Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #3,497 of 6,561
What’s the point? S2 is like 650 with a bit better bass, treble, soundstage and dynamics but noticeably worse mid. Given most of music happens in the mid, it’s a downgrade from 650 IMO. You can replace the word “NDH30” with Clear, HE6, Atrium, Auteur Classic or other names of similar quality cans and the conclusion would be the same.
To be honest I've never liked the HD 650 much, it just never clicked with me regardless of system. In fact it's a headphone I've often taken off with displeasure. I should like the headphone considering my tastes but I just don't. I'm not saying it's bad as I recognized their fidelity and potential, just I actually dislike how they present sound. Whereas I have an appreciation of the HD 600 but never loved their sound. I always really liked the HD 660S and the HD 660S2 is tuned more like those particularly in the midrange than the HD 600 or HD 650. Not everyone is going to agree on a headphone even on the exact same system, etc. There are people that aren't big fans of the NDH-30, Clear, etc.

The point is there are going to be people that have different experiences and preferences; not everyone is going to agree no matter what is said as their experiences will be different.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #3,498 of 6,561
To be honest I've never liked the HD 650 much, it just never clicked with me regardless of system. In fact it's a headphone I've often taken off with displeasure. I should like the headphone considering my tastes but I just don't. I'm not saying it's bad as I recognized their fidelity and potential, just I actually dislike how they present sound. Whereas I have an appreciation of the HD 600 but never loved their sound. I always really liked the HD 660S and the HD 660S2 is tuned more like those particularly in the midrange than the HD 600 or HD 650. Not everyone is going to agree on a headphone even on the exact same system, etc. There are people that aren't big fans of the NDH-30, Clear, etc.

The point is there are going to be people that have different experiences and preferences; not everyone is going to agree no matter what is said as their experiences will be different.
I agree with you on personal preference and experience and all that. My point was that the S2 doesn't really compete with headphones one or two tiers higher in pricing, and actually competes with those that are half the price. Mid-fi headphones are boring, in my opinion. The NDH30, on the other hand, competes with headphones at least one tier higher in price (1-3k), and if it were just a bit more liquid and lively and slightly less dampened, it would be better than headphones two pricing tiers higher across the board (3k+). That's a more refreshing and interesting offering to me. The economy sucks, and I like a bargain.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #3,499 of 6,561
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #3,500 of 6,561
Apr 23, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #3,501 of 6,561
I agree with you on personal preference and experience and all that. My point was that the S2 doesn't really compete with headphones one or two tiers higher in pricing, and actually competes with those that are half the price. Mid-fi headphones are boring, in my opinion. The NDH30, on the other hand, competes with headphones at least one tier higher in price (1-3k), and if it were just a bit more liquid and lively and slightly less dampened, it would be better than headphones two pricing tiers higher across the board (3k+). That's a more refreshing and interesting offering to me. The economy sucks, and I like a bargain.
I get what you’re saying, I’ll see if I feel similar when I get to spend time with the NDH-30 as I’ll have the chance to borrow them for a few days. I haven’t spent enough time with the S2 to see where it stands with me. I’ll see what I prefer in the future.

Apr 23, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #3,503 of 6,561
I don't understand why the comparison is a problem. ndh30 660s2 is also a German company, they cost the same, but to read huge contradictory opinions about both, in every thread.. one should be on his feet who finds out what the truth really is in such a forum, and what they really say, separately or against each other. no one knows about the other, how much experience and knowledge they have, how reliable their hearing is, etc., etc.. I'm also trying to find out what the truth is between the two headphones, but I have to realize that it's simply impossible to find this out on a forum.

For me, the comparison between the HD660S2 and the NDH-30 in this thread isn't an issue. However, I'm more concerned about the condescending tone used by chesebert.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #3,504 of 6,561

Apr 23, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3,505 of 6,561
Just got these! First impressions were extremely underwhelming with the SE cable. Once I went to the included 4.4 balanced cable - this is incredible! I still think the HD600 SE cable is magical in its own way for voices and dynamic sound stage (the magical midrange). But the full sound you get from the HD660S2 with 4.4 is truly special too. It's really cool to hear the differences and appreciate both. I feel like this is a perfect 1-2 punch. But I could also see myself just listening to this now because voices are still so great and it's a very full and detailed sound with more bass presence (but not bass heavy at all). Love it.

