Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #2,581 of 6,560
agreed. there’s a lot of opinions from non-users that are strongly worded and come across as definitive but based solely on conjecture. This thread in general feels off with such strong unsubstantiated opinions and chatter about other headphones. I’m hoping as more units get into users hands that will change and some useful info and impressions start hitting. But as is, this thread needs a massive mod cleanup, IMO. But just my useless 2c

To stay on topic I did some tube rolling on my stratus and it did wonders for the S2. The new tubes bring up the mids a bit and temper the bass slightly. This better balances the overall macro sound signature, IMO. The slight dip I was hearing around the male vocal range is gone. The S2 is very sensitive to amp changes so tubes and tube rolling really help dial this set in. I’m really enjoying them and am glad I took a shot and tried them. I’d happily take these over the HD800 as they’re much more natural sounding to my ears.
I need to walk back something I said earlier, about the slight mids dip being gone with a tube roll. I got a bit excited at the improvement to the mids with said tubes, but it's not 100% gone. I've been doing some critical listening with the S2, Atrium, and HD600, and when put to the fire, that mids dip does rear it's head just a bit. It's much better than before, but both the Atrium and especially the HD600 highlight it when directly compared. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the HD600 when it went on sale recently, it's such a wonderful reference tool to have. I still stand behind my other statements earlier, the S2 is mighty impressive, and can be dialed in wonderfully with tube rolling. And it's technical prowess is leaps ahead of the 600/650.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #2,582 of 6,560
Some years ago I owned an HD600, when I heard the K701 I bought it and sold the HD600.
The HD600 sounded for me too unexciting, too smooth, without emotion. I owned almost all models of the K/Q7xx series, only the K712 remained. I also had the K501 for some time, very good for (female) voices, otherwise much too thin in the bass.
And one more thing (my opinion), if you are used to the Sennheiser HE 1 flagship, you will prefer the HD660 S2.
In a direct comparison between the HD800(S) and HE 1, the HD800(S) tend to produce a cool sound, the HE 1 a warm sound. Compared several times at trade fairs. This is my experience.

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #2,583 of 6,560
The HD660S2 is a headphone which forces me to listen to my music for hours in a row. It is so good across the board, I can hardly stop.
I think my best headphone ever.
The IE900 is even better in the low registers, but I cannot use it for more than 45 minutes or so, because it is an IEM and blocks too much of what is going on around me.
The HD660S2 is perfectly suited for Macus Miller, btw.

Attachments

• 16793914497074360567422553530999.jpg
    16793914497074360567422553530999.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #2,584 of 6,560
I really have to try these at some point, the 660S is one of my favorite tunings in a headphone and my only complain about it is the bass extension, which the S2 apparently has fixed.

I have the Clear MG, and I already think the original HD660S competes with the Clear MG in a few areas. 660S midrange and vocals are better (to my ears), more natural timbre and surprisingly I find the soundstage height is taller on the 660S. And since the S2 has better bass extension, fixing basically my only complaint about the original 660S, I'm willing to bet the S2 will get really close to the Clear level of technical performance.
For your first statement: yep. The S2 is a clear improvement across the board, but most clearly in two areas: actual bass extension, and actual treble, both of which the 660s (despite being my favorite headphone at the time) lacked.

I can also provide a comparison to the Clear Pro (as far as I know, the same as the OG except with red and black colorway). Personally, I'd take the 660S2 every time. It has all of the charms of the Sennheiser 6 series, but with improved dynamics. IMO the dynamics are the only thing about the Clear that sets it apart- they're pretty amazing, especially at first. It quickly gets fatiguing though, at least for me. Something about the way it does dynamics makes my ears literally tired lol. With the S2, the dynamics are almost on a similar level, but with zero fatigue somehow. The Clear also soundstages very strangely. It feels like there are two bubbles to either side of your head, very rounded and to me somewhat unnatural. The S2, while more narrow, feels more natural to me.

