Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #571 of 9,326
I just noticed something, maybe that push with higher-end audio gave me a perspective into what audio is like.

Right now I'm listening to my HD700 through my Asus Xonar Essence STX, on mid-gain using Foobar2000 with ASIO driver and the music I'm playing is Deep Forest album at 24/192, with that gain/ASIO/foobar2000 volume set at about -10dB setting, it was distorted and very high treble. Turning this down to -18.89dB made a huge difference, the soundstage feels more realistic and natural, and the sound also a bit warmer. The bass on that album is punchy but listening at these volumes you don't get too much punch.

What I'm saying, like the HD800, the HD700 is very picky and needs powerful amps, even though it's half the ohm of HD800.

I'm keeping the HD700 but I'm getting myself Audeze LCD-3 soon :)

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #572 of 9,326
  I just noticed something, maybe that push with higher-end audio gave me a perspective into what audio is like.

Right now I'm listening to my HD700 through my Asus Xonar Essence STX, on mid-gain using Foobar2000 with ASIO driver and the music I'm playing is Deep Forest album at 24/192, with that gain/ASIO/foobar2000 volume set at about -10dB setting, it was distorted and very high treble. Turning this down to -18.89dB made a huge difference, the soundstage feels more realistic and natural, and the sound also a bit warmer. The bass on that album is punchy but listening at these volumes you don't get too much punch.

What I'm saying, like the HD800, the HD700 is very picky and needs powerful amps, even though it's half the ohm of HD800.

The LCD-3 really needs a powerful amp, but they're fantastic with a good amp. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #573 of 9,326

You don't think you should look into a better DAC/amp first? When I had the Essence STX I found headphones ranging from the AD900 to the Pro2900 were greatly held back by it. I wouldn't even dream of using the HD700 or the twice as expensive LCD3 with it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Esscence. I found it's DAC better than even the Schiit Bifrost, but it does have it's limits.

Anyway, I posted this in another thread. I was wondering what you guys thought of it.

" I found that the HD700s sounded over saturated. With that design you're not only getting the sound coming from the drivers but that coming off the radiators with a slight delay. For me, it created a forward but in-direct sound. The HD598 had something in the cups that if I'm remembering right blocked the path between the driver and your ears, so you'd only be hearing the sound after it had reflected off of the cups. That headphones sounded smoothed over(or veiled) and had some weird separation in the soundstage. When listening to metal I'd get the drums in one ear and the guitars in the other, the center image was appalling. I haven't tried the 600 series, but going based on what I have heard I'd say Senn's design philosophy is all about having the sound reflecting off the cups into your ears(rather than straight from the driver).

Both headphones reminded me of the sound I got from my STAX when I tried the T1 tube amp. Maybe the way Senn headphones are designed, it creates some kind of even-order harmonics? Am I getting at something here, or just shouting a bunch of bull? tongue.gif"

Looking at Sennheiser's site it looks like they specifically tried to eliminate 'harmonic resonances' with these headphones, so that's one strike against my theory right there.

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #574 of 9,326
You don't think you should look into a better DAC/amp first? When I had the Essence STX I found headphones ranging from the AD900 to the Pro2900 were greatly held back by it. I wouldn't even dream of using the HD700 or the twice as expensive LCD3 with it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Esscence. I found it's DAC better than even the Schiit Bifrost, but it does have it's limits.

So what do you suggest I keep the STX but get a decent amp? Can you recommend anything that can be good with both headphones?
Something in the $1000 range.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #575 of 9,326
So what do you suggest I keep the STX but get a decent amp? Can you recommend anything that can be good with both headphones?
Something in the $1000 range.

I don't know, I haven't heard too many amps in the price range. What I can say though is that the STX is generally considered a bright soundcard; so if you like the kind of sound you're getting now you should look for an amp that is at least considered neutral. Maybe something like the Auditor or one of the Meier Audio amps? Both my amplifier and DAC are warm sounding(tubey sounding in the case of my amp though it is a SS design). What I ended up with was way too warm, I think the HD700s are pretty warm themselves.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #576 of 9,326
I happen to notice Amazon has fluctuated on their pricing with the HD 700.  Down to $910.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-700-Headphone-Black/dp/B0070U8KSM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378585136&sr=1-1&keywords=hd+700

And I also learned the HD 477 and HD 497 cable fits the 700.  Which means with a $5 Neutrik connector, I can make me a balanced cable and use mine with my Schiit Mjolnir.  Sweet.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #577 of 9,326
I have heard so many negative things about this headphone that I think I have been scared away for good
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #579 of 9,326
Continuing on my previous post trying out different DACs for the Sennheiser HD-700.

Previously tested DACs:
Meridian Explorer (Chipset: Texas Instruments PCM5102)
ODAC (Chipset: ESS Sabre ES9023)
iBasso D7 Sidewinder (Chipset: Wolfson WM8740)

This time..
CEntrance DACport LX (Chipset: AKM4396)
Audioquest Dragonfly (Chipset: ESS Sabre ES9023 (?))

Amp
Vioelectric V100

V100 + CEntrance DACport LX:
Better bass response than iBasso D7. Definitely more sub bass present which is big plus. Vocals are very forward. iBasso D7 has smoother treble, although DACport LX has somewhat smooth treble. Treble also seems kind of forward.

V100 + Audioquest Dragonfly:
Very similar to CEntrance DACport LX but better. Vocals are not as forward which I like. Much better separation, more space between instruments. Better soundstage. More detail. Sub bass as good if not better than DACport LX. Similar treble though not as forward.

What to make of this. I think Audioquest Dragonfly works good with the HD-700. I really like the bass performance. Two test tracks confirm..

* Hardfloor - Acperience 1
Song start off with a boomy kickdrum, then a clean one comes in. HD-700 handles it great, you can feel the punch.

* Busta Rhymes - Gimme Some More
Difficult track for many headphones. Bass pattern is very fast. HD-700 handles it great with detail, punch and does not have problems with the fast pace bass.

I still like the treble of the iBasso D7, it's tube-like, but too bad sub bass is not as good. So I will be using the Audioquest Dragonfly. It is not perfect maybe but I can live with the slight flaws as in still somewhat sharp forward treble at occasions and also vocals are a little off at times (aka I've heard better).

That's all the DACs I have at hand. Normally, I almost always use the ODAC as it is so detailed and precise/transparent and takes most of my headphones to another level, but with the HD-700 it wasn't a good match for me because I had some problems with the treble being sharp and fatiguing. This led me to try out my other DACs to find a better match.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #581 of 9,326
  When after two months I listened to the LCD-2 again, the first thing that popped into my mind was “wow, how much its sound is dark in comparing to HD700!” 

I compared them head to head on same equipment, LCD-2 has a much different sound signature and yeah, it's most likely quite a bit darker than the HD700, but not heaven and hell kind of difference.

atsmile.gif

You would also do yourself great service if you have both, for reference purposes, both excellent headphones.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #582 of 9,326

I compared them head to head on same equipment, LCD-2 has a much different sound signature and yeah, it's most likely quite a bit darker than the HD700, but not heaven and hell kind of difference.

atsmile.gif

You would also do yourself great service if you have both, for reference purposes, both excellent headphones.

Yes, both are excellent headphones. My only issues with the LCD-2 is its weigh and comfort during long sessions.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #584 of 9,326
So yeah, the HD 477/497 cable is a direct fit for the 700s.  

I used a Neutrik 4 pin XLR connector to be able to use them with my Mjolnir on the cheap.  ~$25 for the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back