Crack.  Can the LD Mk2 take 12AU7 tubes besides the 6J6?

2. SomeGuyDude
    I admit I don't really understand all these abbreviations as well as many (plus I know some of them are the same thing). 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/355789/list-of-little-dot-amps has a lot of info but I'm not 100% certain on what it's saying. 

3. gibosi

No. The 5998 and 12AU7 will not work in the Little Dot MKII.

SomeGuyDude likes this.
  4. mathi8vadhanan
    Thank you, so much!! 

5. LugBug1
    I'm living with both these hp's at the mo. I use my 650's for my computer time and my 700's for critical/relaxing listening on my main rig. Same amp for both rigs.

One thing that strikes me everytime I put the HD700 on is how they are more laid back in the mids and treble. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the 700's are a relaxing listen. They do have peaks and the treble is as extended as any headphone I've used. They're exactly the same as the hd800 in this respect, but the treble is smooth compared to the HD650. The peaks are higher up and so high registers of instruments come through louder. However, the HD650's peak is more irritating to me as it is centered right where most of the music details are dominant. And this unnaturally brightens them imo. Phrases such as 'grainy' come to mind. Vocals/violins for e.g can sound harsher than natural.

I'm not bashing the 650 here though. I'm still keeping hold of them. Just the HD700 are better at pretty much everything. I'll say it again - they're are such a bargain now!! 

6. SomeGuyDude

The fact that they're within $50 of each on Amazon is crazy.

7. LugBug1
    Absolutely! 

Also, wanted to add that just like any other headphone sytem matching is imperative. I wouldn't pair the HD800 on a dry SS amp and the same goes for the HD700. I wouldn't pair the HD650 on a warm tube amp if you don't want bloat etc etc. 

Any complaints regarding the upper treble can only be from bad matching. Many folk didn't give the hd800 a chance when they first came out for the same reasons. And now they are claimed to be the greatest dynamic hp ever. 

8. DavidA
    Interesting you mention the treble of the HD-650 being irritating, for me it was the HD-600 that the treble was irritating and its at 4-5khz IIRC.  It took a little research and arguments with a few on the HD-600 thread to figure out why I didn't like the HD-600 knowing that the HD-700 / 800 / T1 didn't bother me in the highs but are considered brighter headphones by most, if not all.  Just shows that everyone hears differently and the only way to really know is to try, which I think many that bashed the HD-700 when it first came out didn't really do and just took the word of a few notable reviewers.  But as a poster above note it drove down the price to make it a really good deal for those who take a chance with them.

9. dbaker1981

And see to me the 600's are vailed when it comes to the upper reaches. I get my 700's today. Can't wait to see how they perform.

10. LugBug1
    Totally understand. The HD650 and 600 are very similar. I've always found it weird the whole 'veiled' thing. When you listen to both of those headphones they are highly detailed and even a little 'shouty' in the upper mids/treble. Its just they don't have the higher peaks that other hp's have. I think maybe the whole veil thing came about only because the competition at the time was from AKG and Beyer who both favoured a little ultra treble haha. 

I'd much rather have the extension that both the HD700 and HD800 offer, than a rolled off but lifted lower treble. But to be fair on both sides here, the HD700 is not perfect and neither is the HD800. They both dip quite significantly in the low treble. This is very nice on the ears but maybe just a little less would be better for the purists. Just a smidge off the very top and a slight lift lower down and perfection could be achieved!  :)  

11. dbaker1981

Right now my favorite phones I have are SR80e's that's been modded with wooden gs1000 cups with yipsilon drivers and custom ofc cables. So they are very forward. I think that's why my 600's sound kind of vailed to me.

12. joeq70
    Those aren't SR80e's anymore lol.

13. dbaker1981

IMG_0027.jpg

Nope but they sound great.

14. bharris
    That headphone stand! did you just make an attachment to replace the normal tripod head?

15. DavidA

Quote:
    Nice, did you try the EZ G pads? they might give you a little more sound stage and boost the low end a little.  I also find them much more comfortable than the L pads.  It looks like you've done the tape mod to boost the bass, I didn't like the over all effect of the tape, made the bass a little boomy in the mid bass and the tape also made the L pads a little to stiff for comfort.

Love the ypsilon driver, ordered parts to build a second, here's the first one in the GS style cups then in the RS style which I like a little better:
    YpsilonDriver.jpg

Woody-225i-2.jpg

First

Back
439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448
450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459
Next

Last