Comfort wise, its not even close to the 660S2. I found the Clear Pro wholly uncomfortable. It felt sort of like I had a cage, or some sort of odd helmet on my head. The headband was almost unbearable without some sort of headband pad cover. Those pads are sort of a joke too, they fall apart so quickly even with care taken. And spare sets are pricey of course.

I think the Clear is one of the more overrated headphones out there, so maybe I'm biased. In short I think the 660S2 has excellent dynamics with good bass extension and treble energy, mixed with everything that's great about the Sennheiser 6 series. They will last you forever if you take care of them. The Clear have the best dynamics I've ever heard, but they're uncomfortable, fatiguing, and I'm not confident their build would last the test of time.

While I feel like the $600 price tag is a bit much (would have preferred they launch at $500 like the 660s), in a world where a Focal Clear OG costs $900+ the price is fair IMO. The Clear are way over priced I feel. The Elex at $750 is also over priced, but a much better price than the Clear.

Price is a whole different discussion. Are the 600/650 under priced at ~$300? Are they about right? In my experience and from things I've listened to all the way up to $2K, they are under priced and a deal for what you get. If they are priced right at their value, then things like the Clear are absurdly over priced IMO.

I think the S2 will drop to $500 soon enough. As much as I endorse it and think its almost a perfect headphone, I think waiting is the smart play if you have self control haha.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #2,585 of 6,560
I bought HD660S2 just two weeks after buying Meze 109 Pro.

I like them both, but had I bought S2 first, I may have skipped Meze.

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #2,587 of 6,560
No rocket science involved. When I listen to music with S2, I am convinced that these could be my only headphones. They are so good.

Meze are great as well, but expensive (for me) hence, I could live with S2 only and the savings :)

Mar 21, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #2,588 of 6,560
I bought HD660S2 just two weeks after buying Meze 109 Pro.

I like them both, but had I bought S2 first, I may have skipped Meze.
So what you are saying is you prefer the 660S2 right? (I just saw your message above and get it, thanks).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,589 of 6,560
I'd love to see some OG Clear vs S2 comparisons myself. i loved the OG Clear and regret selling it pretty bad. I think the S2's increased technical prowess would put it in direct competition with the Clear, and at half the price. Though I don't have my Clear anymore, from memory I think the S2 would be more than a match for it, with tonal preferences being many people's deciding factor. The S2's resolution really is excellent, and it's got a warmer, more musical and natural balance to it. As much as i love the musical nature of the S2, what really stands out to me is it's resolution and separation. That was never a strong point of the 6 series. Sennheiser put tonal balance and listenability first, it seems like. But with the S2 it has wonderful balance and listenability but with the technical chops to contend with anything outside the top top shelf stuff.

This has been my biggest takeaway as well, and also the reason I'll hang onto my 650. Which I'm happy about.

It seems a large subsect of people get flustered with these new Sennheiser offerings (660S, 660S2) because they don't consider them to be "better" than the 600 or 650, but I just don't think that's the point. They're simply different takes on the formula. Some people will prefer them, others won't. Get what you like. I love the 650's for their warm, smooth, musical and generally inoffensive presentation. I more or less always find them to be lacking in deep bass/slam as was as presence, but I'm also ok with that because they disappear on my head and are perfect for relaxing or non-distracting background music while working.

I've been through countless other higher end headphones that are probably technically superior to the 660S2, but always move them along because most are fatiguing (leaning hard on whatever their schtick is, etc) and/or simply not as comfortable on my head as the 6X0 series. The 660S2 (holy ****, I hate this name!) delivering a more dynamic and lively presentation, but in that familiar comfortable headphone is basically my Everest. They grab and demand your attention in a very similar manner to how many headphones that cost 4-5x as much do, but also can be worn all day.

Thing is, having said all of that, going back to the 650 doesn't feel like a downgrade. It's just different.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #2,590 of 6,560
You guys are killing me w these impressions ha. I'm trying hard to wait to purchase the 660S2

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #2,591 of 6,560
This has been my biggest takeaway as well, and also the reason I'll hang onto my 650. Which I'm happy about.

