Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 1, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,831 of 6,720
I'm actually liking this S2 pouch thing. On my way to work with S2. Really handy.
20230301_091035.jpg

Ps. Like Rob80b said... Looking forward to HD800S2 😎
Please no.

I JUST finally got an 800s several weeks ago after years of having it as my ultimate goal. A new model would effectively break me lol

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #1,836 of 6,720
No way. I don't want to scratch these beauties with the 4.4mm plug bounching inside the bag. :scream:🤣
Sennsheriser products are built to last. You can email them, and they will tell you the same thing. just toss it in the grocery bags and call it a day - 🤣

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #1,837 of 6,720
Today is the day to appreciate that little extra bass from the S2.
50th Anniversary 03/01/73 (no politics please :confused: )
https://tidal.com/browse/album/55391786
Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png
Good avatar!...got my original copy from back then all lined up for the 50th Anniversary on March 1st, just in case I don't remember, never know at my age. : ) I'm actually looking forward to see how the S2 fair with the base bass.

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,838 of 6,720
Following on the earlier discussion about drivers, am I correct in my impression that the 660S and 660S2 both use the same driver? Differently tuned mounting/housing/enclosure properties account for the differences in sound, not changes to the driver itself? Or is it an updated and changed driver in some way as well?

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,839 of 6,720
Following on the earlier discussion about drivers, am I correct in my impression that the 660S and 660S2 both use the same driver?
No... : (
The acoustic difference between HD 660S and HD 660S2 have mostly been achieved by significant changes to the transducer, which has a markedly different diaphragm, voice coil and magnet chassis, which are the primary components of the motor. I already elaborated on the diaphragm, the voice coil is also new and has an impedance closer to 350 Ohms, and the magnet chassis had to be revised to accommodate the larger excursion. So if your definition of "driver" is different acoustically relevant elements, then this a new driver. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's much harder to build and costs us up to 3 times as much as the original SYS40. To me, those differences make it a new transducer.

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #1,840 of 6,720
Thank you, I felt I had read something about them being different but couldn't find it - appreciate your posting in general, btw, reasonable & thoughtful posts!

Call me crazy, halfway wanting a backup 660S despite the total for two meaning I could have saved my cash and got the successor. This is probably my favorite headphone in terms of voicing and performance overall that I've owned.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #1,843 of 6,720
At the rate they have been releasing new cans in the last couple of years between the new IEs and HDs … if there ever was a time, now would be it… I’m not buying anything else Sennheiser until they go a full year without releasing a new audiophile product, that way I can convince myself that the release cadence as slowed down again and nothing new will be coming …

Of course if you have insider info, go ahead and spill the beans, the whole of headfi is like 0.0000001% of the internet so not a big deal, and we can all get our wallets ready :)!

LOL

I have a REALLY strong feeling that Sennheiser will be introducing a new 800 series soon...

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #1,844 of 6,720
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,845 of 6,720
At the rate they have been releasing new cans in the last couple of years between the new IEs and HDs … if there ever was a time, now would be it… I’m not buying anything else Sennheiser until they go a full year without releasing a new audiophile product, that way I can convince myself that the release cadence as slowed down again and nothing new will be coming …

Of course if you have insider info, go ahead and spill the beans, the whole of headfi is the best 0.0000001% of the internet so it is a big deal, and we can all get our wallets ready :)!
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.] 😏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back