Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 27, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #3,616 of 6,561
For me the release price of 2400€ was the killer.
Keep in mind there is a 3 to 1 price ratio so one would think the 820 should preform at a higher level, not always the case though.
This right here is the breaker for me. I was originally on the hunt for a closed back so the wife didn't complain about leakage while I listened in the living room. I was thinking "Why not just jump to TOTL instead of the journey and cost of incremental steps". Unfortunately I couldn't, no matter how much I tried, justify $1700 for headphones. The wife is gonna have to complain now :beyersmile:

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #3,617 of 6,561
Interesting Rob. I’ve never found a meaningful comparison between any closed back and open back headphone possible. For me it’s like comparing IEM’s to closed backs or open backs to speakers. They’re just different animals. But that’s just me I suspect.
You might just prefer the 820 to the S2 of course - that’s perfectly legitimate. (Not that I’m giving you permission or anything 😉🤣)
Agreed. I find closed backs to be So inferior to open backs. I love my Radiance headphones, but I don't think they come close to any of my open backs. Of course I have never tried any high end closed backs, so my opinion is a little slanted.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #3,618 of 6,561
Agreed. I find closed backs to be So inferior to open backs. I love my Radiance headphones, but I don't think they come close to any of my open backs. Of course I have never tried any high end closed backs, so my opinion is a little slanted.
That really tells me how much of an anomaly my DT 480 is as I find it better than any open headphone I’ve owned and I generally find the majority of closed backs inferior to open-backs.

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #3,619 of 6,561
For those considering the 820, please make sure that you are able to return it if you are going to try it. There is a well known issue with fit and seal. I sold one for a friend of mine, he really could not get it to fit and seal and he gave up in frustration after trying to get a good fit. I had it on hand for a few weeks myself and I also could not get a proper fit and seal, and I tried. With the poor seal the bass was anemic and the sound very thin and clinical.

I am not saying that this will be your experience, clearly many people find it to fit and seal well for them, but make sure if you are buying it used for example, that you understand that there are certainly enough people out there who have not been able to get an acceptable fit and seal. I have owned the HD800S/650/600 and have an HD700 around, and none of those models gave me any fit and seal problems so it isn't my head shape, per say. And my friend who couldn't get a proper seal, his head shape and size was different than mine so please do your research and preferably buy new so that if you are unable to get a good fit, you can return it.
I initially had a seal issue with mine, it's a very real issue with this set. I had to bend the metal band a bit (carefully! it held up but felt a bit fragile when applying force) to increase clamp. I also had to wear it with the headband sitting slightly back on my head. if a normal set sits across the very top of your head, imagine grabbing the ear cups and rotating them from front to back, tilting the headphone back slightly, so the band moves towards the rear of your head. once i fiddled with the band and figured out the angle that sealed best on my head, it was ok. But as you described, at first with a broken seal it was very thin and anemic sounding.

I can't remember now if i sold mine to fund something else, or for the sonics, but something about the sound stuck with me, making me want to give it another listen to this day. i'm trying to not spend any $ until Q3 so we'll see how my resolve holds up.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #3,620 of 6,561
That really tells me how much of an anomaly my DT 480 is as I find it better than any open headphone I’ve owned and I generally find the majority of closed backs inferior to open-backs.
Maybe more just related to your sound preference? I find my Radiance very balanced and the Cascades a ton of fun. But each one wears thin after a few days. I can wear some of my open backs for a week and more.
Congrats on finding the unicorn! :thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #3,621 of 6,561
I generally do as well, but a few that didn't feel as closed were the HD820, Verite Closed and Atrium Closed. Atrium Closed especially doesn't sound closed at all to me. It's like listening to my HD650 in terms of openness and staging. I know the 650 isn't a big stage, but it usually is sufficient to me, and any closed back equaling or exceeding it is IMO a win.

