Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #3,571 of 6,501
To help clarify, I think of the HD650 as warm and colored. Not by a large margin, but still north of neutral. The S2 is tonally similar, hence the warm/colored comments.
I owned the HD6XX's and the HD600's twice each. I never disliked them, but I never loved them either. I didn't find them warm or coloured. I can certainly understand why audiophiles or budding audiophiles would use them.

My favourite Senn headphone was the HD660S. I thought it was the most "fun" headphone in the line. Now, if that was just a little warmer...

Of course my favourite headphones are my Grado GH2's, iBasso SR2's, Focal Clear's and CFA Cascades. So I tend to hang out pretty far away from neutral. :smile:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #3,572 of 6,501
I owned the HD6XX's and the HD600's twice each. I never disliked them, but I never loved them either. I didn't find them warm or coloured. I can certainly understand why audiophiles or budding audiophiles would use them.

My favourite Senn headphone was the HD660S. I thought it was the most "fun" headphone in the line. Now, if that was just a little warmer...

Of course my favourite headphones are my Grado GH2's, iBasso SR2's, Focal Clear's and CFA Cascades. So I tend to hang out pretty far away from neutral. :smile:
The HD 660S was my favorite Senn as well, but the HD 660S2 seems it will be my new favorite Senn. It is a little warmer and more dynamic than the HD 660S.

I may still want to keep the original 660S though as outside tuning and resolution differences; it does have some presentation differences and it’s own charm. I’ll have to see with longer term ownership and if I’ll still use the OG’s or not.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #3,573 of 6,501
Yeah, pretty much this. I find the 660S2 to sit somewhere in the middle. It's not quite as vibey as the 650, and definitely not as crisp and detailed as the NDH30. I figure having the NDH30 and the 650 gives you more surface area, and better options to suit your mood. At least that's how I see it.
Pardon if this was covered before, but thus I reckon the NDH30 is simply more bright compared to the 660S2? Definitely not something I'd want, and up to now I believed the NDH30 basically sounds like a 600S2 with added sub-bass. But I guess it's not that simple again after all. :)

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #3,574 of 6,501
Pardon if this was covered before, but thus I reckon the NDH30 is simply more bright compared to the 660S2? Definitely not something I'd want, and up to now I believed the NDH30 basically sounds like a 600S2 with added sub-bass. But I guess it's not that simple again after all. :)

And what about comparing NDH30, 660S2 and 650?

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #3,575 of 6,501
Pretty sure there are already several impressions that considered these headphones in this thread. Likely if you go to the NDH-30 thread there are also other posts covering this

Did you have a specific question about those three headphones you haven't seen information on?

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #3,576 of 6,501
That would be “no” and “no”. S2 sounds nothing like NDH30.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #3,577 of 6,501
I'm not sure I'd say the NDH 30 is brighter, per se, but is more balanced than the S2. Both the 30 and S2 have excellent treble, with neither being sibilant or harsh. The S2 just has slightly elevated lower mids and slightly less forward upper mids compared to the 30. This makes the S2 sound warmer, especially in the mid bass region. Both have excellent subbass. I'd have to sit and test them to say for sure, but from my general listening they seem to have similar reach down into the low low frequencies, with differing degrees of presence. The 30 felt just slightly more present at the lowest frequencies, but got more linear as they rose. The S2 was a bit softer at the lowest frequencies (but still present) but ramped up presence more as it transitioned to midbass. They both have really nice bass performance, just a bit different. The 30 is more of a tool in that it's uncolored and very balanced, with nothing really standing out, giving a more honest view into the music, as one would expect from a studio piece. The S2 is more of a hi-fi listen, with added warmth and a slightly less balanced approach. It's tuned for fun, not accuracy. That being said it's not that that colored, and still sounds pretty natural. But it's IMO warmer, like how I view the HD650 as warm and the HD600 as neutral. You could extrapolate that to the S2 and 30. They both sound great, but have different intents with their tuning.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #3,578 of 6,501
I'm not sure I'd say the NDH 30 is brighter, per se, but is more balanced than the S2. Both the 30 and S2 have excellent treble, with neither being sibilant or harsh. The S2 just has slightly elevated lower mids and slightly less forward upper mids compared to the 30. This makes the S2 sound warmer, especially in the mid bass region. Both have excellent subbass. I'd have to sit and test them to say for sure, but from my general listening they seem to have similar reach down into the low low frequencies, with differing degrees of presence. The 30 felt just slightly more present at the lowest frequencies, but got more linear as they rose. The S2 was a bit softer at the lowest frequencies (but still present) but ramped up presence more as it transitioned to midbass. They both have really nice bass performance, just a bit different. The 30 is more of a tool in that it's uncolored and very balanced, with nothing really standing out, giving a more honest view into the music, as one would expect from a studio piece. The S2 is more of a hi-fi listen, with added warmth and a slightly less balanced approach. It's tuned for fun, not accuracy. That being said it's not that that colored, and still sounds pretty natural. But it's IMO warmer, like how I view the HD650 as warm and the HD600 as neutral. You could extrapolate that to the S2 and 30. They both sound great, but have different intents with their tuning.
Awesome, that's great to know thanks - I already own the 700 Pros from Beyerdynamic which are analytical enough, definitely not feeling the need to try the NDH 30, especially since it honestly looks a bit less comfy than the 660S2, weighing about 100g more too. Might overall perhaps not be that noticeable though.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #3,579 of 6,501
The NDH 30 is different from the S2 and 650 in intent. It's made for studio work and is a very uncolored and honest view into the music. The S2 and 650 are more hi-fi, tuned for musical enjoyment by coloration. Between the S2 and 650, they share similar tonal characteristics but differ mostly in technical performance. The S2 is faster, more extended down low and up top, and more resolving. The 650 is smoother, softer, and slower. It's one of the least fatiguing and easy listening sets I've ever heard. The S2's speed and added dynamics make it less smooth, but more technically capable. The S2 and 30 share modern technical performance, and differ more in tuning and tonal balance. Both are fast, well extended, and resolving. The 30's more balanced tuning make it IMO the easier set to analyze music with, but personal preferences will dictate which the user will find as more engaging or fun. I like colored headphones, and love warmer tuning, so from a fun factor alone, the S2 is more my style. But I also have times when I don't want any coloration, and want to understand all the nuances of what i'm listening to. The 30 is easily the best headphone in my lineup for that. But for "fun", it's a bit analytical for me. Not that I find it boring or dull, it's not. I just prefer added warmth, that classic hi-fi tuning i grew up with. My dad's stereo equipment was all highly colored and warm sounding, so i'm used to it and seek it out. There's no right or wrong, only preference. If you seek coloration, the S2 would be my choice. If you seek neutral/uncolored, then the 30 would be the one. If you want a more old school hi-fi sound with smoothness and a bit of softness, the 650 IMO reigns supreme. It can't match the more modern sets in technical performance, but it's still a blast to listen to. I won't sell mine, but that's just me.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #3,580 of 6,501
@erics75 You forgot to mention that aside from differences in general frequency response and tonal presentation, NDH30 is vastly superior to S2 in all aspects of technicalities. They are from 2 different tiers and not comparable at all.