It seems a large subsect of people get flustered with these new Sennheiser offerings (660S, 660S2) because they don't consider them to be "better" than the 600 or 650, but I just don't think that's the point. They're simply different takes on the formula. Some people will prefer them, others won't. Get what you like. I love the 650's for their warm, smooth, musical and generally inoffensive presentation. I more or less always find them to be lacking in deep bass/slam as was as presence, but I'm also ok with that because they disappear on my head and are perfect for relaxing or non-distracting background music while working.

I've been through countless other higher end headphones that are probably technically superior to the 660S2, but always move them along because most are fatiguing (leaning hard on whatever their schtick is, etc) and/or simply not as comfortable on my head as the 6X0 series. The 660S2 (holy ****, I hate this name!) delivering a more dynamic and lively presentation, but in that familiar comfortable headphone is basically my Everest. They grab and demand your attention in a very similar manner to how many headphones that cost 4-5x as much do, but also can be worn all day.

Thing is, having said all of that, going back to the 650 doesn't feel like a downgrade. It's just different.
I agree, the S2 shouldn't be seen as a replacement for the 600/650, but an additional stablemate. I'm glad Sennheiser is not discontinuing the older models, they most definitely have a place in the market. I love the S2 and will be keeping it, but will also keep the 600 and 650 for when the mood arises. Options are good! :)

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,592 of 6,560
I'm curious how many users have rolled different pads on the S2? For ZMFs pad rolling is a viable and easy way to change the frequency response to one's liking. Now that more manufacturers are providing 6 series pad options, I wonder if any are synergistic with the S2. I have the ZMF perforated lambskin pads I sometimes use on the 650. I'll be giving those a shot either tonight or this weekend. I didn't like the Dekoni options on the 650 but maybe they'll work better on the S2?

To add context, the reason I'd like to try pad rolling is to address that slight mids dip I'm hearing. I'd love to bring forward the frequency range where a lot of male vocalists reside (no clue the numbers in Hz, sorry). But when listening to the likes of Elton John, George Michael, David Bowie, etc. there's a slight dip in presence that causes me to focus on it. The reason I focus so much on it is because on the 600/650 and my ZMFs that area is more forward and natural sounding. The dip is very very minor, but is there and at times distracts me. What I don't want to do though is ruin the rest of the frequency response. I more or less love how the S2 sounds as is, and would love just that minor tweak. I know I can more easily EQ that to taste, but EQ in my OCD hands is a recipe for insanity haha. I had a Schiit Loki analog EQ and found myself spending more time obsessing over it and tweaking the sound than I did actually just enjoying the music.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #2,593 of 6,560
I know Elton John's voice since I bought Captain Fantastic in 1975. It sounds completely correct on the HD660S2. There is no reason to fiddle with eq or pads. It is just perfect.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #2,594 of 6,560
You guys are killing me w these impressions ha. I'm trying hard to wait to purchase the 660S2

If you're waiting for a price reduction, I'd say their value is more relative to your existing feelings about Sennheiser's house sound than anything else. I don't know that the S2 is going to convert anyone who doesn't already love that sound sig, and I certainly wouldn't recommend spending full pop if you're not already a fan. I have been looking for exactly this headphone for a few years now to pair with the 650. YMMV.

I was lucky enough to grab them when they had a pricing error ($680cdn vs $800cdn) and I'd absolutely say they're worth the actual full retail price now that I've had them for a month, and will not be parting with them, likely ever. Not sure if I would've been so quick to order at full price having not heard them first, though.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #2,595 of 6,560
The HD660S2 is a headphone which forces me to listen to my music for hours in a row. It is so good across the board, I can hardly stop.
I think my best headphone ever.
The IE900 is even better in the low registers, but I cannot use it for more than 45 minutes or so, because it is an IEM and blocks too much of what is going on around me.
The HD660S2 is perfectly suited for Macus Miller, btw.

Its time for Luther and HD660S2👍

NOMAX

PS.i am sure you know which i mean as a Miller fan 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back