Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #4,441 of 6,800
Has anyone tried the ZMF lambskin perf pads on their HD660S2 yet? Any impressions?
Here...
did some pad swap with ZMF pads on 660s2

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/zmf-hd6xx-sub-pads

here is what i find
(i also remove the thin layer of sponge like stuff between the driver and pad)

perforated lambskin:very noticeble wider soundstage and more separation
more bass body
mids push backward a bit
smoothed sound compare to og pad

perforated suede:better transparency and frontal depth
more airy and clear highs
mids is pushed back more than lambskin
improved imaging

personally i prefer suede for JAZZ and perforated for vocals

hard to pick one for better, but they both feels more comfortable compare to og pad.

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4,442 of 6,800

Excellent, thanks! Glad to know that the ZMF magic also improves on the HD660S2 as well!
I bit disappointing that Sennheiser couldn't update the old pad design and material, but I guess it's easier for the to keep reselling the stock pads once they wear out.....

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #4,443 of 6,800
I bit disappointing that Sennheiser couldn't update the old pad design and material,
Now, ones mileage may vary... was using some no name but descent lambskin pads but have gone back to the originals. I guess if its not broken don't fix it. : )
Just received my perforated lambskin ear pads for the HD660S2...Still early but they do appear to make the overall sound just a little crisper (could be all psychological, fuzzy vs smooth) , less warm, edging in the direction of the HD800S which still hold the upper hand in-terms of staging, definition and overall technicalities.

Slighter thinner than stock which could affect staging.
IMG_7103.JPG

Not being a fan of velour pads I do appreciate the feel and comfort
IMG_7105.JPG

And now I have 3 Senns in Black Leather. :sunglasses:
IMG_7108.JPG

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,446 of 6,800
I've heard from Jupiter Audio Research about his mod on the HD660S2 and while he hasn't made any official announcement about the available of the mod yet, he has made some examples and sent them to his local friends.
He tells me that the HD660S2 was already a very decent headphone, the JAR660S2 is a "monster".

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #4,447 of 6,800
I've heard from Jupiter Audio Research about his mod on the HD660S2 and while he hasn't made any official announcement about the available of the mod yet, he has made some examples and sent them to his local friends.
He tells me that the HD660S2 was already a very decent headphone, the JAR660S2 is a "monster".
But a monster in what way? It sounds pretty good to me already. What is he adding or removing?

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #4,448 of 6,800
Jul 24, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #4,449 of 6,800
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #4,450 of 6,800
Yeah, solid pads are typically gonna be for ZMF's closed back headphones and perforated (fenestrated) are usually for open backs. For the ZMF crowd, this has been true for years.

Thanks for the impressions!
I've been using the solid lambskin Ori pads on my open-back HE-400i for years and it sounds great.

I thought it'd sound the same or similar with HD660S2. Boy was I wrong.

ZMF should have a disclaimer on the pad's page to warn people about this, since they don't accept returns on pad purchases.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #4,451 of 6,800
I've been using the solid lambskin Ori pads on my open-back HE-400i for years and it sounds great.

ZMF should have a disclaimer on the pad's page to warn people about this, since they don't accept returns on pad purchases.
Just noticed you have both the HD700 and 660S2. Did you ever try the original 660S?

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #4,452 of 6,800
Beyond the Curve episode 1 was awesome.

Listening to Jermo and Werner was confidence inspiring that they have some fresh new blood with the passion of old.

The future seems exciting as they stated dynamic drivers still have much potential, echoing their previous headphone master Axel.

It's nice to know Jermo was basically tinkering with headphones in his basement only not too long ago, and is also an enthusiast as heart who gets to play with all the toys and Sennheiser working on future projects.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #4,453 of 6,800

ZMF should have a disclaimer on the pad's page to warn people about this** since they don't accept returns on pad purchases.
** Really? Would not a common sense consideration of headphone design, materials differences suggest that a pad’s ‘successful’ use across headphones is serendipitous?

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #4,454 of 6,800
Jul 24, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #4,455 of 6,800
Earpads are a significant part of the tuning of a headphone. They are specific for their matched drivers and housings. We cannot really expect them to work well on different headphones - it can happen only by chance. There are not good sounding and bad sounding earpads without correlated synergy with a specific headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back