Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,861 of 6,844
No insider information but I have a few dealers who's inventory, out-of-stock and discounts I use as bellwethers.

The Og 600 is on sale for $259 on Amazon. I’ve had the massdrop 6xx for years but at that price I just had to hear the grandaddy that started it all even if the differences are minute. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s part of this move to clear out inventory for new stuff.

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,862 of 6,844
I always appreciate your replies. They are spot-on even if are provoked by our mistaken or "silly" thoughts. Sometimes "suspicions" are better to be expressed and removed than staying.
About EQing the music or "the headphones": it would be ideal if we only had to use EQ for less than ideal recordings or according to preferences. Headphones can have extreme differences in tonality. The extreme cases are hard to listen without some correction (EQ) but some headphones do not need it. Others only need some small correction. It appears that the HD-800S (and certainly the HD-800) needs it more often than some, to sound more natural. (A few can teach themselves to enjoy lack of sub-bass or overexposed treble. Personally, I was perfectly fine with the small tonal inadequacies of the HD-650 but couldn't enjoy the HD-800 for long when I tried). In 2023 I don't like/accept EQing or having to use pc/software/dsp to listen with headphones. Not if I pay much to enjoy a fine pair of headphones. I appreciate very much evolution and improvement where possible.
Totally understood.... "EQ The headphones" is acceptable shorthand around here but I try to chime in every now and then to remind people that you are only making the music sound like what the transducer is already capable of reproducing :) I always appreciate your responses & questions! We are absolutely and actively listening to the community. As comfortable as I am with EQ as a pro audio guy I prefer not to use it on the HiFi side. The synergy is much more important. Cheers!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,863 of 6,844
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #1,864 of 6,844
The next gen Sennheiser headphone is generally speculated the same day the current gen is launched lol. We try not to comment on speculation but there's no HD 800S2 or HD 900.
Let's make HD-830! We'll be happy with an HD-850 too!
(You'll never get rid of us :sweat_smile: ).

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,865 of 6,844
@ericpalonen, I see your words … and I see that you understand that anything we write here is not intended to come across as critique but as “Sennheiser, the community has shown commitment. Now, hurry up and give us more HDs … preferably something that is a new reference like the HD800”… :L3000:

So we love the 660S and the S2 and everything else you guys have done so far but not going to lie, they aren’t a new Sennheiser flagship. I think seeing how the HD800 and 800S still compete today, how it scale, how reliable it is, etc - it is quite natural for folks to wonder what can Sennheiser achieve with a new flagship with an earthly price (not like the HE1).

I sincerely appreciate the enthusiasm. A few quick notes:

The HD 660S2 was actually ready last year but we pushed it to Feb '23, and had been in development for awhile even before that. As Jermo mentioned the driver itself is more complex and costly to manufacture, but the chassis is a proven one and quite popular. Yes there are competitors but this was not a response to them. The headphone we had to beat was the HD 660S (mk 1).

Also, we don't EQ the actual headphones...you're referring to people EQ'ing the music they are listening to. Our development team tunes the headphones' listening experience using electro acoustics and other acoustic principles. To assume someone sits in a room and just turns a dial to create a new flavor is quite inaccurate and an oversimplification. There is a lot that goes into development, testing, and then mass production of a headphone. Even after the sound is settled upon, it would bore most people to tears and a significant portion of the process involves endless excel workbooks and video calls, not so much listening to new headphones. I can't say too much but the HD 800S is actually selling more now than ever before. We're always working on the next thing in every category, as is everyone else we compete with, too.

If you are going to start doing this, we want to play a little longer: is anything coming that falls in this range HD“>800” ? :)

The next gen Sennheiser headphone is generally speculated the same day the current gen is launched lol. We try not to comment on speculation but there's no HD 800S2 or HD 900.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #1,867 of 6,844
The Og 600 is on sale for $259 on Amazon. I’ve had the massdrop 6xx for years but at that price I just had to hear the grandaddy that started it all even if the differences are minute. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s part of this move to clear out inventory for new stuff.

I love the HD600 and I think there is a large difference between the HD6XX and the HD600, everyone always says that it is small differences and I suppose that it true but ultimately it is a very different listen.

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,868 of 6,844
I can’t tell if you’re being serious or sarcastic. Link if serious? :) no joke I saw this and spent 30 mins googling to no avail haha
We're always working on the next thing in every category, as is everyone else we compete with, too.
That is what @Fegefeuer probably refers to plus the fact that the formidable ie900 was released not too long ago by the same team which did the HD660S2 and the HD560S.

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #1,869 of 6,844
Guys, there is a [not HD800S2 or HD 900] coming! :L3000: :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,870 of 6,844
Guys, there is a [not HD800S2 or HD 900] coming! :L3000:
excerpt from West Side Story:
F0DFA593-DD4F-4132-973B-14344984618A.jpeg

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,871 of 6,844
I've owned the 58x and 660s, and currently own the 6xx and 660s2. I am super tempted to grab the HD600 at this sale price just to experience it lol.

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,872 of 6,844
I've owned the 58x and 660s, and currently own the 6xx and 660s2. I am super tempted to grab the HD600 at this sale price just to experience it lol.
Hi. Get it , you won't regret it. Mine were only £218 the other week from Senn direct New. Only thing the box is just a box. Lol. No nice case etc

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,873 of 6,844
I love the HD600 and I think there is a large difference between the HD6XX and the HD600, everyone always says that it is small differences and I suppose that it true but ultimately it is a very different listen.

My immediate impressiohs

i have all these. Like Daniel days above, the differences may be small but I immediately found the 600 brighter than the rest, it’s a good complement to the S2 as its opposite twin.

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,874 of 6,844
My immediate impressiohs

i have all these. Like Daniel days above, the differences may be small but I immediately found the 600 brighter than the rest, it’s a good complement to the S2 as its opposite twin.

I wouldn't call the HD600 bright, it just has less thick midrange than the others so sound is more open, according to FR the HD600 is about the most flat can out there it's really flat except bass that rolls off

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #1,875 of 6,844
Hi. Get it , you won't regret it. Mine were only £218 the other week from Senn direct New. Only thing the box is just a box. Lol. No nice case etc
One can get a nice case on Amazon, on EBay etc. This is how I store HD-600, HD-6XX, HD-660S2.
C80B8247-F8A4-4FFB-8454-DD1305926939.jpeg
0CCFDC86-4C0F-4C90-93AC-7431EE4551B9.jpeg
[Shown is HD-600 with Custom Cans UK modification and cable. Each headphone has a case.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back