Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,416 of 9,320
For deal hunters and silent thread lurkers, here are some crazy good deals on the HD 700.

Some Sonic Electronix stuff:

HD700 for $429.95
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_77116_Sennheiser-HD700.html

(...)

Breaking news! Amazon just price matched Sonic Electronix's price for the HD 700. The current price for them is now $429.95.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-700-Headphone-Black/dp/B0070U8KSM

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #5,417 of 9,320
  For deal hunters and silent thread lurkers, here are some crazy good deals on the HD 700.

Sonic is out of stock and amazon is back up to $499

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #5,420 of 9,320

I've been listening balanced with the Oppo HA-1 amplifier lately and I think that's the best amp I've tried yet with the HD700's.  It's a very smooth, balanced amp and for $1200.00 the sound and build quality are unbelievable.  You would guess it's a $3000 amp.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #5,421 of 9,320

I've been listening balanced with the Oppo HA-1 amplifier lately and I think that's the best amp I've tried yet with the HD700's.  It's a very smooth, balanced amp and for $1200.00 the sound and build quality are unbelievable.  You would guess it's a $3000 amp.

Just out of interest and because I was thinking about this what cable are you using please? 

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #5,423 of 9,320

Just out of interest and because I was thinking about this what cable are you using please? 

Using the Sennheiser balanced cable to the phones and Nordost Heimdall balanced interconnects.

Great, thanks donlin. I have a balanced set up for my HD800s with the Sennheiser cable and it works very well, which is why I had been thinking about the 700s but I am mainly using them with my desktop system and its quite an additional expense relative to the price of the 700s. I was hoping you had discovered a cheaper alternative!!!

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #5,424 of 9,320
  Great, thanks donlin. I have a balanced set up for my HD800s with the Sennheiser cable and it works very well, which is why I had been thinking about the 700s but I am mainly using them with my desktop system and its quite an additional expense relative to the price of the 700s. I was hoping you had discovered a cheaper alternative!!!

I actually did try a cheaper, Chinese balanced cable from ebay but it sounds terrible.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5,425 of 9,320
Just realised something funny today. I've been listening to music with inverted channels for a few months. my stupid RCA to 3.5mm cable had the red/white colours wrong 
blink.gif

Only realised it when i decided to listen to some classical after such a long time and found the instrument placements to be quite weird...panicked and thought my HD700s were faulty 
happy_face1.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,426 of 9,320
  Just realised something funny today. I've been listening to music with inverted channels for a few months. my stupid RCA to 3.5mm cable had the red/white colours wrong 
blink.gif

Only realised it when i decided to listen to some classical after such a long time and found the instrument placements to be quite weird...panicked and thought my HD700s were faulty 
happy_face1.gif

At least you didn't think your brain was upside down 
o2smile.gif

Truth is something similar happened to me recently. ln my case, l listened for a week with inverted channels, as well. l was amazed as how different the music sounded with the new amp 
wink.gif
 Silly me... Until l listened to a song l know very well which has a sound like 'someone knocking on a door'. The sound is on the right channel, it was on the left. l was like: OMG, sounds also come from different directions? Checked it out. l was obviously wrong. The cable that goes from my Fiio X3 to the amp has inverted colours. Anyway, l swope the connection and fixed it.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #5,427 of 9,320

At least you didn't think your brain was upside down 
o2smile.gif

Truth is something similar happened to me recently. ln my case, l listened for a week with inverted channels, as well. l was amazed as how different the music sounded with the new amp 
wink.gif
 Silly me... Until l listened to a song l know very well which has a sound like 'someone knocking on a door'. The sound is on the right channel, it was on the left. l was like: OMG, sounds also come from different directions? Checked it out. l was obviously wrong. The cable that goes from my Fiio X3 to the amp has inverted colours. Anyway, l swope the connection and fixed it.

HAHA yeah it's all good now. Lately, my Grados are starting to enjoy longer rest periods. Don't know if that's a good thing 
happy_face1.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #5,428 of 9,320
  HAHA yeah it's all good now. Lately, my Grados are starting to enjoy longer rest periods. Don't know if that's a good thing 
happy_face1.gif

+1 ... since acquiring my HD-700s, I've not spent much time with my Grados (still like them, however).

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #5,429 of 9,320
Hello to all :) My first post here but I have been following this fantastic forum for a long time :) Always super helpful.

I would like to share my own impression of the HD700 and also hope for some feedback.

I had the HD700 for over a year and have been driving them with my Asus Sonar STX II sound card. I listen to music, watch movies and occasionally game. Through this setup the HD700 have been smooth, detailed and never fatiguing. The bass was somewhat light but very well defined. What changed? ... I recently acquired a Naim Dac V1 primarily to use in my main Hi Fi setup but also for using with the HD700. I used the Naim for a month before plugging in the HD700. To my surprise and slight shock... when I use the Naim with the HD700 I get a bit of the hot treble that a lot of reviewers report. Should I assume this is due to the two spikes in the high frequencies? Some EDM and electro music does give me a bit of discomfort. Not huge but I suspect it might become fatiguing over long listening sessions. I am not sure what to conclude from this... Is the Naim Dac showing the dreaded treble spikes that have been reported for the HD700? If so then I guess I have two options: i) keep the HD700 and use them with the Asus sound card only, or ii) change the HD700 for some headphones with a more flat frequency response.

Any experiences or impressions about this?

Many thanks
John

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #5,430 of 9,320
Hi John,
For me it wasn't a DAC but the amp that made the treble spikes irritate me.  When I got the HD-700 I was using a Bifrost/Asgard2 setup and the treble spikes were noticeable, a few weeks later my GF got me a Project Ember amp and it made all the difference in the world, no more treble spikes and an amp that works well with many headphones, my LCD2, HE-560, Grado RS2e, HD-700, TH-600, SRH-1840 and others.  Other amps I have tried with the HD-700 are a Lyr2, BH Crack, headphone jacks of Teac UD-301 and AH-01, the BH Crack works quite well, the Lyr2 just okay, wouldn't use either the UD-301 or AH-01, too bright.
I also have a Xonar STX and DG sound cards and they work really well, much better than the chipsets built into most motherboards.  Just tried the HD-700 with the Xonar DG, not bad but sounds a little lifeless compared to using a external DAC and amp.  (don't have the STX card right not, son has it in his computer)

Hope his helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back