Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #3,556 of 6,561
Being born in 1960 protected me completely from Metal and most Electronica. My first entry into the world of listening to music was chasing Elton John's Candle in the Wind on the radio with a mono compact casette radio recorder, took me weeks to get it recorded... The first record that I bought was the Blue Beatles album, followed by Bob Dylan's Desire. The closest I got to Metal was Deep Purple Made in Japan. Followe by Ravel's Bolero Berliner Philharmoniker under Seiji Ozawa. And in 1976 I bought my first Sennheiser headphone the legendary HD 414. The avoidance of Metal and Hard Rock most of the time of my adult life saved my hearing for sure.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,557 of 6,561
Despite really enjoying various genres of rock and metal throughout my life, I simply cannot abide listening to any such recordings via headphone anymore. Even the better recordings are punishingly unpleasant at anything over moderate volume, IMO. You get a wall of sound during any busy passages. Shame as I very much enjoy the energy and power of those genres, but man is it a challenging listen through headphones. I can only guess that many people listen at moderate volume where perhaps the wall of sound/mud effect is less pronounced.

See below, but it really does depend on what bands you're into. True, there's generally speaking no way to avoid the aural onslaught when any metal band gets going, but I actually find that with well recorded metal albums I'd prefer to hear them via headphones as I find it easier to discern.

Interesting take re: listening volume, though and there could certainly be something to that. I will occasionally test the structural integrity of my skull with punishing volume, but 95% of the time I'm a low/moderate volume listener.

If you take a closer look at the latest albums released by bands such as Opeth, Porcupine Tree, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside, and Soen, you will quickly notice that these bands are extremely meticulous when it comes to the sound engineering of their albums. But, unlike the aforementioned bands, it's disappointing that Metallica's latest album doesn't live up to the same level of attention to detail in sound engineering.

Agreed; it really depends on the band. Metal has grown to become such a massive genre, and there is the full gamut within the various subgenres in terms of recording quality, both because of budgets and just the intention of the artist.

I agree, the new Metallica album's production quality isn't that good. For such a high profile band with a big budget, this should not be. Thanks for the suggestions, those aren't bands i'm familiar with so I'll be spending the day getting to know them :) I love trying new music! From a production standpoint, my metal standard has always been Tool. Those albums are immaculate (at least to my uneducated ears...).

To be fair, Metallica albums have basically always sounded like crap. I'd actually argue 72 Seasons sounds better than anything they've released since the black album. I also consider them a hard rock band more than a metal band, but that's a whole other can of worms :eyes:

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #3,558 of 6,561
Regarding metal, some of the more modern takes on metal employs a type of guitar distortion that needs to be filtered through a "slow" speaker to be listenable LoL But the most annoying with metal as with many other genres today is the total overuse of compression and loudness maximization. Older metal/hardrock almost sounds like geared for audiophiles compared to a lot of new material.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #3,559 of 6,561
Regarding metal, some of the more modern takes on metal employs a type of guitar distortion that needs to be filtered through a "slow" speaker to be listenable LoL But the most annoying with metal as with many other genres today is the total overuse of compression and loudness maximization. Older metal/hardrock almost sounds like geared for audiophiles compared to a lot of new material.

Absolutely. I don't think it's a metal issue so much as it is a modern mainstream music issue, though. The whole "loudness wars" thing has been well documented, but it also seems like you've got stuff mixed with lower quality streaming, etc in mind.

Most of the metal I listen to does not have this issue, though I don't listen to very much mainstream metal/rock music at all so YMMV. The bigger budget bands that aren't quite household names strike the perfect balance for me. The most recent Sunn O))) (ok, a few years old, but their latest) and Russian Circles albums are excellent examples of lower tuned distorted guitars sounding crisp and defined without being grating. Particularly on the ZMF Atticus and the S2 that filled that slot for me!

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #3,560 of 6,561
Absolutely. I don't think it's a metal issue so much as it is a modern mainstream music issue, though. The whole "loudness wars" thing has been well documented, but it also seems like you've got stuff mixed with lower quality streaming, etc in mind.

Most of the metal I listen to does not have this issue, though I don't listen to very much mainstream metal/rock music at all so YMMV. The bigger budget bands that aren't quite household names strike the perfect balance for me. The most recent Sunn O))) (ok, a few years old, but their latest) and Russian Circles albums are excellent examples of lower tuned distorted guitars sounding crisp and defined without being grating. Particularly on the ZMF Atticus and the S2 that filled that slot for me!
I believe your thoughts are correct, based on genre you are listening to. I have zero experience with Metal, but modern Americana, Jazz, blues, folk, genres are not difficult at all to find well recorded, and engaging music.....

Leo

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #3,561 of 6,561
I am very happy with my new HD660s2, never tried the HD660s, but I prefer it to HD650 and my Sundara. Im going to sell both of them. That extra bass was what I needed and doesnt make some metal genres so dull, while keeping the same comfort and ability to listen music for hours, for me is a worthy improvement. Using Fiio K7 to drive them.

However, I am going to keep my Grado Hemp because its more fun and punchy for short listening sessions and no need for amp.

This sounds so good in HD660s2

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #3,562 of 6,561
I am very happy with my new HD660s2, never tried the HD660s, but I prefer it to HD650 and my Sundara. Im going to sell both of them. That extra bass was what I needed and doesnt make some metal genres so dull, while keeping the same comfort and ability to listen music for hours, for me is a worthy improvement. Using Fiio K7 to drive them.

