Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jul 22, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #4,426 of 6,686
who is using the s2 for heavy metal/rock? i am so stunned how clear and distortion free they sound. i never heard an electric guitar so clear and i can sense what the bass is doing in the backround i enjoy these cans every second i use them
For my ears, on any rock music with a harder edge, the drums and guitar really play well with each other due to the extra punch and glue of the low end. Some of the "wet blanket" kick drums from the dawn of the 90's grunge era are nicely flattered by the lower resonant frequency.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 22, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #4,427 of 6,686
No problem at all. I use Hart modular cables. All the amps are wired already. I just need to buy the cable required. 3.5mm covers quite a bit, but there are also six other cables required.

My "pre-wired" amps at the ready: :smile:
Oh so you keep the 1/4 inch cable in the amps and just plug in the modular end? Any issues with it?

How long are the modular cables you have in your amps?

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #4,428 of 6,686
Oh so you keep the 1/4 inch cable in the amps and just plug in the modular end? Any issues with it?

How long are the modular cables you have in your amps?
Haven't had any issues at all. The modular cables are 4.5ft in length. You can customize longer versions. My rack is beside my chair and I found them a bit short. I bought extensions as shown in the pic.

You buy the interconnects that you need for your amps. Then the cables tend to be very affordable.

I also tend to roll amps a Lot and this is super convenient. :smile:

They also make conventional cables. Check out:
https://hartaudiocables.com/

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #4,430 of 6,686
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #4,431 of 6,686
For those discussing headphone returns.....our local Bay Bloor Radio has new terms.
https://baybloorradio.com/delivery-returns-instore
"HEADPHONES / EARPHONES
No returns/exchanges once opened for hygienic reasons."

Mind you they do have an extensive demo facility. (wonder if they lend out demos for out of towners)
https://baybloorradio.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones. : )
Good luck enforcing this. Folks who are not happy with their purchase will just do a credit card charge back and leave negative reviews on social media.

I picked up my first 800S after my brief demo at a store - that’s my 5th time trying these and I had pretty much given up on the cans. I am pretty sure I would keep the cans if their performance conforms with the demo unit. I guess if they don’t sound close to the demo I will just keep rotating through units until I find one that sounds right. Fingers crossed senn has relatively low unit to unit variance with their 800S.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #4,432 of 6,686
... I am pretty sure I would keep the cans if their performance conforms with the demo unit. I guess if they don’t sound close to the demo I will just keep rotating through units until I find one that sounds right. Fingers crossed senn has relatively low unit to unit variance with their 800S.
It is amazing how identical my two HD-650 sound. My first pair, bought in 2003, has the original black silk internal mesh and the second, bought in 2022, has the fine metallic internal mesh. Both are made in Ireland. With the exact same new pads they sound practically indistinguishable and they measure almost identical on my miniDSP Ears measuring jig. The "old" pair is still intact after 20 years of heavy and happy use (a very minor peeling at the edge of the headband center is the only sign that it is used!). I highly regard Sennheiser for their quality control too, among all other virtues.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #4,433 of 6,686
Good luck enforcing this. Folks who are not happy with their purchase will just do a credit card charge back and leave negative reviews on social media.

I picked up my first 800S after my brief demo at a store - that’s my 5th time trying these and I had pretty much given up on the cans. I am pretty sure I would keep the cans if their performance conforms with the demo unit. I guess if they don’t sound close to the demo I will just keep rotating through units until I find one that sounds right. Fingers crossed senn has relatively low unit to unit variance with their 800S.
Good luck with trying that much more than once.

When I owned my own business I had a ten day return policy. That was enough time to try something out once or twice and make sure liked it.

People squawked at me saying I needed to have 30, 60 or 90 day return periods. So I contacted my local gov. dept and asked what the legal requirement was for returns/refunds. I was told you don't legally need to provide refunds/returns at all, unless the item is defective. Blew my mind.

I bet that is the law in more places than you would think.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #4,434 of 6,686
For my ears, on any rock music with a harder edge, the drums and guitar really play well with each other due to the extra punch and glue of the low end. Some of the "wet blanket" kick drums from the dawn of the 90's grunge era are nicely flattered by the lower resonant frequency.
Especially if you throw them on some tubes! It's not as drastic of a change as some other high impedance I have heard, but it definitely flavored it up.

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #4,435 of 6,686
It is amazing how identical my two HD-650 sound. My first pair, bought in 2003, has the original black silk internal mesh and the second, bought in 2022, has the fine metallic internal mesh. Both are made in Ireland. With the exact same new pads they sound practically indistinguishable and they measure almost identical on my miniDSP Ears measuring jig. The "old" pair is still intact after 20 years of heavy and happy use (a very minor peeling at the edge of the headband center is the only sign that it is used!). I highly regard Sennheiser for their quality control too, among all other virtues.
I am not that concerned. The fact that senn now tests each 800S and includes test data means they test each pair before shipping. I was talking generally about my feeling on unit to unit variance with cans.

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #4,436 of 6,686
Good luck with trying that much more than once.

When I owned my own business I had a ten day return policy. That was enough time to try something out once or twice and make sure liked it.

People squawked at me saying I needed to have 30, 60 or 90 day return periods. So I contacted my local gov. dept and asked what the legal requirement was for returns/refunds. I was told you don't legally need to provide refunds/returns at all, unless the item is defective. Blew my mind.

I bet that is the law in more places than you would think.
I am perfectly fine with no return if my copy sounds like the demo copy. I can tell you back in the days (long time ago) when unit to unit variance was fairly significant with plannar cans, we used to ask dealers to open all the boxes until we find one that sounds like the demo. Things have gotten a lot better now and obviously this hobby has gotten way too popular now for dealers to do this.

I don’t know about you but in my opinion I view a copy of cans that sound different from the demo as defective.

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #4,437 of 6,686
I am perfectly fine with no return if my copy sounds like the demo copy. I can tell you back in the days (long time ago) when unit to unit variance was fairly significant with plannar cans, we used to ask dealers to open all the boxes until we find one that sounds like the demo. Things have gotten a lot better now and obviously this hobby has gotten way too popular now for dealers to do this.

I don’t know about you but in my opinion I view a copy of cans that sound different from the demo as defective.
That would be an interesting argument to make. Tough if the seller took time to check it out and could not hear a difference though.

This is a situation where having a relationship with your dealer would be awesome.

My ten day return policy could be bent depending on the situation. However, if you were a "Karen", it was written in stone. :grin:

Jul 23, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #4,439 of 6,686
And what if they just pair well with the HDV820?
Then that’s a design flaw or choice on senn and senn/store/dealer should have said something in their sale process or on the packaging.

For example, if you buy HE1 it’s pretty obvious the cans work well only with the accompanying Sennheiser amplifier :sunglasses:

Jul 23, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #4,440 of 6,686
Has anyone tried the ZMF lambskin perf pads on their HD660S2 yet? Any impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back