Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jul 24, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #4,456 of 6,844
Earpads are a significant part of the tuning of a headphone. They are specific for their matched drivers and housings. We cannot really expect them to work well on different headphones - it can happen only by chance. There are not good sounding and bad sounding earpads without correlated synergy with a specific headphone!
Not only the material properties of the earpad, but even the amount of wear makes a huge difference. My 660S sound different with their well worn v2 pads vs. swapping in brand new pads.

Jul 24, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #4,457 of 6,844
My 660S sound different with their well worn v2 pads vs. swapping in brand new pads.

This is the exact reason I opt for alternative pads on my 6xx series headphones, stock pads are too finicky with changing the presentation of the music when they're worn.
Lambskin perforated pads are much better imo at holding form.

Jul 25, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #4,458 of 6,844
The packaging MAY or MAY NOT have the poly bag around it. Leaving the factory all HD 660S2 have this bag; it prevents chaffing during shipping inside the master carton. Some retailers may keep the bag or remove it (we hope they keep it) depending on their own operation.

Correct - they are not shrink wrapped. Thank you for the suggestion however--we'll pass this along.
Would like to suggest implementing a tamper proof sticker seal for headphones, similar to what is done for IEMs.

It’s more hygienic and creates a more predictable purchase experience as some retailers have return options.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #4,459 of 6,844
This was so cool to watch.

I love that Jermo is at the helm now, its clear to see the passion he has for audio. I'm not sure when exactly he began handling the audiophile line, but I know that I'm a huge fan of recent Sennheiser releases like the 660S2 and 560S which I believe he managed. I love the direction Sennheiser is moving in, trying to improve on the few areas where the community felt their headphones were weak in. As much as I love the older entries like the 650, I enjoy the recent improvements even more.

I'm firmly in the camp that measurements are useful info but do not tell the whole story. Nothing is a substitute for listening. I feel confident knowing that my favorite brand shares that sentiment to a degree.

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #4,460 of 6,844
660s2560s.jpg

Looks like he had fun putting those 660 drivers into the 560. I would imagine this would angle it a bit?

Jul 26, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #4,461 of 6,844
The more that I listen with the s2, the more that my fondness and enjoyment for them grows. In fact, over the course of the past for weeks I've listened with them almost exclusively. And maybe two times I've swapped out for my trusty 650 only finding myself wanting to go right back to the s2. For my own personal preferences, the s2 is essentially an improved 650...at least in terms of tuning (bass response, improved treble, staging and quickness). And when paired with the BHC and a good DAC, it may be the best bargain/value of any setup that I've ever owned. And one of the most enjoyable in terms of comfort and accessible sound signature.

I feel that with an OTL amp, the true potential of the s2 is unleashed. Possibly that's why I didn't rate it as highly when I originally evaluated it. I mostly tested the s2 on solid state. And like most of the 6x0 line, there is certainly some "scale" with tube amps with the s2. I also may have underrated the s2 because of my own personal bias towards the 650. And I think that's only fair, having owned the 650 for almost 15 years. Definitely my warm blanket headphone.

Do I now rate the s2 high enough that it makes the 650 obsolete in my collection of headphones? Honestly, I don't know yet. Time will tell. I do find that it's difficult for me to switch back to the 650 after extended periods with the s2. Maybe if I listened only to the 650 for an extended period I could get back to my happy place with them. Regardless, if I have found an improved 650 then it's a great day for me...truly.

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #4,462 of 6,844
Earpads are a significant part of the tuning of a headphone. They are specific for their matched drivers and housings. We cannot really expect them to work well on different headphones - it can happen only by chance. There are not good sounding and bad sounding earpads without correlated synergy with a specific headphone!
This is why I stopped chasing after the ideal or perfect exact sound, and learned to settle for “good approximation” when it comes to earpads. Inevitably, manufacturers discontinue their products, and there’s no guarantee that they would reuse the same pads for subsequent models. There’s no way in hell I am going to dispose of perfectly functioning headphones just because there are no more OEM pads.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #4,463 of 6,844
The more that I listen with the s2, the more that my fondness and enjoyment for them grows. In fact, over the course of the past for weeks I've listened with them almost exclusively. And maybe two times I've swapped out for my trusty 650 only finding myself wanting to go right back to the s2. For my own personal preferences, the s2 is essentially an improved 650...at least in terms of tuning (bass response, improved treble, staging and quickness). And when paired with the BHC and a good DAC, it may be the best bargain/value of any setup that I've ever owned. And one of the most enjoyable in terms of comfort and accessible sound signature.

