Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #3,586 of 6,500
My ears are bad, I honestly can't tell a big difference between them in terms of technical performance. And I'm not joking saying bad ears. Years of way too loud music and firearm use without hearing protection has left my ears in bad shape. Left ear rings non-stop and the right on/off. I took a test a year or two ago and stopped hearing around 12k-ish. And honestly after 10k it barely registered, especially on the left side. So for me personally, I view them as more or less equivalents, with the major difference being tuning/intent. Studio vs hi-fi, if you will. I know some of you guys in the 30 forum work with audio and understand those aspects better, so I defer that detail/info, I'm not capable.
Sorry to hear that - If you have Tinnitus as well, then I'm also sorry, I know how it feels as I've had it since I can think. It's thankfully so mild that I can ignore it most of the time (took me a long time learning to cope though) and I think my hearing is totally fine still. But to this day just as an example I will not get why concerts and such have to be so god damn loud. I'd easily enjoy the experience a lot more actually if it was a few DB more quiet, it would still be visceral enough.

But not to get too much off-topic, the NDH-30 may just as well replace the Pro 700's as they make my tinnitus worse for sure, pretty sure due to the closed back nature and mild treble spike.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #3,587 of 6,500
My ears are bad, I honestly can't tell a big difference between them in terms of technical performance. And I'm not joking saying bad ears. Years of way too loud music and firearm use without hearing protection has left my ears in bad shape. Left ear rings non-stop and the right on/off. I took a test a year or two ago and stopped hearing around 12k-ish. And honestly after 10k it barely registered, especially on the left side. So for me personally, I view them as more or less equivalents, with the major difference being tuning/intent. Studio vs hi-fi, if you will. I know some of you guys in the 30 forum work with audio and understand those aspects better, so I defer that detail/info, I'm not capable.
So important to keep your ears healthy. I think we should have a session at every canjam on ear health and hearing protection. Take care of your ears.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #3,588 of 6,500
Thanks again. I hate myself a bit for giving in so easily to expensive purchases (but hey I'm young and live alone with just two cats), but I ordered the NDH 30 as well now. Love comfy headphones and if they offer a different but similar signature to the S2, hey that also sounds great. Appreciate your response! :)
haha i'm old with two kids and still do the same! all those crazy NDH30 pushers got me to try their drug too. But I'm glad I did, I do honestly love it. Though I lean towards hi-fi listening, I do like to cleanse the palate with a nice neutral set and listen to music unfiltered. that's where the 30 shines. It's an honest view into the music, and at a very high level. It's like taking the HD600's neutrality, and injecting it with a modern dose of technical performance. I do have bad ears, but i do register things being clearer and easier to discern on the 30 vs other sets (especially the older 600/650, which are hazy in comparison). I hope you like it, I think it's an excellent set.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,589 of 6,500
I know you will probably repeat it for a long time as a fact, but you always forget to add "for my taste". And in a year or two you tweet a new song...
I don’t change gear very often, usually every 5-10yrs if not longer.

If you have different views about the 2 cans please do share.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,590 of 6,500
I know you will probably repeat it for a long time as a fact, but you always forget to add "for my taste". And in a year or two you tweet a new song...
I'm also honestly very very guilty of entirely changing my mind in terms of what "taste of headphone" I may currently enjoy. But it's very important to know that this is still just that, a taste, my taste, not something of actual substance. Especially seeing how quickly my own opinions can shift in terms of what I love sound wise - Unless a specific driver is of course technically vastly superior to another but even then I'd argue that this doesn't mean amazing sound either of course.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #3,591 of 6,500
So important to keep your ears healthy. I think we should have a session at every canjam on ear health and hearing protection. Take care of your ears.
Amen. When you're young you think you're invincible. Then you look back and say What was I thinking!!!!!!!!! :) I was young and dumb, and now I'm paying the price.

Oh i saw you added to your other comment about some would like the 650 over the Utopia.... I'm one of them hahahaha. The Utopia was too bright for me, and aggrivated my tinnitus quickly. The 650's hazy/smooth nature never fatigues me. That's why if I had to sell everything and just keep one headphone, I would keep the 650. It's fun and non-offensive. Crazy talk, I know.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #3,592 of 6,500
haha i'm old with two kids and still do the same! all those crazy NDH30 pushers got me to try their drug too. But I'm glad I did, I do honestly love it. Though I lean towards hi-fi listening, I do like to cleanse the palate with a nice neutral set and listen to music unfiltered. that's where the 30 shines. It's an honest view into the music, and at a very high level. It's like taking the HD600's neutrality, and injecting it with a modern dose of technical performance. I do have bad ears, but i do register things being clearer and easier to discern on the 30 vs other sets (especially the older 600/650, which are hazy in comparison). I hope you like it, I think it's an excellent set.
Aw man now you're really hyping me! But honestly as well, no matter my age and hearing I really hope I'll always have the resources to try pretty much any headphone perhaps nothing too crazy over 1-2k$ but still. I feel rather privileged to have that option and now I'm even more excited to compare them! The NDH 30 acting like the ginger to cleanse the sushi taste is something I'm excited to experience myself, but I totally get it already owning the 700's, although again they're just a bit too hot for me. (Even though I do lover ginger :wink:)

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #3,593 of 6,500
Sorry to hear that - If you have Tinnitus as well, then I'm also sorry, I know how it feels as I've had it since I can think. It's thankfully so mild that I can ignore it most of the time (took me a long time learning to cope though) and I think my hearing is totally fine still. But to this day just as an example I will not get why concerts and such have to be so god damn loud. I'd easily enjoy the experience a lot more actually if it was a few DB more quiet, it would still be visceral enough.

