Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 24, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #3,541 of 6,560
@Rob80b great album selections. I also use Tidal although I am more than happy with the 320mp3 tier of quality. Used to pay for the tier above, but now that I exclusively stream Bluetooth for either headphone or speaker listening, 320 quality is audibly transparent to these ears. I really like Tidal and have been using them as my streaming service almost since day one. Never was tempted away yet as the Tidal interface is great I find and I very much enjoy the catalogue. I do hear good things about Spotify in terms of predicting new music for their users, but Tidal is also doing well by me when I do use that feature.

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #3,542 of 6,560
Nice share! You got me though. I was listening to Braxton, enjoying some nice Jazz, then switched over to Chem Bros assuming more Jazz....NOT! :) Made me sit up when the bass hit!

Really enjoying this one
1682378460246.png
Ha ha, nope the Chemical Brothers are certainly not jazz. If you want to enjoy some more great electronic music I would suggest that you check out Pitch Black. They are a duo from New Zealand.

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #3,543 of 6,560
For me that's a big yes. I own both the 650 and S2, and i also find the 650 a bit too soft and laid back for rock/metal. The S2 is much faster, is more dynamic, with harder hitting transients, and more air and presence up top. Overall I have found the S2 to be an excellent match for rock/metal with it's speed and overall engaging/fun tuning. I actually seek it out quite often for those genres. For example I've been digesting Metallica's new album, and so far my favorite headphones for it are the S2 and Atrium Closed. I like the S2 for it's complete package, it does everything very well with no major weaknesses. The AC isn't as balanced from a macro standpoint, but ups the fun factor and dynamics a few notches, making it a massive kick in the balls for metal (in a good way!).

EDIT - I see you have an Eikon in your lineup. I would say it's pretty similar to the Eikon with a bit more speed. But same warm hard hitting dynamics and engaging tuning. It might also be a bit redundant with the Eikon though. If you don't mind that, it's worth a listen IMO.
Now I'm definitely interested

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #3,544 of 6,560
Apr 24, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #3,546 of 6,560
Man, you have ridiculously varied tastes. I love it :)
Don't laugh...here a playlist Tidal generated for me....lol.....but I usually listen to full albums though. ......it's all music. : )
Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 10.10.32 PM.png

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #3,547 of 6,560
Another published review...(didn't see it posted)

https://www.stereonet.com/sg/reviews/sennheiser-hd-660s2-over-ear-headphones-review

Punch line...

"THE VERDICT

Another great pair of headphones from Sennheiser, the HD 660S2 ticks all the boxes in terms of sound quality, build and overall ease of use. It may not be the world’s most dramatically styled design, or the most lavishly finished, but its sheer all round quality more than makes up for this. Better still, it’s positioned at an affordable price point that makes it hard to justify the existence of headphones with silly prices."

It's funny, because in a way I think the price is the best and worst thing about the S2. The sticker shock after being so conditioned that headphones in the 6X0 wrapper cost under $600CAD for however many years vs the $800CAD tag on these is real. At the same time, I just sold off the last of my higher priced headphones because the S2 exist. I'd hardly call it affordable, but they do punch above their weight to my ears.

I've also been really impressed with how well the HD660S2 handle Metal music. I've found that the HD660S2 offer a more lively and dynamic sound compared to my HD6XX, which can sometimes sound sleepy and sluggish when listening to Metal music.

Easily the best of the 6X0 series for metal, or any other heavy/fast/aggressive/loud rock genre, IMO. I like what my 650 do to round off the edges on a lot of the horribly produced underground metal that I listen to, but they definitely don't have the zip that the S2 do.

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #3,548 of 6,560
Despite really enjoying various genres of rock and metal throughout my life, I simply cannot abide listening to any such recordings via headphone anymore. Even the better recordings are punishingly unpleasant at anything over moderate volume, IMO. You get a wall of sound during any busy passages. Shame as I very much enjoy the energy and power of those genres, but man is it a challenging listen through headphones. I can only guess that many people listen at moderate volume where perhaps the wall of sound/mud effect is less pronounced.

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #3,549 of 6,560
Despite really enjoying various genres of rock and metal throughout my life, I simply cannot abide listening to any such recordings via headphone anymore. Even the better recordings are punishingly unpleasant at anything over moderate volume, IMO. You get a wall of sound during any busy passages. Shame as I very much enjoy the energy and power of those genres, but man is it a challenging listen through headphones. I can only guess that many people listen at moderate volume where perhaps the wall of sound/mud effect is less pronounced.
Do you listen to a 2ch system for those genres? Or just don't listen anymore? I'm trying to understand the wall of sound. I do understand 2ch speakers do busy passages better than headphones (maybe due to the natural crossfeed?), but I don't find headphones that that bad at it. Is it a lack of separation or congestion that's bothering you? I'm not challenging your comments, just curious and trying to understand it better. I'm a huge metal listener myself and like it loud (hence the bad ears!), and do enjoy it on headphones. i agree really busy stuff, especially of poor studio quality, can get rough at times, but I do find resolving headphones to keep it under control quite well. I do prefer my old 2ch setup, but with kiddos that had to go in the closet :frowning2:

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #3,550 of 6,560

If you take a closer look at the latest albums released by bands such as Opeth, Porcupine Tree, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside, and Soen, you will quickly notice that these bands are extremely meticulous when it comes to the sound engineering of their albums. But, unlike the aforementioned bands, it's disappointing that Metallica's latest album doesn't live up to the same level of attention to detail in sound engineering.

