Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 23, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #3,511 of 6,560
I have already written this question, but after a long time I am asking other discussants. Does anyone have experience and how do the S2 play with the OTL amplifier xDuoo TA-26, Darkvoice 336se, or Eufonika h5 (I'm thinking about it for the next listening station)? All these amps should have very similar wiring and use the exact same tubes. I currently have the xDuoo TA-26 and I am very happy with the HD600 and HD650! But I want to experience the extension of the sub-bass and especially the difference between the S2 and the HD600/650. Thank you for your reply. :wink:
a lot of users use otl amplifiers for 600-650-660s2 headphones, saying that they sound best with them. in addition, the better the OTL amplifier, the greater the experience.

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #3,512 of 6,560
First of all, realise that the expertise of headphone makers is shown in the headphones - not in the cables. Were this not true, there would not be a custom / replacement cable subsector in the business. So … think of using a custom cable: there are quite a few excellent (and quite a few schlocky) purveyors. Examples of the former include but are not limited to Custom Cans (jfunk.org), Forza Audio Works, Hart Cables, Norne Audio, Sky Audio …
Thanks! Yeah, wasn't trying to say that. I know I wrote it weird...I just meant I prefer balanced with this headphone. But this could also all be amp related. I didn't think one cable was necessarily better, but it's possible balanced or SE in general is better for certain headphones. I do have an amp that is made for balanced so that could factor in. Either way, still loving this headphone...super enjoyable full sound.

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #3,513 of 6,560
Is the theory that they're just helpless in the lab to get power to their own driver technology correctly, limping along and somehow making incredible drivers and headphones even though they just can't manage to understand how electricity goes through cables?

I got nothing against after market cable preferrers, but I don't know how a company could be considered to have expertise in the very fine details of electromagnetism and conductance when it comes to voice coils and such, but just don't get it when it comes to cables.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #3,514 of 6,560
Is the theory that they're just helpless in the lab to get power to their own driver technology correctly, limping along and somehow making incredible drivers and headphones even though they just can't manage to understand how electricity goes through cables?
Just that the bulk of the research, the development & execution goes towards the headphone.

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #3,515 of 6,560
Just that the bulk of the research, the development & execution goes towards the headphone.

1682288977031.gif

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #3,516 of 6,560
For me, the comparison between the HD660S2 and the NDH-30 in this thread isn't an issue. However, I'm more concerned about the condescending tone used
That can be ratified simply by the poster and posters by adding a little..."IMHO" or "to me"....I don't believe anyone here can give or is qualified to give a "definite" statement on either or. IMHO. :)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #3,517 of 6,560
That can be ratified simply by the poster and poster by adding a little..."IMHO" or "to me"....I don't believe anyone here can give or is qualified to give a "definite" statement on either or. IMHO. :)

I'm sorry, but individuals such as him do not have my respect. They hold the belief that unless your views align with their personal preferences, your opinions are invalid. They view those who do not share their preferences as unprofessional reviewers, among other things, etc. I admire your patience in dealing with someone like him.

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #3,518 of 6,560
I'm really trying to figure out if I might like these. I have not read the entire thread, but I did read all of the reviews written by Head Fi members.
As per the standard norm, I'm left a bit confused, as subjective listening preferences always varies. Believe it or not, my favorite Senn is the 58X, but the grain is indeed a bit too much, and it can be a little too aggressive in the presence region with certain tracks and genres I owned the 660s for a while. I found it too dry, fatiguing, linear, and honestly kinda boring and sterile.
I guess my primary question is regarding the upper mids and lower treble. The majority of reviews I've read refer to this region as smooth, I just don't know what Sennheiser smooth might sound like.
I'm always on the lookout for a slightly mid forward tuning, just not in the upper mids. I'm not too concerned with the low end, but is there any warmth from the upper bass and lower mids?
Based on what I've written, do you think I might enjoy this set of cans? Lastly, will my Shanling M6 Pro and M8 offer enough juice to make the S2 sing near full potential? We're talking just shy of one full watt. Any responses are appreciated, as I'm always on the lookout for my next headphone.

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #3,520 of 6,560
I'm really trying to figure out if I might like these. I have not read the entire thread, but I did read all of the reviews written by Head Fi members.
As per the standard norm, I'm left a bit confused, as subjective listening preferences always varies. Believe it or not, my favorite Senn is the 58X, but the grain is indeed a bit too much, and it can be a little too aggressive in the presence region with certain tracks and genres I owned the 660s for a while. I found it too dry, fatiguing, linear, and honestly kinda boring and sterile.
I guess my primary question is regarding the upper mids and lower treble. The majority of reviews I've read refer to this region as smooth, I just don't know what Sennheiser smooth might sound like.
I'm always on the lookout for a slightly mid forward tuning, just not in the upper mids. I'm not too concerned with the low end, but is there any warmth from the upper bass and lower mids?
Based on what I've written, do you think I might enjoy this set of cans? Lastly, will my Shanling M6 Pro and M8 offer enough juice to make the S2 sing near full potential? We're talking just shy of one full watt. Any responses are appreciated, as I'm always on the lookout for my next headphone.
I'm still in the process of learning the sound of the HD 660S2. But I do have an HD 660S to compare it to. The S2 is more fluid and dynamic sounding, it doesn't have the dryness to the mids like the HD 660S, it also has more energy and body than the HD 660S in general. The upper mids are a little less present than the HD 660S and there is some warmth to the sound. There is more extension in both bass and treble over the HD 660S. I'm not noticing any grain to the sound, I can hear some from the HD 660S and R70x in direct comparison. I haven't settled on where I place them exactly fidelity wise yet, but they're noticeably better than the HD 660S here, it's definitely a higher class of driver. I'll be able to offer more in-depth impressions in time.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #3,521 of 6,560
I'm still in the process of learning the sound of the HD 660S2. But I do have an HD 660S to compare it to. The S2 is more fluid and dynamic sounding, it doesn't have the dryness to the mids like the HD 660S, it also has more energy and body than the HD 660S in general. The upper mids are a little less present than the HD 660S and there is some warmth to the sound. There is more extension in both bass and treble over the HD 660S. I'm not noticing any grain to the sound, I can hear some from the HD 660S and R70x in direct comparison. I haven't settled on where I place them exactly fidelity wise yet, but they're noticeably better than the HD 660S here, it's definitely a higher class of driver. I'll be able to offer more in-depth impressions in time.
Great, I look forward to your future impressions. How much less dry and shrill would you say the S2 is than the original? Would you say it's moderately less so, or closer to just noticeable?

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #3,522 of 6,560
Thanks! Your impression of the S2 vs S1 is very much in line with what many have said. I'm very much looking forward to your comparison of the S1 and S2 to 'the other' headphone(!), although I guess if you want to remain alive you might be better reporting that in the 'other thread'! :wink:

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #3,523 of 6,560
I forgot to mention that I primarily listen to classic rock and 80s hair metal. How are we liking rock and metal with the 660s2?
Smooth, plenty of speed and detail as well. Could use a bit more bite for the guitars on occasion but that’s just nitpicking and probably not preferred for a relaxed listen.

To be honest I still need to hear a genre where the 660S2 doesn’t sound great. :)

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #3,524 of 6,560
Thanks! Your impression of the S2 vs S1 is very much in line with what many have said. I'm very much looking forward to your comparison of the S1 and S2 to 'the other' headphone(!), although I guess if you want to remain alive you might be better reporting that in the 'other thread'! :wink:
No Mike, we want to hear about it from someone who actually could do the comparison, no problem with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back