I feel that with an OTL amp, the true potential of the s2 is unleashed. Possibly that's why I didn't rate it as highly when I originally evaluated it. I mostly tested the s2 on solid state. And like most of the 6x0 line, there is certainly some "scale" with tube amps with the s2. I also may have underrated the s2 because of my own personal bias towards the 650. And I think that's only fair, having owned the 650 for almost 15 years. Definitely my warm blanket headphone.

Do I now rate the s2 high enough that it makes the 650 obsolete in my collection of headphones? Honestly, I don't know yet. Time will tell. I do find that it's difficult for me to switch back to the 650 after extended periods with the s2. Maybe if I listened only to the 650 for an extended period I could get back to my happy place with them. Regardless, if I have found an improved 650 then it's a great day for me...truly.

I find the HD660S2 quite different than the HD650 personally. The S2 is a stellar headphone that offers more clarity and spaciousness but the mids presentation is also different than that of the HD650.
The layering in the HD650 is a bit better than the S2.

A true upgrade for a HD650 would be a modded one like the JAR650.

I will also wait patiently for my JAR660S2, it will be a while before I get it back.....

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #4,464 of 6,844
I find the HD660S2 quite different than the HD650 personally. The S2 is a stellar headphone that offers more clarity and spaciousness but the mids presentation is also different than that of the HD650.
The layering in the HD650 is a bit better than the S2.

A true upgrade for a HD650 would be a modded one like the JAR650.

I will also wait patiently for my JAR660S2, it will be a while before I get it back.....
We will have to disagree on this one. I've heard many 650 mods including jar and the s2 beats then all imo. And I don't find the mids that much different. Slightly but not appreciately different. Plus jar gets a little heavier and not as comfortable.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #4,465 of 6,844
Now, ones mileage may vary... was using some no name but descent lambskin pads but have gone back to the originals. I guess if its not broken don't fix it. : )
Lol...I need to retract my statement as I just realized I still have the lambskin installed on my S2s, never did get around to reinstalling the original pads. (seniors moment :ksc75smile:)

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4,467 of 6,844
We will have to disagree on this one. I've heard many 650 mods including jar and the s2 beats then all imo. And I don't find the mids that much different. Slightly but not appreciately different. Plus jar gets a little heavier and not as comfortable.

I'm going to have to disagree on this one :)
At this point it's all about the presentation, the HD650 is not incredibly resolving or has head thumping bass but it's the realistic presentation that makes me come back to it. The Caldera is fantastic but even the HD650 can do things so wonderfully that other $3000+ headphones can't do. The S2 is fantastic as well but is different than the HD650, hard to describe but I would say the mids are a bit distant than what I'm used to with the HD650, perhaps it's also the slightly faster transients that distinguishes itself further from the HD650.

Either way, all these headphones are keepers, I'm glad to have all of them. Excited for the JAR mods.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #4,468 of 6,844
If there's any headphone that sounds more natural than the HD6xx/650, I haven't heard it. The timbre is just unmatched on them.

It's true that you sacrifice a bit of that on the 660S2, but I also think it beats the 6xx in pretty much every other area. It's hard to describe, but it sounds a tiny bit less natural and "real", but you get the added low end presence and authority, better imaging and head stage, better treble resolution, and the driver is just able to evince way more detail than the the 6xx driver.

The only thing I still find superior on the 6xx, and 58x for that matter, is the chassis. I just find the older, more rounded mold to be a bit more comfortable somehow, and it also doesn't squeak or creak like the newer angular mold does. I think it's mainly to do with where the metal headband meets the hinges on the cups. Something is just smoother on the old chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back