But not to get too much off-topic, the NDH-30 may just as well replace the Pro 700's as they make my tinnitus worse for sure, pretty sure due to the closed back nature and mild treble spike.
Yep got tinnitus pretty good. The Dr said moderate given my overall hearing, but there are days it's almost too distracting to think. Like an air compressor going off in my ear. Thankfully the NDH30 does not bother my tinnitus at all. The 700 Pro X is mostly tolerable, but can become fatiguing on longer sessions (over an hour or more). I love the 700 on tubes, tames the treble nicely. Same with the 30. The 30 on tubes really resonates for me. It takes that analytical tilt but injects just a touch of warmth, making it more like the S2, but better balanced. The S2 is just plain fun, IMO. It was intended to be more musical than analytical, and it shows. I find the S2 and 30 to be excellent compliments to each other, as they sound so different.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #3,596 of 6,500
Thanks again. I hate myself a bit for giving in so easily to expensive purchases (but hey I'm young and live alone with just two cats****), but I ordered the NDH 30 as well now. Love comfy headphones and if they offer a different but similar signature to the S2, hey that also sounds great. Appreciate your response! :)
**** if the cats figure out that you have $$ to spare, 😳😳😫😫….

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #3,598 of 6,500
For any HQPlayer fans out there...I think I found something that sounds incredible with the HD660S2. A lot of my thoughts are similar to another person regarding the below filter: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/which-hqp-filter-are-you-using/6061/3332

This is regarding the filter: poly-sinc-gauss-long. It sounds incredible with these headphones and I strongly recommend it. Not sure if it comes down to the dac, but wow. It does a great job of spacing the sounds and everything seamlessly mixing, and voices in the mix are also amazing. Sounds like a direct upgrade to my HD600 now where before I was thinking about possible trade offs between this and the HD600. I haven't tried every genre of music yet, but loving everything so far.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #3,599 of 6,500
So, I've been monitoring this thread now for a few weeks and Monday decided to take the plunge on the S2. I've got a pair of original 660S and have enjoyed them when I wanted to put on my full size, versus my FH9 IEMs. But, figured there was always something not quite what I was looking for with the 660S, but was willing to settle since I don't use full size that often. The things I like about the FH9 IEMs are an excellent full range of frequencies and very well balanced. I really wanted to find a full size that had a similar signature to these.

I've had the 660S2 in my hands now for 30 minutes and listening for about 10. Didn't think there would be much of a difference to my ears between the 660S and 660S2. Well, I was wrong and should have listened to you all sooner. The 660S2, after 10 minutes, has already filled in what I thought was missing with the 660S. Both ends of the spectrum sound extended with no mud below or headache inducing highs. And the mids, finally have them right where I want them in a full size. Soundstage is excellent. Instrument separation sounds great. I love picking out parts of a larger piece and following along. These seem to be allowing me to do that already.

I can't wait to see how these settle in. For first impressions, I'm seriously impressed. I find my first impressions are usually right on when it comes to headphones. Critical listening is going to be fun, but I'm more excited about just listening and having the music be fun again. These already sound like they're gonna be that.

Caveat 1 - Yes, I've been a Sennheiser fan for a long time and was very close to picking up the 800S or 820, but I don't think I need to do that now (which is what I was hoping for. Spent way too much on headphones/IEMs over the last 20 years and need to tame that beast). I've had HD580, 600, 650, 660S, and multiple IEMs, including the IE800 and IE800S from Sennheiser, but also multiple FIIO IEMS, JH Audio, Sony, etc.
Caveat 2 - Immediately changed over to the 4.4 balanced cable and am running them off my M11Plus ESS. Seem to be getting plenty of power. Gonna jump over to my vinyl later tonight on the home rig and see how they do. I'm thinking these are going to do extremely well.

Music tastes are all over the board from ABBA to Weird Al, Rock to Classical and Jazz. Sting sounds amazing on these.

Thanks for the reviews and recommendations all. So far (now 30 minutes into listening), very happy with this decision.

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #3,600 of 6,500
…. I can't wait to see how these settle in. For first impressions, I'm seriously impressed. I find my first impressions are usually right on when it comes to headphones. Critical listening is going to be fun, but I’m more excited about just listening and having the music be fun again. These already sound like they're gonna be that ….

…. Thanks for the reviews and recommendations all. So far (now 30 minutes into listening), very happy with this decision.
This really caught my attention and made me smile. The way audio should make people feel. Only you 🫵 can cross the canyon from reviews 🤔 to revelry ☺️ !!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back