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #3,622 of 6,561
The HD820 was killed for a lot of people by the frequency graphs, which looked rather wonky. I found in reality it sounded very good. For me the release price of 2400€ was the killer.
Where as the S2 sound precisely as we expect a headphone to sound, 2 speakers one on either side of ones head, Sennheiser have with the HD820 done something rather unique, it's not perfect, and some have voiced that it's rather wonky, and with regards to what one would normally expect from a headphone, it is.
So far I rather like this uniqueness.
For those considering the 820, please make sure that you are able to return it if you are going to try it. There is a well known issue with fit and seal
I mentioned that earlier, sadly the seal will make or break it...that's the great thing about the HD600 series, ear placement is rarely an issue as with the HD800 and the NDH30 and getting a seal is not applicable.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #3,623 of 6,561
I generally do as well, but a few that didn't feel as closed were the HD820, Verite Closed and Atrium Closed. Atrium Closed especially doesn't sound closed at all to me. It's like listening to my HD650 in terms of openness and staging. I know the 650 isn't a big stage, but it usually is sufficient to me, and any closed back equaling or exceeding it is IMO a win.
I completely understand that But I don't see me dropping big bucks on a great closed back set anytime soon. Those headphones in Canada are VERY pricey. In the meantime I am loving my open backs and have decent closed backs when needed.

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #3,624 of 6,561
Maybe more just related to your sound preference? I find my Radiance very balanced and the Cascades a ton of fun. But each one wears thin after a few days. I can wear some of my open backs for a week and more.
Congrats on finding the unicorn! :thumbsup:
Probably as I extensively modified it. The driver is just insanely resolving, detailed, and dynamic. It’s just the midrange is another level and doesn’t sound closed at all. Only real weakness sonically is it’s lacking some sub-bass presence, but that’s a problem with the 25 Ohm, I was able to get the 200 ohm version to output plenty of subbass but sadly that pair had a faulty driver. Problems with getting vintage headphones luck of the draw. I don’t use them as much as open backs due to them being sealed and heavy (500g), but sound itself never fatigue me. I use that headphone when I want to analyze or get complete lost in music, I get so engrossed with their sound I sometimes go to bed late without realizing it. Lol. Whereas headphones such as the T1.3 and HD 660S2 are more everyday headphones that I use for everything.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #3,625 of 6,561
I completely understand that But I don't see me dropping big bucks on a great closed back set anytime soon. Those headphones in Canada are VERY pricey. In the meantime I am loving my open backs and have decent closed backs when needed.
That is the major downside, the great closed sets all seem to be on the high cost side. I'm sure there's some affordable sets, now i'm curious what's out there on the closed side I've missed. There must be some sub-4 figure closed sets with an open sound.

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #3,626 of 6,561
Agreed. I find closed backs to be So inferior to open backs.
I would say different, I grew up with closed backed and it wasn't until acquiring Sennheisers HD414 that I could finally relinquish my Koss Pro AAs. : )
....... I don't see me dropping big bucks on a great closed back set anytime soon.
I felt the same way.... until Covid, having family home 24-7 changed that and now I appreciate blocking out external noises, fridge, air conditioning, humidifiers, noisy neighbours... ah.

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #3,627 of 6,561
I would say different, I grew up with closed backed and it wasn't until acquiring Sennheisers HD414 that I could finally relinquish my Koss Pro AAs. : )

I felt the same way.... until Covid, having family home 24-7 changed that and now I appreciate blocking out external noises, fridge, air conditioning, humidifiers, noisy neighbours... ah.
Since the majority of my listening is while working in noisy office no amount is too much for good sound and good isolation.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #3,629 of 6,561
Since the majority of my listening is while working in noisy office no amount is too much for good sound and good isolation.
But if you're wearing quality headphones and listening to music you're not working. lol
I would just get noise cancelling, silence is bliss until someone raps on your head with their knuckles to get your attention.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #3,630 of 6,561
But if you're wearing quality headphones and listening to music you're not working. lol
I would just get noise cancelling, silence is bliss until someone raps on your head with their knuckles to get your attention.
haha if my boss only knew how good i am at looking like i'm intently working but in reality intently enjoying the music i'm listening to :) And if she only knew how much audio gear i have stashed behind my desk out of sight. :)

i tried noise cancelling and lesser headphones for work, but i just enjoy a good set too too much to compromise. even if i'm only half listening, i like it to sound amazing. i miss my old job where i had my own office, i could bring open sets to work and close my door. and there were other audio lovers there too so no one blinked an eye at me bringing in giant tube amps and dacs for my headphones! too bad covid killed their revenue, i loved that company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back