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #3,551 of 6,560
Many headphones can get a bit blurred muddy sound when pushed louder during busy passages especially if the recording quality isn’t the best. There are some exceptions that always pierce through the mud regardless of listening level but not many.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #3,552 of 6,560
Do you listen to a 2ch system for those genres? Or just don't listen anymore? I'm trying to understand the wall of sound. I do understand 2ch speakers do busy passages better than headphones (maybe due to the natural crossfeed?), but I don't find headphones that that bad at it. Is it a lack of separation or congestion that's bothering you? I'm not challenging your comments, just curious and trying to understand it better. I'm a huge metal listener myself and like it loud (hence the bad ears!), and do enjoy it on headphones. i agree really busy stuff, especially of poor studio quality, can get rough at times, but I do find resolving headphones to keep it under control quite well. I do prefer my old 2ch setup, but with kiddos that had to go in the closet :frowning2:
Both now, even with my 2.2 speaker rig I find most rock/metal hard to listen to now. I have been a fan of those genres since the 1980s, but now that I have been able to enjoy really well recorded, and engaging music, it is hard to not notice the difference. I know that there can be and are, better rock/metal recordings, but even with those in my experience, once the songs get into busy passages everything gets congested and edgy and the sense of definition and impact from drums (I am a drummer so I tend to notice) gets really washed out into a wall of sound.

I have no doubt there may be exceptions, but in my years they are certainly the exception and not the norm. Maybe your self-proclaimed bad ears are making things seem better than they are? Maybe not. Anyway, it is just a shame as for about the last 4 years I have essentially stopped listening to those genres period. Maybe in a car I might indulge, but never with headphones. I am going to try again though just to see if I am perhaps being unfair or exaggerating. I have to say, after several years of listening to well done electronic music, I think rock and metal will be hard to enjoy from a sonic standpoint. Good electronic music even when turned up can be so powerful and engaging, none of that wall of sound even when things get busy. But that is to be expected in many ways. It is much easier to control digital samples versus recorded instruments being played by real people and picked up by microphones (the clear weak link).

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #3,553 of 6,560
If you take a closer look at the latest albums released by bands such as Opeth, Porcupine Tree, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside, and Soen, you will quickly notice that these bands are extremely meticulous when it comes to the sound engineering of their albums. But, unlike the aforementioned bands, it's disappointing that Metallica's latest album doesn't live up to the same level of attention to detail in sound engineering.
I agree, the new Metallica album's production quality isn't that good. For such a high profile band with a big budget, this should not be. Thanks for the suggestions, those aren't bands i'm familiar with so I'll be spending the day getting to know them :) I love trying new music! From a production standpoint, my metal standard has always been Tool. Those albums are immaculate (at least to my uneducated ears...).

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #3,554 of 6,560
Both now, even with my 2.2 speaker rig I find most rock/metal hard to listen to now. I have been a fan of those genres since the 1980s, but now that I have been able to enjoy really well recorded, and engaging music, it is hard to not notice the difference. I know that there can be and are, better rock/metal recordings, but even with those in my experience, once the songs get into busy passages everything gets congested and edgy and the sense of definition and impact from drums (I am a drummer so I tend to notice) gets really washed out into a wall of sound.

I have no doubt there may be exceptions, but in my years they are certainly the exception and not the norm. Maybe your self-proclaimed bad ears are making things seem better than they are? Maybe not. Anyway, it is just a shame as for about the last 4 years I have essentially stopped listening to those genres period. Maybe in a car I might indulge, but never with headphones. I am going to try again though just to see if I am perhaps being unfair or exaggerating. I have to say, after several years of listening to well done electronic music, I think rock and metal will be hard to enjoy from a sonic standpoint. Good electronic music even when turned up can be so powerful and engaging, none of that wall of sound even when things get busy. But that is to be expected in many ways. It is much easier to control digital samples versus recorded instruments being played by real people and picked up by microphones (the clear weak link).
I think I understand you. I do notice the poor production quality of rock/metal, especially since coming to love other genres with much higher production standards (Jazz, Blues, Folk). I listen to metal for the energy, but try not to focus on the individual elements much. With those other genres I do indulge in the qualities of the individual elements, as well as listening from a macro/emotional standpoint. I do think my beat up ears help to enjoy poor production quality, no joke. I spent years listening to way too loud music, as well as not using hearing protection with firearms. Talk about abuse, try spending a day sighting in a 30-06 rifle with no ear protection! I needed at least 50 rounds to get it where i wanted it, and by the end both ears rang for 2 days. Goodbye to those frequencies :frowning2: I can only hear to about 11-12k. One ear rings non-stop, the other intermittently. 50 is approaching but i have the ears of probably an 80 year old haha. all my fault too, so anyone reading this, be warned, protect your hearing so you won't be full of regrets later like me.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #3,555 of 6,560

Most "speakerlike" headphone I have is the Neumann NDH-30, no wonder as they are modeled as a copy of one of Neumanns own studio monitors. They work wonderful with metal imo even the congested kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back