Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #3,601 of 6,561
Again with the "coloured" and "warmer" terms. You are making me want to try these bad. :smile:

I have owned seven pairs of Senn headphones and if I had to use one word to describe any of them, it would not be coloured, warm, fun or bassy.
More like smooth, neutral , transparent, etc.

Hmmmm...
Do it! 8th time is the charm! :dt880smile:

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #3,602 of 6,561
Do it! 8th time is the charm! :dt880smile:
What's that old joke about the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. :smile:

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #3,603 of 6,561
was very close to picking up the 800S or 820, but I don't think I need to do that now (which is what I was hoping for.
Interestingly...the S2 did put my HD800S on the sidelines.... but my recent HD820, which I intended on using when needing a closed phone, have now done the same with my S2s (temporarily though :wink:)....technically so far IMHO the 820 do have a cleaner driver, fuller sound and deeper and more authoritative base and relatively speaking a wide deep sound stage.
I've been fortunate with the HD820 fit so really content with their performance and getting immersed in the music but they are not to everyone's liking so really a try before you buy.....but the HD660S no such problem. :)
Spent way too much on headphones
Funny how that happens... :slight_frown:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #3,604 of 6,561
Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 6.23.22 PM.png
https://tidal.com/browse/album/12189261

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #3,605 of 6,561
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #3,606 of 6,561
Interestingly...the S2 did put my HD800S on the sidelines.... but my recent HD820, which I intended on using when needing a closed phone, have now done the same with my S2s (temporarily though :wink:)....technically so far IMHO the 820 do have a cleaner driver, fuller sound and deeper and more authoritative base and relatively speaking a wide deep sound stage.
I've been fortunate with the HD820 fit so really content with their performance and getting immersed in the music but they are not to everyone's liking so really a try before you buy.....but the HD660S no such problem. :)

Funny how that happens... :slight_frown:
Interesting Rob. I’ve never found a meaningful comparison between any closed back and open back headphone possible. For me it’s like comparing IEM’s to closed backs or open backs to speakers. They’re just different animals. But that’s just me I suspect.
You might just prefer the 820 to the S2 of course - that’s perfectly legitimate. (Not that I’m giving you permission or anything 😉🤣)

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #3,607 of 6,561
Interesting Rob. I’ve never found a meaningful comparison between any closed back and open back headphone possible. For me it’s like comparing IEM’s to closed backs or open backs to speakers. They’re just different animals. But that’s just me I suspect.
You might just prefer the 820 to the S2 of course - that’s perfectly legitimate. (Not that I’m giving you permission or anything 😉🤣)
The Sony Z1R is also comparable to any open headphone even to the HD800. I has a very special cup construction to be like that. I compared it to the HD820 and preferred the bass on the Sony back in the day. Now I prefer the bass and erverything else but the soundstage on the HD660S2 to the Sony. Actually the HD660S2 renders the Z1R obsolete now.
@Rob80b when will you finally remove the ugly red stickers from the HD820?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #3,608 of 6,561
The Sony Z1R is also comparable to any open headphone even to the HD800. I has a very special cup construction to be like that. I compared it to the HD820 and preferred the bass on the Sony back in the day. Now I prefer the bass and erverything else but the soundstage on the HD660S2 to the Sony. Actually the HD660S2 renders the Z1R obsolete now.
@Rob80b when will you finally remove the ugly red stickers from the HD820?
I imagine that it’s simply the case that I haven’t ever heard a closed back that’s quite on that level. I was extremely close to buying the Sony at one point I have to admit. But, as you know, I have another headphone which has rendered everything else obsolete! 😉

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #3,610 of 6,561
The Sony Z1R is also comparable to any open headphone even to the HD800.

I’ve never found a meaningful comparison between any closed back and open back headphone possible.
The AKG K872, relatively speaking, do not sound like a closed back at all and are almost identical to their open back sibling the K812 except the 872 have slightly fuller base and more forgiving highs and of course the sound isolation.

I’ve never found a meaningful comparison between any closed back and open back headphone possible.
With regards to the HD800S and the 820, unlike the AKGs, these 2 are quite different.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #3,611 of 6,561
You might just prefer the 820 to the S2 of course - that’s perfectly legitimate.
Nothing to be taken away from the S2, the HD820 are just the newer kid on my block. : )

Just to add...interestingly I'm finding more similarities between the S2 and 820 than the 820 with the 800S.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #3,612 of 6,561
Nothing to be taken away from the S2, the HD820 are just the newer kid on my block. : )

Just to add...interestingly I'm finding more similarities between the S2 and 820 than the 820 with the 800S.
You're making me want to revisit the 820 now! How do you find the midrange on the 820 vs the S2? From bad audio memory I remember being slightly turned off by the mids, but now I can't remember why or what bothered me. My system is totally different now and I'm thinking much more synergistic for the 820...

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #3,613 of 6,561
You're making me want to revisit the 820 now! How do you find the midrange on the 820 vs the S2? From bad audio memory I remember being slightly turned off by the mids, but now I can't remember why or what bothered me. My system is totally different now and I'm thinking much more synergistic for the 820...
The HD820 was killed for a lot of people by the frequency graphs, which looked rather wonky. I found in reality it sounded very good. For me the release price of 2400€ was the killer.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #3,614 of 6,561
You're making me want to revisit the 820 now! How do you find the midrange on the 820 vs the S2?
As good as some of us find the S2 midrange, for me the 820 (remember its pedigree) has slightly more dimensionality (better resolve of delicate harmonics?) and higher quality and is pulled back more, staging sitting somewhere between the HD800S and the S2. Although I mentioned the S2 and 820 share somewhat similar tonality, the S2 is still warmer, more intimate and while showing some layering more 2 dimensional in its presentation, the 820 to me sounding overall more sophisticated on its delivery, there just appears to be more happening.
Keep in mind there is a 3 to 1 price ratio so one would think the 820 should preform at a higher level, not always the case though.
Without direct comparisons the S2 IMHO is still a very fine headphone and the HD820 could be an acquired taste.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #3,615 of 6,561
For those considering the 820, please make sure that you are able to return it if you are going to try it. There is a well known issue with fit and seal. I sold one for a friend of mine, he really could not get it to fit and seal and he gave up in frustration after trying to get a good fit. I had it on hand for a few weeks myself and I also could not get a proper fit and seal, and I tried. With the poor seal the bass was anemic and the sound very thin and clinical.

I am not saying that this will be your experience, clearly many people find it to fit and seal well for them, but make sure if you are buying it used for example, that you understand that there are certainly enough people out there who have not been able to get an acceptable fit and seal. I have owned the HD800S/650/600 and have an HD700 around, and none of those models gave me any fit and seal problems so it isn't my head shape, per say. And my friend who couldn't get a proper seal, his head shape and size was different than mine so please do your research and preferably buy new so that if you are unable to get a good fit, you can return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back