Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #6,511 of 9,320
  Hey guys, I've had a pair of HD 700s for almost 2 years now. So far I've always found the treble to be ear piercing, as many other people have stated before. What I did was work a bit on the equalizer, lowering down a tad bit on the 6k and 11k frequency. It did a sort of "ok" job for the time being. What I learned was that I'm quite sensitive for any kind of high trebles. They do bother me. In a recent trip to Korea, I bought a pair of IEM that I ended up enjoying a lot, and the sound signature was very different from my Senns. Before the HD 700 I had the HD 598, and even with the 598 I used to hear at low volume because of the treble. I'm 28 years old and I can hear up to 17-18khz frequencies if that matters for anything I'm saying here. Anyway, after seeing that I was into warmer headphones, what in my opinion is not the case of the HD 700, I started searching online for people who equalized their HD 700 and could share their preset with me, so I could try some different variations in my cans. I wasn't expecting much though. I came across a thread here in this forum where I found exactly what I was looking for. Btw, I use my cans on my computer having them powered up by my Asus Xonar Essence STX, which is the best of the best sound cards out there. I've never noticed a difference in sound output between this sound card and, let's say, 800 bucks amps. And I tested quite a bit. So it was more than fine to me. Anyway, I got the equalizer preset, still changed two things that still needed some work (in my opinion), and voila, the HD 700 suddenly changed into a MUCH. MORE. PLEASANT. headphones to hear. So I'd like to drop and image here of my exact settings in case people here wanna try it out for themselves. If I got it right, it improves a bit the bass and flattens the frequency curve after the 700hz mark. The pre amp is set at -6 to avoid clipping. On my sound card software I left at "high gain". Low gain didn't give much life to the headphone, and ultra high gain would change nothing in the richness of the sound, just would make it louder. All that brightness that bothered me on the "raw" sound was gone, and at the same time the details and instrument separation and what not were still there. It does not sound as if it was equalized by software, at all. 

initial source:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/677183/measurement-based-equalization-of-hd650-hd700

I'm sure some sound wizard could still improve it even further, but for now I'm quite happy with the results.

That is very close to the way I have my FiiO X3II set up. Though the FiiO is only a 10 band, so I had to nudge the nearest treble down (which was actually 8K), and I actually nudged up the sub bass, instead of mid bass. To my ears the mid bass is awesome. It is the sub bass (to my ears) that need a little more quantity. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #6,513 of 9,320
  I would say both needed a bit more quantity. But it is way more difficult to get a good quality sub bass only by equalizing. It's not the same as changing mids and treble. For that I'd need to simply change headphones. That's why I left only at that.

Normally I would agree with you, but IMO the HD700 has some REALLY good quality sub bass, it just needs boosted a tad. To each his own I suppose, and I'm pretty darned happy with it the way I have it atm... 

The only other real difference in my eq settings (that I neglected to mention because of relevance) is about 14k and up. I have those boosted a LOT.... I have had my hearing tested, and I actually CAN still hear up to about 17k or so, but they are VERY faint, and need boosted a whole lot for me to equalize them to the rest of the curve. Samsung's "Adapt Sound" does a very good job of setting up things for me by giving me a hearing test. The problem is that the output of the Note 4 (that I use) is not very good, and have to pair it with an amp to listen with these headphones.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #6,514 of 9,320
I've been listening to "Live Tales" from Ken Hensley lately on my HD700 and I've enjoyed the presentation.
Vocals tend to be on the forward side and thus it's quite a good match for HD700.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #6,517 of 9,320
Is this phone as bright as Q701's? And how do they compare? I can get them for $360 and I'm thinking about selling my HD7 DJ, Q701, and NAD Viso HP50's. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #6,518 of 9,320
  Is this phone as bright as Q701's? And how do they compare? I can get them for $360 and I'm thinking about selling my HD7 DJ, Q701, and NAD Viso HP50's. 

Its close but the highs are smoother IMO so they don't bother me at all.  The bass on the HD-700 is better and the mids are a bit recessed but I like the over all sound signature much better than the Q701.  $360 is a great price but I can't say about selling off all the others to just get one, only you can decide that.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #6,519 of 9,320

Its close but the highs are smoother IMO so they don't bother me at all.  The bass on the HD-700 is better and the mids are a bit recessed but I like the over all sound signature much better than the Q701.  $360 is a great price but I can't say about selling off all the others to just get one, only you can decide that.

Well, I think I'll go for it. Q701's are bright/thin sounding and I don't use them all too often, the HD7DJ's headband is uncomfortable and so are the HP50's. I've tried the HD700's briefly and quite liked the sound. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #6,520 of 9,320
  Well, I think I'll go for it. Q701's are bright/thin sounding and I don't use them all too often, the HD7DJ's headband is uncomfortable and so are the HP50's. I've tried the HD700's briefly and quite liked the sound. 

FWIW I only tried the Q701 twice and both times I didn't like it, even driven with a Liquid Glass it was harsh to me.  I got the HD-700 a few years ago and loved it ever since and when I met my current GF I was surprised to find out that she also had a HD-700 along with a HD-650 and K7XX, one of the reasons we get along so well.

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #6,521 of 9,320

FWIW I only tried the Q701 twice and both times I didn't like it, even driven with a Liquid Glass it was harsh to me.  I got the HD-700 a few years ago and loved it ever since and when I met my current GF I was surprised to find out that she also had a HD-700 along with a HD-650 and K7XX, one of the reasons we get along so well.

That is awesome. Imo, I've been thinking about selling the HP50 and Q701 and if that thought is on my mind very often I think it's time to sell. I could never think about selling my 650's though. The deed has been done and my Q701 and HP50 should be gone soon. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #6,522 of 9,320
  That is awesome. Imo, I've been thinking about selling the HP50 and Q701 and if that thought is on my mind very often I think it's time to sell. I could never think about selling my 650's though. The deed has been done and my Q701 and HP50 should be gone soon. 

Same here, the HD-650 is one headphone that I will not sell, the HD-700 is the other.

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #6,523 of 9,320

Same here, the HD-650 is one headphone that I will not sell, the HD-700 is the other.

Do you think the soundstage of the HD650 is close to the HD700? I remember the HD800 being absolutely massive; it's unreal. Wondering if it's that big of a difference with the HD700. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #6,524 of 9,320
  Do you think the soundstage of the HD650 is close to the HD700? I remember the HD800 being absolutely massive; it's unreal. Wondering if it's that big of a difference with the HD700. 

Sound stage of HD-700 is closer to HD-800, to me its more realistic as the HD-800 can be too wide at time, but it also depends on the music that I'm listening to.

I would say the sound stage of the HD-700 is 3/4 of the difference from the HD-650 to the HD-800.

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #6,525 of 9,320

Sound stage of HD-700 is closer to HD-800, to me its more realistic as the HD-800 can be too wide at time, but it also depends on the music that I'm listening to.

I would say the sound stage of the HD-700 is 3/4 of the difference from the HD-650 to the HD-800.

Oh, and instrument separation vs the 650? It's been well over a year since I tried them but they were my third favorite along with the LCD2 and 800's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back