Update: Kinda feels like this was a really good time to get into Sennheiser as it seems like the whole 6xx line was always similar (based on others thoughts) but they actually finally addressed the things lacking in the line with this model. I think they accomplished it really well, IFFFF you use the balanced cable (could be my amp, so not saying SE can't sound good). Great performance by them, they didn't ruin the sound and turn it into a bass heavy model or super detailed. They kept the good voices and they improved in the other areas. Now I have no idea if it's truly better than the HD600 - as a lot of things in audio, there are perhaps always trade offs. You don't get to be a magical midrange headphone that competes with more expensive models (HD600) if you weren't doing something really right. But this is cool what they did here.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #3,506 of 6,561
How is a sub $500 tube amp in comparison with a sub $2000 solidstate counterpart for the hd660s2? I am pointing to something such as vahalla2, sw51 vs ican pro, gsx-mini. Thanks
I can't comment on the S2 connection, but I just picked up a used Valhalla 2 with extra tubes and it is a lot of fun! My other amps; are iFi Pro iCAN, Violectric V220 and a Little Dot MK9.
It worked with my very efficient SR2's (16 Ohm) and sounds great with my Clears.

Definitely space for an economical tube amp with the Pro iCAN. Gives you very different experiences.

If I can move a set of headphones that I have up for sale, I will probably pick up a set of S2's to try out. :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #3,507 of 6,561
Just got these! First impressions were extremely underwhelming with the SE cable. Once I went to the included 4.4 balanced cable - this is incredible! I still think the HD600 SE cable is magical in its own way for voices and dynamic sound stage (the magical midrange). But the full sound you get from the HD660S2 with 4.4 is truly special too. It's really cool to hear the differences and appreciate both. I feel like this is a perfect 1-2 punch. But I could also see myself just listening to this now because voices are still so great and it's a very full and detailed sound with more bass presence (but not bass heavy at all). Love it.

Update: Kinda feels like this was a really good time to get into Sennheiser as it seems like the whole 6xx line was always similar (based on others thoughts) but they actually finally addressed the things lacking in the line with this model. I think they accomplished it really well, IFFFF you use the balanced cable. Great performance by them, they didn't ruin the sound and turn it into a bass heavy model or super detailed. They kept the good voices and they improved in the other areas. Now I have no idea if it's truly better than the HD600 - as a lot of things in audio, there are perhaps always trade offs. You don't get to be a magical midrange headphone that competes with more expensive models (HD600) if you weren't doing something really right. But this is cool what they did here.
exactly which type of headphone amplifier did you plug the hd660s2 into, which sounds so bad at the output? did you also plug the 4.4mm Balanced cable into the same one, which you heard was better? it doesn't hurt to know that your amplifier can simply sound better with its symmetrical output, not the headphones.

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #3,508 of 6,561
I have already written this question, but after a long time I am asking other discussants. Does anyone have experience and how do the S2 play with the OTL amplifier xDuoo TA-26, Darkvoice 336se, or Eufonika h5 (I'm thinking about it for the next listening station)? All these amps should have very similar wiring and use the exact same tubes. I currently have the xDuoo TA-26 and I am very happy with the HD600 and HD650! But I want to experience the extension of the sub-bass and especially the difference between the S2 and the HD600/650. Thank you for your reply. :wink:

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #3,510 of 6,561

Update: Kinda feels like this was a really good time to get into Sennheiser as it seems like the whole 6xx line was always similar (based on others thoughts) but they actually finally addressed the things lacking in the line with this model. I think they accomplished it really well, IFFFF you use the balanced cable (could be my amp, so not saying SE can't sound good). Great performance by them, they didn't ruin the sound and turn it into a bass heavy model or super detailed. They kept the good voices and they improved in the other areas. Now I have no idea if it's truly better than the HD600 - as a lot of things in audio, there are perhaps always trade offs. You don't get to be a magical midrange headphone that competes with more expensive models (HD600) if you weren't doing something really right. But this is cool what they did here.
First of all, realise that the expertise of headphone makers is shown in the headphones - not in the cables. Were this not true, there would not be a custom / replacement cable subsector in the business. So … think of using a custom cable: there are quite a few excellent (and quite a few schlocky) purveyors. Examples of the former include but are not limited to Custom Cans (jfunk.org), Forza Audio Works, Hart Cables, Norne Audio, Sky Audio …

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back