Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #556 of 9,320
Quote:
Very interesting comments. I keep hearing "fun". Music is fun.

But "brighter than a HD598" kinda worries me..

HD598 is too lush and soft for my taste.  HD-700 has that HD-800 magic without being gear picky.  Try the new Daft Punk album on the HD700 and you will be wowed.  Go back to any HD below it will be like stepping back in time to a darker past. :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #557 of 9,320
Quote:

HD598 is too lush and soft for my taste.

I find them on the bright side.

Also, the leakage factor rules them out for me...and way too pricey. I am considering the AKG K267 Testicle instead.

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #558 of 9,320
Quote:

I find them on the bright side.

Also, the leakage factor rules them out for me...and way too pricey. I am considering the AKG K267 Testicle instead.

O.o" Testicle?

Also isn't the K267 way more expensive than the HD598?

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #559 of 9,320
Sorry, I meant the HD700 is way too pricey.....the K267 and HD598 are about the same price in Canada...$349.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #560 of 9,320
Quote:
Sorry, I meant the HD700 is way too pricey.....the K267 and HD598 are about the same price in Canada...$349.

I see, yeah they are not cheap at all,
Well the here it's RM1699 (~$550) vs RM1050 (~$300) 
blink.gif
 odd.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #561 of 9,320
Quote:

HD598 is too lush and soft for my taste.  HD-700 has that HD-800 magic without being gear picky.  Try the new Daft Punk album on the HD700 and you will be wowed.  Go back to any HD below it will be like stepping back in time to a darker past. :)

I find the HD-700 gear picky, although not as much as the HD-800
wink_face.gif

Did some testing with different amps and dacs. The following where used.

Amps:
Vioelectric V100
Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII (OPA209 OP AMP)
O2

DACs:
Meridian Explorer (Chipset: Texas Instruments PCM5102)
ODAC (Chipset: ESS Sabre ES9023)
iBasso D7 Sidewinder (Chipset: Wolfson WM8740)

O2 + ODAC:
Works OK. Somewhat sharp treble (imo), otherwise ok balance.

V100 + ODAC:
Same as with O2+ODAC, but as it is a more powerful amp there is more punch.

V100 + Meridian Explorer:
A little better than the O2/V100+ODAC combo as in less sharp treble.

Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII + Meridian Explorer:
Didn't like this combo, very sharp treble. Made the HD-700 seems very V-shaped in signature.

V100 + iBasso D7 Sidewinder
This is my favorite combo. The dac (Wolfson chipset) gives it a darker signature which tames the sharp treble and removes some of the coldness experienced with neutral dacs/amps. Of course the treble is still very forward but in a better way (imo), very detailed and smooth.

Conclusion:
I find the HD-700 perform its best out of a warmer dac and probably a warmer amp (imo). V100 is considered neutral perhaps just a slight hint of warmth. O2 / UHA-6S.MKII are very neutral and I didn't like them with the HD-700 in other words I have some problems with it's sound signature in its original form. The warmness of the Wolfson dac takes care of that problem for me. Haven't tried tubes but I'm sure those can also work well with the HD-700.

Those of you that like the HD-700 - what amps and dacs are you using with it?

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #563 of 9,320
New notes to my previous post. While I like the treble a lot when using the iBasso D7 and the sound in general (very musical, something I can listen to for hours without fatigue) I sense that there is a steep bass rolloff starting at 50Hz so sub bass has a negative impact, sometimes I wish there would be more punch. Also soundstage seems slightly smaller.

Will try a different dac later, CEntrance DACport LX (Chipset: AKM4396), don't have it at hand as of now. Could be a good match as I remember that having a smooth treble as well.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #567 of 9,320
Quote:
I use “Adioquest Dragonfly” as a DAC/Amp.  I’m looking for a desktop amplifier for my HD700, going to use the DragonFly as a DAC.  Any suggestion please?

Lehmann Audio Rhinelander :)

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #568 of 9,320

How will my Apogee Duet (Mac/IOS version) work with the HD700?
I won't be getting another amp in the foreseeable future, so my next headphone purchase needs to be a good match with the Duet. 
Thanks!

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #569 of 9,320
In short - the HD700 are excellent phones that will be even better once you get yourself a proper tube amp.
The bass has a punch/kick more than other headphones, still clean bass and almost neutral. The mids are really nice, with a good mastering/recording and a proper amp they are just about right/neutral and liquid. The mid-treble/treble is where things start getting naughty with a solid state amp, you really need a tube amp or else sibilance is what you'll hear. The imaging is a thing where you either love it or hate it, these headphones put a lot of distance and space feeling in the music, they are not as forward as HD600/650. Instrument separation is excellent in this regard.
One thing that I don't really like with these headphones is at least the part where watching movies with them doesn't feel right they are not meant for movies.
Also very important to mention is the comfort level, these headphones are properly comfortable, I can wear them for hours at a time and not feel anything.

Overall I think they are worth the asking price, to tame them you need a proper amp, DAC doesn't matter as much as the AMP, if you don't have a tube amp, you might not really like these. I actually don't have a tube amp myself, yet, at least... but I've heard them through a tube amp, and they make things really fun. So yeah, they are picky with amps type.

I'd give them a 8/10, just because the LCD-2's are so much better in terms of neutrality and musicality.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #570 of 9,320
  In short - the HD700 are excellent phones that will be even better once you get yourself a proper tube amp.
The bass has a punch/kick more than other headphones, still clean bass and almost neutral. The mids are really nice, with a good mastering/recording and a proper amp they are just about right/neutral and liquid. The mid-treble/treble is where things start getting naughty with a solid state amp, you really need a tube amp or else sibilance is what you'll hear. The imaging is a thing where you either love it or hate it, these headphones put a lot of distance and space feeling in the music, they are not as forward as HD600/650. Instrument separation is excellent in this regard.
One thing that I don't really like with these headphones is at least the part where watching movies with them doesn't feel right they are not meant for movies.
Also very important to mention is the comfort level, these headphones are properly comfortable, I can wear them for hours at a time and not feel anything.

Overall I think they are worth the asking price, to tame them you need a proper amp, DAC doesn't matter as much as the AMP, if you don't have a tube amp, you might not really like these. I actually don't have a tube amp myself, yet, at least... but I've heard them through a tube amp, and they make things really fun. So yeah, they are picky with amps type.

I'd give them a 8/10, just because the LCD-2's are so much better in terms of neutrality and musicality. 

IMO, the sound quality of  HD700 is as same as LCD-2, they have completely different sound signatures though.  I like the HD700 even with the DragonFly DAC/Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back