Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 21, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #2,596 of 6,502
I know Elton John's voice since I bought Captain Fantastic in 1975. It sounds completely correct on the HD660S2. There is no reason to fiddle with eq or pads. It is just perfect.
You're stating that as definitive fact, but it's opinion. I understand you find it pitch perfect, but to me it sounds a bit off, and sounds more lifelike on the HD600. There's no right or wrong, just preferences and opinions. I respect your opinion, I just don't like being told my opinion is wrong.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #2,597 of 6,502
You're stating that as definitive fact, but it's opinion. I understand you find it pitch perfect, but to me it sounds a bit off, and sounds more lifelike on the HD600. There's no right or wrong, just preferences and opinions. I respect your opinion, I just don't like being told my opinion is wrong.

The HD660S2 does have a dip in the 2-5khz range, but I think it was intended that way. Have you tried removing the foam disc in the cups and give a shot?

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #2,598 of 6,502
The HD660S2 does have a dip in the 2-5khz range, but I think it was intended that way. Have you tried removing the foam disc in the cups and give a shot?
Not yet, I'll start with that and then the ZMF pads. And to be fair that dip is so so slight i can see how someone would not be bothered by it. I'm just very very used to the 650 and my ZMFs which are more forward in that region, so it throws me off. 100% preference based, not a fault of the headphone.

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #2,599 of 6,502
If you're waiting for a price reduction, I'd say their value is more relative to your existing feelings about Sennheiser's house sound than anything else. I don't know that the S2 is going to convert anyone who doesn't already love that sound sig, and I certainly wouldn't recommend spending full pop if you're not already a fan. I have been looking for exactly this headphone for a few years now to pair with the 650. YMMV.

I was lucky enough to grab them when they had a pricing error ($680cdn vs $800cdn) and I'd absolutely say they're worth the actual full retail price now that I've had them for a month, and will not be parting with them, likely ever. Not sure if I would've been so quick to order at full price having not heard them first, though.
I'll wait a month or two and buy on the secondary market.....

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #2,600 of 6,502
I will buy 660S2 (again) for $250 on Black Friday.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,601 of 6,502
I have been looking for exactly this headphone for a few years now to pair with the 650.

I am thinking of selling my 650 as redundant, now that I have 660S2.

Please explain, how do these pair and hence why should I keep them both ?

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #2,602 of 6,502

That comes down to personal preferences and individual situations. For some the thought of having more than one or a select few headphones is not appealing. Others like many sets to match mood, or just because they are fortunate enough to be able to do so. I'm a mood listener myself, so I like variety. Sometimes I want to relax and just take it easy with some soothing music. The 650 nails that for me perfectly. But i'm just as apt to want to rock out and need musical energy/excitement, and the S2 nails that perfectly. So having both for me is almost a necessity, funds permitting. The right tool for the right job, right? To complicate matters even more, toss the HD600 in the mix! :) I love that one for when I want honest, uncolored playback. I often use it as a sanity check for my system's tuning, as well as other headphone's tuning as well. For example I LOVE my Atticus. I would listen to it so much it becomes boring sounding at times. I would think man what happened to the bass! Put the HD600 on and suddenly the Atticus' coloration snaps into focus and is immediately apparent. But that's just me, and we're all different.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #2,603 of 6,502
I tried this already and it didn't really help; neither did driving it balanced. 660S2 simply sounds off when you come from more neutral-voiced cans - Focal, other Sennheiser, HFM. Some people like that sound, which I completely understand.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #2,604 of 6,502

Its been no secret that many enjoy the midrange on the 580,600,650 ... for its lush and romantic presentation. I would argue the older 580s are a little less "romantic" and slightly overall thinner (relatively speakering) though still warm'ish.

When comparing to some mid centric focused headphone like dt48A (5ohm) , dt48E (25ohm), dt100 (16 and 2000 ohm variant), dt480 (25 and 200 ohm variant), as these were used for voicing in televison and movie sets, it is apparent most of the 6 sennheiser is "enhanced"

Natural and Romantic were both used almost simultaneously in this 6 series description for decades.

To me, when comparing a very flat midrange with no "character" or "soul" or lack of musicality, you can really hear the voices in a different way.

Now, to me, both are not "off" but they are distinctively different.

After all, to romanticize, by definition, is to deviate from reality to a certain degree.

That is not to say, the 660S is "off" or the 600 is "on", they are both not "off" , but I would say 660S seems less enhanced/romantic. Which can be more boring and less intimate I will admit.

It is nice to get the goosepimples with the 6 series midrange magic when it's there, and also nice to hear slightly less enhanced but still somewhat accurate voicing with a few less goosepimples

660S1/S2, and i did hear them side by side with the questyle cma 12 were less "intimate" , but the singers I know didn't seem too "off" . I wouldn't say it was the BEST in terms of voicing (all other things aside) for me personally, but it is still very good.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #2,606 of 6,502
For me, most accurate vocal headphone heard to date is the letter starting with N and it shall not be named here lol.

63944.jpg

****yes don't mention the Nagra 48s or an audiometrics, they are cursed!! I will say I do think the dt48A voices are better than both s1/s2, and ndh30. Though 99.9% of peopel wouldn't liek to listen to music on them. :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #2,607 of 6,502
The first rule of this thread is to not talk about that other headphone. :beyersmile:

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #2,608 of 6,502

Chances are you'll miss the 650. It's a great change up headphone. I imagine it would contrast well w the 660S2 as it does w the 600.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #2,610 of 6,502
Chances are you'll miss the 650. It's a great change up headphone. I imagine it would contrast well w the 660S2 as it does w the 600.
I suppose you need a C student to contrast with the A student :relieved: C is a bit harsh, B student.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back