However, I am going to keep my Grado Hemp because its more fun and punchy for short listening sessions and no need for amp.

Great song \m/

With the HD660S2 and Grado Hemp, you have everything you need to appreciate Metal music.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #3,563 of 6,561

Until you have auditioned the Neumann NDH30s, then your HD660S2s will go for sale.
LOL. I am sorry, just kidding, I am trolling.
But seriously, I'd love to try both NDH30s and HD660S2s. The NDH30s for their supposed holographic soundstage, the HD660s for apparently being like improved HD650s.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #3,564 of 6,561
Until you have auditioned the Neumann NDH30s, then your HD660S2s will go for sale.
But seriously, I'd love to try both NDH30s and HD660S2s. The NDH30s for their supposed holographic soundstage, the HD660s for apparently being like improved HD650s.
I happen to also own the HD800s (maybe there is no point for getting NDH30 because of it), the reason why i wanted HD660s2 is because the comfort and ability to listen for so many hours without getting tired both from the weight of the headphone (sundara fks me up in this regard) or from my ears fatigue, while still having more punch than the HD650.

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #3,565 of 6,561
Oh man you're evil haha. I love it though, good fun. I own both so I have to comment as this one hits home for me. The OP was alluding to the S2 and Hemp being fun listens, engaging if you will. So far from a fun standpoint, especially for metal/rock, I think the S2 is the more enjoyable set so far. Just my opinion, don't shoot me. But as good as the NDH30 has been, it's still a more analytical listen vs the S2's more colored and warmer listen. I personally like that added coloration for everyday listening, and especially for metal and rock. The NDH30 comes accross ever so slightly bright and thin in comparison. I'm not saying it's bright and thin in a vacuum, just in direct comparison and for specific genres. And rock/metal tends to be poorly produced, which the NDH30 is less forgiving of. That added warmth of the S2 masks some of that poor production quality. The NDH30 lays it bare. I know some prefer that honest insight into the music, but for me for general every day listening, it can be too much. Now with high production quality tracks then my opinions will be different. But for rock and metal, well the S2...rocks! :) let the war of words begin!

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #3,566 of 6,561
Great song \m/

With the HD660S2 and Grado Hemp, you have everything you need to appreciate Metal music.
If you can try an Atrium Closed...my gawd that thing is a raucous metal monster! Not as balanced sonically as the S2 but who cares, for metal it's all about the energy, and that thing is raw energy between your ears. I'm only being slightly silly though, it's a legit metal headphone every metalhead should strive to test at least once. It's tuning won't be for everyone, but wooo talk about fun! That being said, the S2 and Grados (I have a 325X) are also killer metal headphones. Call me crazy but I actually like the S2 more than the 325x for metal, the added bass slam is powerful and really pushes the energy of the music.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #3,567 of 6,561
If you can try an Atrium Closed...my gawd that thing is a raucous metal monster! Not as balanced sonically as the S2 but who cares, for metal it's all about the energy, and that thing is raw energy between your ears. I'm only being slightly silly though, it's a legit metal headphone every metalhead should strive to test at least once. It's tuning won't be for everyone, but wooo talk about fun! That being said, the S2 and Grados (I have a 325X) are also killer metal headphones. Call me crazy but I actually like the S2 more than the 325x for metal, the added bass slam is powerful and really pushes the energy of the music.
My personal favorite headphone for metal is the T1.3, the bass it has, the vivid dynamics, and the raw energy it has. I like the HD 660S2 with metal but imho the T1.3 is the metal king of my headphones, the Beyers just have an vividness, drive, and energy to them you don't find in Senns but it does it without bothering your ears in the treble. It is colored so definitely not for everyone. I have yet to hear any of the ZMF headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #3,568 of 6,561
Oh man you're evil haha. I love it though, good fun. I own both so I have to comment as this one hits home for me. The OP was alluding to the S2 and Hemp being fun listens, engaging if you will. So far from a fun standpoint, especially for metal/rock, I think the S2 is the more enjoyable set so far. Just my opinion, don't shoot me. But as good as the NDH30 has been, it's still a more analytical listen vs the S2's more colored and warmer listen. I personally like that added coloration for everyday listening, and especially for metal and rock. The NDH30 comes accross ever so slightly bright and thin in comparison. I'm not saying it's bright and thin in a vacuum, just in direct comparison and for specific genres. And rock/metal tends to be poorly produced, which the NDH30 is less forgiving of. That added warmth of the S2 masks some of that poor production quality. The NDH30 lays it bare. I know some prefer that honest insight into the music, but for me for general every day listening, it can be too much. Now with high production quality tracks then my opinions will be different. But for rock and metal, well the S2...rocks! :) let the war of words begin!
Again with the "coloured" and "warmer" terms. You are making me want to try these bad. :smile:

I have owned seven pairs of Senn headphones and if I had to use one word to describe any of them, it would not be coloured, warm, fun or bassy.
More like smooth, neutral , transparent, etc.

Hmmmm...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #3,570 of 6,561
Again with the "coloured" and "warmer" terms. You are making me want to try these bad. :smile:

I have owned seven pairs of Senn headphones and if I had to use one word to describe any of them, it would not be coloured, warm, fun or bassy.
More like smooth, neutral , transparent, etc.

Hmmmm...
To help clarify, I think of the HD650 as warm and colored. Not by a large margin, but still north of neutral. The S2 is tonally similar, hence the warm/colored comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back