Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,816 of 6,740
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #1,817 of 6,740
Many reviews on other forums said the s2 doesn’t have the coarse sounding of the s1 but above comments here said the s1 to be more relaxing. I am confused..
The transducer is lighter on its feet, with a much smoother treble response vs the S1. That will yield a more liquid experience and to many will appear relaxed. I encourage people to A/B it with the 800S in terms of detail retrieval -- it holds its own without appearing bright, sibilant or brittle IMHO
I'm in the camp that the S2 sounds smoother/ more refined than S1. S2 has better dynamics but loses the sharp edge the S1 had on some frequencies, especially lower treble.
Totally agree. This can is a percussionists' dream.
Just got mine, off the bat I noticed an improvement in the treble, increase in bass and more depth in the soundstage.

Gonna sit with them for a while but enjoying them so far. :) Running off xDuoo TA-20 tube amp, & Mojo 2.
Welcome to the #HD660S2Club!
But does it also mean that the NDH 30 uses an "inferior" driver compared to the 600, 650, 660S and 660S2 drivers? SYS38 vs SYS40. Jermo spoke of some quite clear limitations of the 560S driver (SYS38) inherent from its build materials.
Apples vs oranges. Some materials are better suited for a certain motor than others. The limitations for one application can be a strength in others. The diaphragm, due to its composition, is actually impressively capable but depending on what you want to do with it, may not be relevant.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 1, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #1,818 of 6,740
He was right. Treble is grainy and dead sounding.
No it is still is not. I have never ever heard any graininess on the HD660S, never. And what is dead sounding to begin with? Could you please explain?

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #1,820 of 6,740
Believe that's all we really only wanted, at least I did, so IMHO, mission accomplished. :thumbsup: :)
Agreed. 660s was my favorite headphone. All I wanted for was more treble presence and a bit more low end. The enhanced treble has been the biggest boon for me, so damn happy with it.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #1,821 of 6,740
The transducer is lighter on its feet, with a much smoother treble response vs the S1. That will yield a more liquid experience and to many will appear relaxed. I encourage people to A/B it with the 800S in terms of detail retrieval -- it holds its own without appearing bright, sibilant or brittle IMHO
Funny you would say that...last night I was spending some time with Joni Mitchell "Hejira"
https://tidal.com/browse/album/391640
Here I was listening to a few tracks and then swapped the S2 the 800S, the S2 was always the smoother, less grain but with the same amount of inherent detail and IMHO holds more than its own, obviously the S2 is more intimate tonally and in its staging...but now looking forward to a HD800S2. :relieved:
Must admit the HD660S, while still good didn't compete on the same level with the 800S and always was my second choice, the S2 changes that, I feel they are more on equal ground, just different.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,822 of 6,740
Jermo spoke of some quite clear limitations of the 560S driver (SYS38) inherent from its build materials.

Jarmo also has the 560S as his avatar as I am writing.
Anyway, I don't believe that Sennheiser really want to imply that the NHD 30 uses an inferior driver. That would be an extreme contradiction. Eric's reply above puts things in a clear perspective.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,823 of 6,740
No it is still is not. I have never ever heard any graininess on the HD660S, never. And what is dead sounding to begin with? Could you please explain?
The original. This has been covered here. But treble on the current one is still on the dead side, as in a tad lifeless and lacking some air and sparkle, not breathing openly, if you like. If the measurements can be trusted, the S2 takes care of this problem (for whom it is a problem).

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #1,824 of 6,740
Funny you would say that...last night I was spending some time with Joni Mitchell "Hejira"
https://tidal.com/browse/album/391640
Here I was listening to a few tracks and then swapped the S2 the 800S, the S2 was always the smoother, less grain but with the same amount of inherent detail and IMHO holds more than its own, obviously the S2 is more intimate tonally and in its staging...but now looking forward to a HD800S2. :relieved:
Must admit the HD660S, while still good didn't compete on the same level with the 800S and always was my second choice, the S2 changes that, I feel they are more on equal ground, just different.
Smoother, less grain. Now that’s music to my ears.

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #1,825 of 6,740
I'm actually liking this S2 pouch thing. On my way to work with S2. Really handy.
20230301_091035.jpg

Ps. Like Rob80b said... Looking forward to HD800S2 😎

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,827 of 6,740
Smoother, less grain. Now that’s music to my ears.
Whatever Sennheiser has done the upper frequencies are just reproduced cleaner.

Quite often most complaints come from the treble region, but besides unwanted spikes and what nots it's getting the high frequency waveforms in sync and when they are not, the ear is not happy.
Years ago when tuning analogue synths the upper frequencies were always problematic and then digital was introduced which brought huge problems of it own, especially for the higher frequencies. If you can imagine the numbers involved in actually reproducing the 10s of 1000's of vibrations per second needed to compose a waveform and then get it properly converted with a DAC (which then introduces more problems), and remember to be then synced in stereo for an electrical signal to drive an electro-mechanical analogue device to finally recreate little fragile vibrations that enter the ear, ...say no more. ...oh and then CDs came out.:deadhorse:

Honestly, sometimes I wonder even after 40 years if we have yet to get that right and the problem gets confounded as the drivers get better and better only to expose more hidden problems up the digital chain. :worried:

I regress. lol

For anyone wants to get their head around it your welcome to borrow a book I bought back in1980.
BC08E09A-3E0A-4F67-9537-4047618AE1E5.jpeg
C34B6833-E188-44DD-AF20-EF9815CB630C.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,828 of 6,740
Agreed. 660s was my favorite headphone. All I wanted for was more treble presence and a bit more low end. The enhanced treble has been the biggest boon for me, so damn happy with it.
Exactly what I am looking for and Its all in the HD660S2. So happy to finally put the sub bass and veil to bed. Well I don't find it veil in the previous model but it certainly cater to most people who loves the "enhanced" treble.

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #1,829 of 6,740

The detailed retrieval is impressive. This statement is exactly how I felt about the HD660S2. Detail retrieval without sibilant. Not many headphones out there are like this. Most headphones like the HIfiman have the details but always almost come with enhancing the treble to a sibilant level. Its like you want the details - then bear with the sibilant.. The HD660S2 is a breath of fresh air. Finally you can have your cake and eat it. lol

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,830 of 6,740
:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: should I pick up a pair to try out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back