In terms of technical performance, NDH30 sits somewhere between Clear and Utopia with a balanced (tilt to warm) sound profile. I suppose there are always folks who will prefer 650 to Utopia so YMMV.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #3,581 of 6,501
@erics75 You forgot to mention that aside from differences in general frequency response and tonal presentation, NDH30 is vastly superior to S2 in all aspects of technicalities. They are from 2 different tiers and not comparable at all.
That is quite the statement, can someone else confirm this too? Seems more like a subjective thing whether or not the drivers (and even sound) is "vastly superior" no offense but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #3,582 of 6,501
Awesome, that's great to know thanks - I already own the 700 Pros from Beyerdynamic which are analytical enough, definitely not feeling the need to try the NDH 30, especially since it honestly looks a bit less comfy than the 660S2, weighing about 100g more too. Might overall perhaps not be that noticeable though.
I have the 700 Pro X, it's a really nice set, but the 30 is much much better all around. And believe it or not, but the 30 to me is the more comfortably set! The S2 is also super comfy, but it clamps tighter and forms more of a hot spot on the top of my head. The 30 doesn't clamp hard at all, and the material of the pads is easily the softest i've felt in a synthetic material. But tonally it is more in line with the 700 Pro X, so if you want more warmth, the S2 is the way to go.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #3,583 of 6,501
My ears are bad, I honestly can't tell a big difference between them in terms of technical performance. And I'm not joking saying bad ears. Years of way too loud music and firearm use without hearing protection has left my ears in bad shape. Left ear rings non-stop and the right on/off. I took a test a year or two ago and stopped hearing around 12k-ish. And honestly after 10k it barely registered, especially on the left side. So for me personally, I view them as more or less equivalents, with the major difference being tuning/intent. Studio vs hi-fi, if you will. I know some of you guys in the 30 forum work with audio and understand those aspects better, so I defer that detail/info, I'm not capable.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #3,584 of 6,501
I have the 700 Pro X, it's a really nice set, but the 30 is much much better all around. And believe it or not, but the 30 to me is the more comfortably set! The S2 is also super comfy, but it clamps tighter and forms more of a hot spot on the top of my head. The 30 doesn't clamp hard at all, and the material of the pads is easily the softest i've felt in a synthetic material. But tonally it is more in line with the 700 Pro X, so if you want more warmth, the S2 is the way to go.
Thanks again. I hate myself a bit for giving in so easily to expensive purchases (but hey I'm young and live alone with just two cats), but I ordered the NDH 30 as well now. Love comfy headphones and if they offer a different but similar signature to the S2, hey that also sounds great. Appreciate your response! :)

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #3,585 of 6,501

In terms of technical performance, NDH30 sits somewhere between Clear and Utopia with a balanced (tilt to warm) sound profile. I suppose there are always folks who will prefer 650 to Utopia so YMMV.
I know you will probably repeat it for a long time as a fact, but you always forget to add "for my taste". And in a year or two you tweet a new song...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back