Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 22, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #2,611 of 6,581
I suppose you need a C student to contrast with the A student :relieved: C is a bit harsh, B student.

I understand the concept. I have 8+ over ears headphones :)

I like them all for different reasons, but an inner voice is telling me "too many" :D

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #2,612 of 6,581
I think that with the S4 Sennheiser will nail the 600's midrange. 🙂
I know that was a joke, obviously, but I have to say that, rightly or wrongly, this is something which somewhat puts me off getting the S2. Soniva is like any other company – it exists to make a profit. It would be nice to think that they exist to satisfy the needs and desires of hi-fi enthusiasts, and to a certain extent that may be true because obviously that is where they’re aiming their sales, but at the end of the day they want to make a profit. Having surely realised that successive generations of the six series will always be something that I large number of people will buy I’m certain there will be an S3 and S4. That’s fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but I would rather find something new and genuinely different which is going to become legendary like the 600 and 650.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #2,613 of 6,581
I know that was a joke, obviously, but I have to say that, rightly or wrongly, this is something which somewhat puts me off getting the S2. Soniva is like any other company – it exists to make a profit. It would be nice to think that they exist to satisfy the needs and desires of hi-fi enthusiasts, and to a certain extent that may be true because obviously that is where they’re aiming their sales, but at the end of the day they want to make a profit. Having surely realised that successive generations of the six series will always be something that I large number of people will buy I’m certain there will be an S3 and S4. That’s fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but I would rather find something new and genuinely different which is going to become legendary like the 600 and 650.
Given the recent call and survey for users' feedback for the flagship HD-800/800S by @Sennheiser/@ericpalonen, I surely hope that they are up to something.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #2,614 of 6,581
I understand the concept. I have 8+ over ears headphones :)

I like them all for different reasons, but an inner voice is telling me "too many" :D
In my case there is also an outer voice, and a friend who bought already 2x HD650, HD700, HD800 and a Audeze Mobius from me.

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #2,618 of 6,581
Something to think about :) .

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,620 of 6,581
Sharing my first hour impression of the 660s2. As everything is subjective my other open cans are the hd580 and ath-r70x, closed z7m2 and my primary listening is via the ier-z1r. I listen to almost all genres of music.

Build - Feels more flimsy on touch than the hd580 but no major issues.
Fit - Fantastic as I’ve come to expect from this series. Only the r70x can edge this out with its suspension design
Cables - I really dislike the HD series connectors. Always feel like I’m gonna bend a pin. Much prefer Sony’s screw in plug.

Noise floor - I would argue that the 660s2 has one of the best noise floors of all headphones, the blackness in quiet pieces and in pauses of music is amazing and really adds to delicate pieces of music and vocals. This is its usp.

Overall dynamics and sound - at 300ohms I had to run this on high gain on my tazh1es’s balanced output to get the most out of its dynamics. Soundstage is par for the course and the overall bass tweaks are good in a way that adds weight to instruments that let you better understand what the artist is trying to convey. Try listening to Shenandoah by Keith Jarret to immediately understand what I mean. The bass also adds a certain level of fun to most genres of music without messing with separation.

It’s versatile too to an extent. Hiphop and eurobeat works even. How well? Kinda like a reluctant world class artist being asked to play a different genre of music. If the 660s2 could talk it would probably jump off my ears turn around and say ‘Really dude? Ok fine I’ll play it but don’t tell anyone about it’.

Long story short it shines like most of the hd580/600+ series but I feel it’s more versatile and can make most people go ‘wow’ with almost any song.

If there are any questions just ask, so far it’s a keeper for me.

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #2,621 of 6,581
It was said by Sennheiser, that the NDH-30 uses the unmodified HD560S driver but paired with the least possible tolerance. So the matched driver pairs and the NDH-30 driver placement make the difference here.

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #2,622 of 6,581
OK so a driver designed as angled cannot maybe play well as non-angled yes this makes sense. But i did not know matching drivers to make such a difference (if the n30 is much better than the 560s as it is claimed).

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #2,623 of 6,581
It was said by Sennheiser, that the NDH-30 uses the unmodified HD560S driver but paired with the least possible tolerance. So the matched driver pairs and the NDH-30 driver placement make the difference here.
I can’t remember the details, but I’m pretty sure that the NHD 30 uses a modified HD 560 S driver….. I’m sure somebody here can remember where the details of that have been posted.

@headstef?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back